Which CD player should I pick?
Jul 9, 2008 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

aztericx

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I was wondering, if I'm mainly going to play burned MP3s (converted into audio tracks), is it worth getting a good CD player or could I settle for something older and more basic? Perhaps the sound quality of high kbps MP3s nearly equals real CDs? I don't know.

Since the choice of CD players where I live is pretty limited, I basically have three reasonable options at the moment. Either a used NAD 512 for $85, a new NAD C515BEE for $382 with warranty or a new NAD 525BEE for $498 with warranty. Which one should I pick?
My amp is a Corda Arietta btw.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 12
How about get a DAC with optical input instead? You can use cheap DVD player as transport, or even your PC. Most DVD players today can read MP3s, so you don't need to do any conversion, just burn them into data CD or DVD, either of them would store a lot more songs per disc. If my musics are in MP3 format I wouldn't want to turn it into audio CD, but that is just me.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 12
On most recordings, it's really hard to hear the difference between high bit-rate mp3s and cds. Even 128kbps sounds good on a good system. It has more to do with the recording and mastering than the bit rate of the file. With that said, I'll bet the $85 used NAD will sound great through your Corda.

Tim

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #7 of 12
Have you considered a CD player that can also play mp3? My money is on the Denon DCD-700E. Its 24bit DAC is truly outstanding. I compared mp3 converted to WAVE and just the standard mp3 file against each other on that Denon, with the unconverted mp3 files sounding far more lively and with more detail. I put that down to the conversion process or software. The converted PC files were no match for the inbuilt converter in the Denon.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #8 of 12
I'd go with the NAD 512 and put the savings into something else. Maybe another pair of headphones. Or you could find a used Technics SL-1200 for the difference.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 12
Of those, the NAD is probably a good choice.

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 12
Those NAD prices are pretty high. Are you able to use Audiogon for purchasing? I would definitely give that site a shot.

Otherwise, $85 for that 512 should do you fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back