Which CD Player for me Stax?
Dec 14, 2012 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

The Point

New Head-Fier
HEllo everybody, some time ago I met a man on diyaudio (now friend) who luckily lives nearby. One day he let me listen through his headphones from Stax and I was immediatly hooked...
I bought a SA 404 Signature and we built the Hybridamp from this site  http://www.high-amp.de/html/frame.html
They work very good together!
So, after trying a few cd players (Tascam401 MKII, Cambridge Audio CD6, Onkyo 7555...) I never have found the sound I want!
I want alotta details with melting realistic warm sound from acoustic instruments.
Further on some well placed sighted seats from which they play and a little space around them would be great...
My budget is 600€ and used is me choice... maybe symmetric analog XLR outs too...

Some suggestions?

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 5
Find an old PCM63/PMD100-based DAC, such as a Parasound or EAD and use it with your transport of choice. That, or a Metrum Octave.

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi currawang and all, I had time to test the parasound 1500 DAC. To sum it up: It fullfills my requests! 
Although I have a problem with the 6V on the balanced XLR's... Rips it all up... sounds awfull metal hard...
I will put a resistor in there...
The cinch connection works good with my Hybrid-Stax-Amp...
Thanks again!

Aug 3, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back