Which box shall I open ? : Ipod 4G or Iriver iHP140
Sep 16, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #76 of 164
i wonder which box she eventually opened. share your impressions please, with whichever one you chose!

Sep 16, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #77 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I'm sorry you can't move beyond the iRiver.

It's not that I can't move past it. It's just what we happen to be comparing, deserves my honest evaluation and opinion. There's really only two reasons as to why I never bought the Karma and chose the IHP instead.

1) Lack of UMS support, forcing the user to deal with software for basic transfers (which the up coming Karma 2/Chroma/whatever supposedly addresses)

2) Hard Drive issues. Which some might say is non existent anymore, but I'd say hogwash to that considering I read the riovolution forums and still see people complaining about freezing, non recovery issues etc...Perhaps it's better with the newer firmware, but it still alarms the hell out of me when newbs are being told that the normal thing to do is both wear a paper clip around the neck on a chain for resetting, and to "pimp slap" the back of their DAP like it was a hoe who didn't bring daddy the money !
smily_headphones1.gif

3) (Ok, so three things) Build quality in general. Yes, I'm talkin scroll wheel here.

Outside those things (which are major to me), the Karma seems to be a fine piece of ass, and would have glady bought one under different circumstances. It then boils down to whether or not I'd choose an iPod or iHP. And again Bang buddy, I'd choose the iHP even with it's "half assed" recording feature which I didnt' pay extra for, that the iPod doesn't even have, and if it did, wouldn't have a line level either ! Hope you see my point there.

As for drag and drop issues, I see my HD as I do my home. I keep it immaculate. I know where everything is, and have things sorted for easy access. I've been a drag/dropper for years, and see no reason to break the habbit now ! I actually prefer having things structured the way I see fit, as opposed to how some piece of software does. Lifestyle chioce I suppose ?

As for owning other types of players, I do share your love for all things tech, but as I've grown older, I've also recognized where my tastes lay..and buying something like say, the iAudio would be a waste for me. I hate not having a remote. I loathe bulk, and having to carry things in pockets, so if it's got a remote, I love it ! That puts a lot of things into perspective for me. I love MD units, but see them as a total waste of time and hassle. I still have my Sharp MD recorder (MT 90) and it sounds great, but even with today's technology, transfer times and procedures with those things seems to be a bit too much for my liking.

Anyway, I'll most likely be buying the new Rio product because I really want gapless and a nice playlist feature. The iPod can not give me gapless either, so there's another reason for me not to ponder its existence I suppose. I guess where you see the iHP being a hassle, I see it being terribly convenient. Ah well, don't worry, no one's perfect. We still love you man.

Sep 16, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #78 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i wonder which box she eventually opened. share your impressions please, with whichever one you chose!

Ofcourse i will! My birthday is on the 24th of this month.
I'll let you know then.
smily_headphones1.gif

In the meantime...
Im enjoying the discussion and just trying to tidy up my mp3's,
working out which files goes into which folder... there's electronica,
techno, trance, acid, hardhouse, decisions... decisions.....
I'll have to use an ID3 tag/naming program.

Sep 16, 2004 at 8:58 AM Post #80 of 164
the iriver isn't that hard to operate. i've never read the manual and i can use the basic functions within the hour i got it. the remote is useful too if you keep the main unit in a bag all day long, with just the remote and headphones hanging out.

if you want features, go for the iriver. if you want neutral sound and do not care for much features, go for the ipod.

Sep 16, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #81 of 164
Why do people take it as some victory for the Republican Armed Forces of Apple vs The Royal Army of iRiver?

Dammit I wish I got b'day present early.......I've been neglected as a child
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 9:26 AM Post #82 of 164
i think the thread starter has to decide what he needs. because the iriver and ipod have their strong points. i think too many people here are trying to persuade him into swaying towards the iriver/ipod based on their own habits and needs. some people who do not need a radio will tell you that radio is useless, so get ipod. while some think that 20gb is not enough because they rip their music at 29723425kbps, so get an iriver. in the end, its what we need that counts at the end of the day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 9:45 AM Post #84 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
i think the thread starter has to decide what he needs. because the iriver and ipod have their strong points. i think too many people here are trying to persuade him into swaying towards the iriver/ipod based on their own habits and needs. some people who do not need a radio will tell you that radio is useless, so get ipod. while some think that 20gb is not enough because they rip their music at 29723425kbps, so get an iriver. in the end, its what we need that counts at the end of the day.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll go have a sex change shall I?
rolleyes.gif

