Which case is better for protection? Hard clear plastic or thin soft rubber/silicone?
Sep 13, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 15
I can't comment on the specific one's you posted, but I have experience with the rubber-silicone material versus hard plastic.

Rubber silicone is good at absorbing impact, naturally compared to hard plastic like BSE (it is some complex plastic right?). But it's much more chunkier and IMO uglier.

As far as scratches go, I was never able to scratch my BSE, even with car keys. It also looks better.

So if you want those drop protection kinda things, I would recommend the soft rubber. If you want scratch protection especially in the screen areas where the rubber-silicone doesn't cover, hard plastic is the wtg.

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 15
I always found plastic cases to scratch easy, and silicone to feel and look cheap, so when I had my e260 I simply threw a BSE on the thing. As for my M6, since the player came shipped with factor applied screen and backplate protectors, and since I NEVER drop my things, I never bothered.

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 15
I find lots of dust and crap gets trapped between the silicone cases and the player, scratching it up over time. I would go the plastic case, as silicone cases make it difficult to slip the player into your pocket as they grip onto the inside of your pocket.
Personally i don't use a case as my player is either its protective pocket, or in my pocket
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Caliente! /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which case is better for protection? Hard clear plastic or thin soft rubber/Silicone?

This is the hard clear plastic:

http://www.houseofdap.com/index.php?...d&productId=61

this is soft rubber/silicone:

http://www.houseofdap.com/index.php?...d&productId=46

For protection, think about it this way...If your iPod was a foot and you wanted to protect it, would you buy a pair of hard plastic shoes? Or would you buy a pair of soft rubber/silicone shoes?

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 15
I vote for silicone. I applied BSE on my ZVM and it's in a silicone case. Only thing I hate about it is it becomes a dust magnet but it doesn't slide around in my car because the silicone is kinda sticky.

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 15
I find with silicone cases dust and dirt that gets inside will scuff your player over time, but they are much better at absorbing impact if you drop your DAP. Hard plastic cases look better (imo), will not scuff your player, but will not absorb much if you drop your DAP, and in fact will probably ruin the case altogether. I guess it all depends on how clumsy you are

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 15
Not one of the choices you are asking about, but have you considered getting a leather case? They are very nice looking, (IMHO,) they give protection from impact, they don't attract dust, etc. Just an idea.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Holly

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #13 of 15
Soft and hard cases are fine for flash based players, in my opinion, because their storage medium is solid state.

As for hard drive based players, I believe soft, silicone based cases that absorb impacts from being dropped are ideal, because of the fragility of the storage medium they employ.

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #14 of 15
I was split between these two since i got both for free.

however unfortunately the silicone case does not protect the screen. although i like the impact protection i may have to go with the hard plastic.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 15
I use a leather case from DLO on my Black Zune
http://dlo.com/Products/leatherzune_...88932137059669

And a White Rubber case with a plastic screen protector built-in on my White Zune.

I like them both for different reasons.

I like that with either one, it seems to protect the buttons from accidently being pushed,so i dont have to wear out the LOCK button on the top of it from switching it all the time. Now if only theyd come out with a line-out dock so when i switch headphones i dont have to use the headphone jack too much,and a user replaceable battery.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back