Which box shall I open ? : Ipod 4G or Iriver iHP140
Sep 14, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #32 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
20 gigs are plenty of space, trust me.

i agreed with all your points except for this one, unless you are going with 192kbs mp3 or ogg vorbis. lately i just had to delete my 320kbs and convert them back to 256kbs. i've just acquired about 5 gigabytes of mp3 in less than 2 months.

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #33 of 164
I guess what nismo96 is saying is the extra grams will ADD to the final weight.

And that's why I ditched the Sony MDR-NC11 and replaced it with the ety... well that's my excuse to my wallet anyway
etysmile.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #35 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by crypt@
I guess what nismo96 is saying is the extra grams will ADD to the final weight.

And that's why I ditched the Sony MDR-NC11 and replaced it with the ety... well that's my excuse to my wallet anyway
etysmile.gif

That is exactly what I was getting at. Carrying a heavy bag while walking through a large airport like O'Hare, Cincinatti, or Dallas can wear on you very quickly.

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #36 of 164
I have the IHP-120, and all I can say it's an okay player, definitely not great though. The sound is average, and obviously processed/colored in some manner. I use nearly none of the features, and the controls can be frustrating at first. I ditched the remote, it was easier to just use the player itself. With the case, it's kind of big (not a problem for me). Still, not what you would call an "awe-inspiring" object in any sense. I like it nonetheless. I am a fan of black though, they match my leather jacket and my hair. :p (BTW I didn't vote, never tried an ipod)

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #37 of 164
I would vote for the iPod. Easy to use and sounds great. Just enjoy the music.

However...some 4G ipods have an "audio defect" that manifests itself as hard drive noise between songs. The problem is specially evident when using quality head phones. See: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80238. Worse, Apple seems to be taking the position that if the problem cannot be heard using the crappy Apple buds, well there is no defect!

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #38 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I have the IHP-120, and all I can say it's an okay player, definitely not great though. The sound is average, and obviously processed/colored in some manner. I use nearly none of the features, and the controls can be frustrating at first. I ditched the remote, it was easier to just use the player itself. With the case, it's kind of big (not a problem for me). Still, not what you would call an "awe-inspiring" object in any sense. I like it nonetheless. I am a fan of black though, they match my leather jacket and my hair. :p (BTW I didn't vote, never tried an ipod)

I wouldn't trust someone with a sig like that....
eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #39 of 164
A token response from the internet:

If you're a guy:
Get an iRiver!
It's the embodimant of masculine men in today's modern world.
If you're a girl or gay:
Get an iPod!
Its cute and you can accessorise ^_^ he hee!

That said you've probably posted enough to weigh up the pros/cons of both. The only serious issue is space. If you need 40gigs return both and get a 40gig iPod instead. Just my thoughts.

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #40 of 164
The iPod will probably satisfy you decently well...
The iRiver will either bug you with nostalgia, or be a wonderful new addition to your life.

[size=xx-small]*whisper*try the players yourself!*whisper*[/size]

Sep 14, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #41 of 164
Quote:

*whisper*try the players yourself!*whisper*

Amazing. took 2 pages, yet someone has finally become the true voice of reason. Well, my first instinct is to tell you to keep the iHP. However, I'm guilty of having an ulterior motive. That being, having you sign up to Mistic River in order that you grace us with your beautiful mug at 150x150 px
biggrin.gif
(you could anyway ya know
wink.gif
)

Now for my real input:

Sound quality as you damned well know, shall always be a subjective matter. I own an IHP 120 and have spent a fairly good amount of time "listening" to a third and fourth gen iPod (recently at that, seeing as how two of my co-workers always have them on hand..and a mini as well) with my cans. All I can say about the whole "purity" thing, is that I do not get a sense that there's more of it when listening to the iPod over the iHP. To me, that's just not an appropriate word to use as a descriptive. I'd say that the colouring is "different", not non-existent. Some may prefer the colouring of the iPod and some the opposite. I personally think that they both sound very nice with good cans and well ripped/encoded music.

Both the iPod's and IHP's EQ sections are pretty basic, but I prefer the IHP in terms of post tweak sound. Some of the frequencies tend to distort lesser cans with the iPod...it's been proven many times over. But really, the ONLY way you'll be satisfied, is by trying the same exact music, with the same cans on BOTH DAP's. After that, it's a cakewalk IMO. I mean basically, if you think that the sound on both is too hard to compare, or that it's negligible, then all you have to do is place your priorities.

For me, it was having a useful remote (I don't like holding my baby unless I'm home or in the graces of a friends place, and I don't see the point of the one the iPod comes with..it's useless for navigating), drag and drop capabilities, not needing software AT ALL for the sake of connectivity, a line out ON the unit (yeah yeah, they say it's not real, but it sure works for me !) . The other PLUSES for me were the recording (which you have to pay extra for as an accessory for the iPod) and the FM radio (also another paid for extra with Pod)

As for the GUI/UI: This is the one thing which I suppose I'll argue about with people till the end of time. Yes sure, the iPods interface is pretty damned intuitive. It wins first in its class award. No argument there. But if I have to start insulting people, (and gosh darn it I will) for making it seem like those who are not blessed with an IQ of 210 would be reading manuals for days trying to figure out the IHP's UI, then so be it ! I REALLY just don't understand this hive mentality thing. I mean, am I the only one not afraid to say that people must be daft or stoned lazy if they suggest that the IHP is difficult to navigate ? No. It's not iPod navigation, NO other DAP will be. Get over it people. And when you've got features such as recording and FM radio built in, with x amount of buttons, you'd better believe that reading a sentence in an instructional booklette MIGHT be a necessity for some people who don't feel like fiddling with everything.

Outside of all that, I've no real brilliant ideas, comments or suggestions. Again, it's all about priorities. I doubt you'd be dissatisfied either way. Good luck and happy listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Doug

Sep 14, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #43 of 164
Why not try both, then sell the one you don't want on ebay, or maybe even here at head-fi
biggrin.gif
You lose a bit of money in the resale, but at least you'll choose the best one for you, with no regrets.

the Judge

Sep 14, 2004 at 8:14 AM Post #45 of 164
Hi,

I've only got two DAP's and neither of them is an IPod. If I was in your position I would compromise by returning the IHP and getting the money back, then I would exchange the IPod 20gb for a 40gb. With the money left over I would then buy a set of ER6i.

You will then have an excellent truly portable system with the capacity to meet most of your future music needs.

You can always add an amp. if you feel it is necessary, or other headphones at a later date. You will always get a good price for the ER6's if you wish to follow an upgrade plan in the future.

No one has mentioned synergy, that is the matching of headphones, amps and DAP's for the best sound. That is why I suggested the ER6i since it was designed for the IPod.

Unless you have expensive headphones, then the headphones will have a more significant effect than the sound differences between the two players.

I hope this is helpfull and constructive in your decision.

Regards

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back