Which Brands for MP3 Players Do You Recommend?
Oct 6, 2010 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

blinkstar

100+ Head-Fier
My wife wants a new MP3 player for her birthday. I'm a home theater/gaming geek and know absolutely nothing about MP3 players, so I'm looking for recommendations.

My criteria: it must be relatively small, say no bigger than a pack of cards or preferably smaller. Decent sound quality of course, but I don't think she has the most nuanced ear. Easy to use and well designed menu.

That's about it. I dislike the level of control Apple maintains with its products but I would be willing to consider an Ipod if need be.

General (or specific) recommendations?

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 32
How much are you willing to pay????

Anyway, consider the sansa fuze or sansa clip since they are cheap and sound fantabulous.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 32

Quote:
How much are you willing to pay????

Anyway, consider the sansa fuze or sansa clip since they are cheap and sound fantabulous.

I second the motion. Great sound at a good price. Put ROCKbox on either, and it has even more options.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 32
if ease of use and well designed menu is a priority, then the only option I can suggest is ipod touch.

Out of the players I have tried (sony, cowon, and couple sansa's), the apple wins hands down for the usability.
I don't know about the latest gen's sound quality, but based on those two criterias above, I'd say the ipod.

It's a little expensive compared to other similar quality players and a little bit bigger than a pack of cards (though definitely thinner) and since it's for your wife, money shouldn't be problem.

I have the first, third gen ipod touch and while I prefer the EQ of my cowon j3, I can't deny the initial difference in navigating a ipod touch to a non-ipod touch

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 32
For ease of use:
sony a728 > clipv2> nano 4g/classic 7g> touch3g> sony e444

For overall listening pleasure:
Sony a728 > clip v2>touch3g> sony e444>nano4g>classic7g

For battery life(only for music) :
Touch3g>=A728> classic7g>nano4g>=Sony E444>Clip v2

For loudness:
Classic7g>touch3g>clipv2=Sony e444>Sony A728>nano4g

For build quality:
Touch3g>nano4g= Sony A728>Classic 7g>Sony e444=Clipv2

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 32
I have to say go for an itouch. I know there are a great many folks out there who think apple to be the devil incarnate as far as music players but I am more than pleased with both my itouch and ipod classic, they both sound very nice through even revealing phones like my ety's and stax.

Even if your wife is not into absolute sound quality I would very much encourage a better set of headphones if you go the apple route, the ones supplied are not only horrible sounding but I find uncomfortable as well!

The chances are again, though it seems universally hated here that your wife will find itunes the best way to get her music as well as there is such a wide choice on itunes.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 32
My vote goes to the Sansa Fuze or the Sansa Clip+. The Fuze is a little sexier, if you're wife is concerned about that stuff. The Clip+ is a great small mp3 player. It's about the size of Zippo lighter. They both sound great. Both are very easy to use. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 32
Wow. A lot of great information here. Thanks to you all for your responses. I'll read them over carefully and check out the recommended players. I wasn't really going to consider the ipods but since some of you strongly recommend them I'll definitely put them on the short list.
Sorry I forgot to mention a budget--I'm thinking in the $150 range but could go a bit higher if absolutely neccesary.

Thanks again, everyone!

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 32
What was her old MP3 player? How much do you value your marriage?

I have a Sansa Fuze and don't like it. It seems to have an equalised sound to it and the treble is rather overdone. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 32
Apple - I recommend their portable players

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 32

Quote:
if ease of use and well designed menu is a priority, then the only option I can suggest is ipod touch.

Out of the players I have tried (sony, cowon, and couple sansa's), the apple wins hands down for the usability.
I don't know about the latest gen's sound quality, but based on those two criterias above, I'd say the ipod.

It's a little expensive compared to other similar quality players and a little bit bigger than a pack of cards (though definitely thinner) and since it's for your wife, money shouldn't be problem.

I have the first, third gen ipod touch and while I prefer the EQ of my cowon j3, I can't deny the initial difference in navigating a ipod touch to a non-ipod touch

Sony X series menu is well designed, IMHO it is far better than that of ipods.

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #14 of 32
If your wife ever goes for walks or exercise, the Touch is a bit too much.  My wife loves her Nano.  She can access the web and her email with her phone, so that aspect of the Touch is pointless when all she wants is to listen to music.  The new Nano is a bit overpriced compared to other devices with similar capabilities, but if you can find last year's model it would make a great player.  

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #15 of 32
I say go with a Sansa - Clip+ or Fuze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back