Which brand of headphone is a military headphone?
Aug 4, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #16 of 27
Do they trail some sort of probe in the water behind the aircraft? Can't imagine how you'd hear something 300 feet down otherwise....
blink.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWN
Zanth, it sounds more exciting than it really is. One hour mission briefings at 3 o'clock in the morning, two hours to prep the aircraft, take off at 6, on station around 8, 10 hours of tracking a boomer within its patrol box, return to base at 2000 hours, 2 hours of debrief. Go home. Do that three times a week, 10,000 flight hours later it gets pretty boring.

Okay I'll take your word for it but um...this part:
Quote:

I'm talking about airborne passive tracking. We never went active. A ping could be construed as a sign of aggression plus we didn't want our presence known. In a conflict, the first thing we wanted the submariners to hear was the sound of the torpedo entering the water, after that we went active because the jig was up and we wanted to quickly reposition ourselves for a second shot.

Sounds pretty hairy to me! I sit and think all day. So that stuff is action packed in comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidshade
Do they trail some sort of probe in the water behind the aircraft? Can't imagine how you'd hear something 300 feet down otherwise....
blink.gif

No the aircraft launches sonobuoys. The canister is air dumb by a parachute. Once it touches down on the ocean a salt water battery comes to life, activates the processor. Then a series of things happen. A squib fires releasing the content of co2 cartridges into an inflatable bag which causes the canister to rise to the surface and stay there. Inside the float bag is a small antenna that sends the info to the aircraft on a predetermined frequency. The outer casing is released and the listening device or devices(in the case of arrays) are then let out on a cable to a pre-specified depth. Because of thermal layers in the ocean the submarine can hide in them as sound get reflected off the boundaries between layers. So your sensor needs to be in the same layer has the sub. There are a variety of different sonobuoys each with a different purpose. Thermal sensors that read the water temperature on the way down, passive device that only listen and active sono's that are miniature sonars. A maritime patrol aircraft carries hundred both internaly and externaly. You establish a search pattern using multiple sonobuoys. The waterfall display in the aircraft allows the operator to cycle tru the sono's. A sono that has contact will privide a line of bearing to the target. Once you get contact, the acoustic operator send the info to the tactical plot. The tactical plot provide real time true aircraft position and relative positon of each sono to the aircraft. Using doppler effect and multiple lines of bearing the mission computer can provide, position, heading and speed of the object in the water. Then you make sure you always have a few sonobuoys ahead of it to keep tracking it.

The aircraft has other sensors to detect sub. A MAD or magnetic anomaly detector which detect changes in the earth's magnetic field. Sub are large pieces of metal that distort that field. You have ESM to detect transmission or radar signature if the sub puts up a antenna to send a message or take a sweep with its radar. A FLIR to look in the IR band for signs of heat. You also have a very high resolution radar that can detect periscope size objects.

Aug 4, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Okay I'll take your word for it but um...this part:

Sounds pretty hairy to me! I sit and think all day. So that stuff is action packed in comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

That sentence
"In a conflict, the first thing we wanted the submariners to hear was the sound of the torpedo entering the water, after that we went active because the jig was up and we wanted to quickly reposition ourselves for a second shot." should have been in future tense. What I really meant was in times of war you would want your presence to be unknow to the sub until the moment of attack.

I never fired a torpedo in anger and sunk a soviet sub. Our job was to keep track of them 24 hours a day and if need be attack them and sink them before they could release their nukes.

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Aurora, isn't that the nickname for a top secret next generation aircraft that the government denies its existence?

"Aurora" is the code-name for a top-secret hypersonic aircraft (perhaps even a bomber). It flew over California once in broad daylight at very high altitude and left a tell-tale contrail that proved that it uses "pulse jets".

At least, that is what "they" say. Believe what you will....

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWN
This is the Aurora, I'm talking about. Far less sexy. http://www.chat.carleton.ca/~gdawson/archive/aurora.gif

Let the conspiracy theorists have their hypersonic Aurora
wink.gif
-- it's just nice to see the good old Lockheed Electra design still going strong after almost 50 years.

Aug 4, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #25 of 27
Uh sorry for not understanding all this stuff but are the headphones used for listening to stereo music? This is head-fi about music and stuff. Maybe there is a military site on other kinds of headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back