Which closed around the ear with Schiit Magni + Modi (or Loki for DSD)
Oct 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Milca604

New Head-Fier
I don't understand this fully, but i know there are headphones that have minimal benefit from a DAC or desktop amp, and I probably cannot use a speaker amp for headphones. I know a DAC and an amp would improve the sound, but I do not know to what extent, or if it's worth the extra money for lower end such as Magni + Modi.

There are still so many questions that I need to read, but without trying it, it's all just theory, so I've decided that I've gotta start somewhere. To keep things simple, I've decided to just buy the Schiit Magni + Modi combo that keeps popping up throughout my research and just find a headphone that's a good match with them.

I am looking for a full size, around the ear, closed headphone to use with my desktop (non-portable)
(possible Loki for DSD is because I don't want my source file to be the weakest link, but I suspect changing Modi to Loki will trigger other changed that cost more than I'm ready for. So please ignore if it's irrelevant)

I've tried my friend's Audio Technica M50, and I like it, except it would be more comfortable if the cup is a bit bigger.

Really appreciate the helps from the community
Thanks in advance

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 17
So we can assume your planning on hooking up an external DAC and head amp to a computer?
Did you have a budget? (DAC/Amp/headphones)

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 17
Yes,

I intend to hook it up to a PC, or a MacBook Pro
The Magni + Modi is about $200
I'm not sure about headphones because
1. If it's too cheap, it probably doesn't even need an amp
2. If it's too high end, the amp probably cannot bring out the headphone's full potential

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 17
  Yes,

2. If it's too high end, the amp probably cannot bring out the headphone's full potential

Hmm... I don't think the Magni + Modi would be the weakest link... I believe the headphone will be your weakest link... I suggest that you go try and audit a pair of cans you like, then look for a amp/DAC setup that will suit you. 

But do you have a lot of DSD files? Otherwise, looks to me, the Schiit would be a good setup. What sort of music do you listen to? I am using the iUSB+IDAC with a PanAm, I am happy with it. Although, my Magni+Modi are on the way, thanks to the China Holidays and US Postal service, it's on the way for almost two weeks. I live in Beijing for work purposes, space and privacy are a rare commodity. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 17
  Yes,

No matter what headphones you get, you'll want to get an amplifier to drive them at their best.
Headphone wise, the Audio Technica ATH-A900X ($225) are my current favorite closed headphone for music & movies.
Would work fine with the Magni/Modi.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 17
I have the Schiit Magni and Modi. Love them. I do not lose much when switching from them to my Woo Fireflies system. I have a set of Shure 840s I use with the Schiit stack and I've got to tell you I really love these headphones. Find my other posts for a fairly detailed commentary I made on them yesterday. I like them better than my Sennheiser HD600s

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 17

Hmm... I don't think the Magni + Modi would be the weakest link... I believe the headphone will be your weakest link... I suggest that you go try and audit a pair of cans you like, then look for a amp/DAC setup that will suit you. 

But do you have a lot of DSD files? Otherwise, looks to me, the Schiit would be a good setup. What sort of music do you listen to? I am using the iUSB+IDAC with a PanAm, I am happy with it. Although, my Magni+Modi are on the way, thanks to the China Holidays and US Postal service, it's on the way for almost two weeks. I live in Beijing for work purposes, space and privacy are a rare commodity. 

Oh, by weakest link, i meant the source such as mp3. I do not have DSD file right now. Just thinking if that should be the way to go if I want to get into Audiophile listening. and unfortunately, I do not understand what you meant by iUSB, IDAC and PanAm. I will need to do more research to figure that out. Thank you for your suggestions

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 17
  No matter what headphones you get, you'll want to get an amplifier to drive them at their best.
Headphone wise, the Audio Technica ATH-A900X ($225) are my current favorite closed headphone for music & movies.
Would work fine with the Magni/Modi.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought lower end headphones, including ATH-A900X does not require amplifier.
I was actually looking to buy Audio Technica ATH-A900X a month ago, but because I live in Vancovuer (we do not sell Audio Technica stuff in Canada) and when I went down to Seattle, no one was carrying them (or I do not know where to go find one). I ended up not being able to buy one, and is having second thought ever since.

Do you know where I would be able to try one on?
or do you just order them?

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 17
I have the Schiit Magni and Modi. Love them. I do not lose much when switching from them to my Woo Fireflies system. I have a set of Shure 840s I use with the Schiit stack and I've got to tell you I really love these headphones. Find my other posts for a fairly detailed commentary I made on them yesterday. I like them better than my Sennheiser HD600s

Man... the Woo Fireflies looks so sexy it makes me drool. Too much for a beginner like me to afford tho. I will have to stick with Magni+Modi. I've just started reading your post on Shure 840. Thanks

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 17
Oh, by weakest link, i meant the source such as mp3. I do not have DSD file right now. Just thinking if that should be the way to go if I want to get into Audiophile listening. and unfortunately, I do not understand what you meant by iUSB, IDAC and PanAm. I will need to do more research to figure that out. Thank you for your suggestions

Sorry for the late reply, iUSB and iDAC are products of ifi Audio, these guys also have a range of other products, but I really have not got a chance really try their amp, the iCAN...

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 17
  Thanks for the clarification. I thought lower end headphones, including ATH-A900X does not require amplifier.
I was actually looking to buy Audio Technica ATH-A900X a month ago, but because I live in Vancovuer (we do not sell Audio Technica stuff in Canada) and when I went down to Seattle, no one was carrying them (or I do not know where to go find one). I ended up not being able to buy one, and is having second thought ever since.

Do you know where I would be able to try one on?
or do you just order them?

Audio Technica ATH-A900X work fine without a headphone amplifier, but a low impedance headphone amplifier would (should) improve audio quality.
Do  not really know where you could go to try on the A900X, but you can always take your time and read up on the A900X and other headphones before ordering one.

Also sometimes you can find a good price on a used A900X.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 17

Audio Technica ATH-A900X work fine without a headphone amplifier, but a low impedance headphone amplifier would (should) improve audio quality.
Do  not really know where you could go to try on the A900X, but you can always take your time and read up on the A900X and other headphones before ordering one.

Also sometimes you can find a good price on a used A900X.

I've talked to a few people, apparently the reason why some people don't like it is because of the top support being too loose.

I've already ordered one... Brand new for $180 shipping included. 
thought it's too good of a deal to miss. It's from Japan Amazon, so hopefully they don't let me down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back