Which Cartridge to get?
May 13, 2009 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

craigorymaas

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I'm in the process of building my home stereo system. So far I have:
Onkyo TX-8555 Receiver - (Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-8555 Stereo Receiver: Electronics)
Sony SS-F6000 Floor-Standing 4-Way Speakers with 6.5" Woofer (Pair) - Amazon.com: Sony SS-F6000 Floor-Standing 4-Way Speakers with 6.5" Woofer (Pair): Electronics

Now I am on to my record player. After doing some research I have pretty much decided to get the TECHNICS SL-1200MK2 Turntable. However, if anyone has a compelling argument against the table, I am glad to hear the argument. The question now is what cartridge to buy for it? I willing to spend about $100 max..
I don't know much on the subject of cartidges or record players. I have mostly rock albums with some jazz and bassier stuff thrown in as well (Animal Collective, Bjork, etc).
Please Help and thanks in advance
Craig

May 13, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 5
You might want to consider one of the Grado cartridges - they're just as good at rock as their headphones are. The Black is always a solid budget choice.

May 14, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 5
Is that about as good as it gets under $100? What about under $200?
Also, do you like the turntable choice? And..I don't have a preamp for my system and going into the phono jack sounds like ****. I think its because Onkyo needs a pre amp? That's what I've heard. Is this true?
I appreciate the reply.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 5
IMHO, Grado has the best price/performance at every price range they offer. It seems to have been that way since the Joe Grado days, from those that I heard. They were always famous for price/performance.

EDIT: Shouldn't this be somewhere else? I can understand the confusion, but it should be moved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back