I can't decide that's why I want people to add their opinions at this central point as the more posts i read in various forums the more confused I get. The final choice is between these 2 players as I consider them the best value for money considering quality,features,style, and resale value.

almost identical to the original selling price :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Sep 16, 2004 at 10:37 AM Post #85 of 164
Sometimes it better to say screw all of you, let me try out for myself, which somebody here all ready said.
Go to a store and play around with each and see which one feels more 'home'.
Weigh up what features you really need and then make a decision on that.

The internet tends to be an information overload, everyone has their own slants and agenda's sometimes if you're informed enough just make your own choice.

Ahh let DigDub be, he saw a girl on you avatar and presumed you were a horny teenage boy
tongue.gif
it's an easy mistake.

Sep 16, 2004 at 10:48 AM Post #86 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot
and buying something like say, the iAudio would be a waste for me. I hate not having a remote. I loathe bulk, and having to carry things in pockets, so if it's got a remote, I love it !

The iAudio's the same size as an equivalent storage capacity iPod, so smaller than the iHP, it's sleeker and it's got a remote (works only on the remote). I'm not sure which I felt was better... the iAudio maybe for the stuff that most people want on an everyday basis. I felt the iRiver was slightly easier to use, although the iAudio seemed to have a more logical control system. Generally Mr Spot, I fully understand your iRiver leanings, being as you are the iRiver board mod but I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to do more real playing about and less conjecture if you're going to write as authoritatively about this stuff as you do. That ends my off-topic foray in this thread.

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #87 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yasmin_Khan
I'll go have a sex change shall I?
rolleyes.gif

I can't decide that's why I want people to add their opinions at this central point as the more posts i read in various forums the more confused I get. The final choice is between these 2 players as I consider them the best value for money considering quality,features,style, and resale value.

almost identical to the original selling price :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

i'm pretty sure by now you know what the specs of the ipod and iriver are and what features they both have. some subjective things like sound quality and design, you have to hear and see which one suits you. but since they cannot be opened up, then there is no way to find out. so based on your listening habits and needs, pick one that you think will suit you most. we are only giving you opinions based on what suits us most.
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #88 of 164
Bangraman,
you can do an awful lot with J River smart list, and the smart lists are definitely more advanced then iTunes' -- though not as easy to use. The difference is that you with iTunes are able to create dynamic play lists which can be updated on the iPod (I.e. if you have a play list for all tracks with rating >=4 it'll update manually.) J River can sync data from the handheld device too -- at least the ifps and the iPod.

wolfen68,
The same stuff would take 10 seconds with MC/iT. You wouldn't even have to think just connect the player and click sync.

Sweet Spot,
I see where your coming from, though I do not agree with you. I think databases are way smarter then file structure 'cause you can access it in many ways. Furthermore, the argument that you need a piece a software to upload songs is kinda weak. With the iHP you need explorer, which is software too which'll most likely take longer time than with a db player.
I must admit though that I prefer the sound of iRiver over the iPod (3g,) though not being accurate.

Yasmin,
you birthday is exactly one month before my birthday
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #89 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by nismo96
I don't think you get my point. It all adds up, and a few grams here, a few there...

You certainly don't have to agree with me, but this is what I've found to be true in my situation.

haha thats just silly. grow some muscles
biggrin.gif
grams are nothing pounds are everything.

Sep 16, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #90 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The iAudio's the same size as an equivalent storage capacity iPod, so smaller than the iHP, it's sleeker and it's got a remote (works only on the remote). I'm not sure which I felt was better... the iAudio maybe for the stuff that most people want on an everyday basis. I felt the iRiver was slightly easier to use, although the iAudio seemed to have a more logical control system. Generally Mr Spot, I fully understand your iRiver leanings, being as you are the iRiver board mod but I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to do more real playing about and less conjecture if you're going to write as authoritatively about this stuff as you do. That ends my off-topic foray in this thread.

i heard the m-audio remote sucks ass.

ie. made poorly and breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back