Which box shall I open ? : Ipod 4G or Iriver iHP140
Sep 13, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #16 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
Since the who-voted-what is open, I feel the need to slightly justify myself.

Thanks for your contribution oddball, i wanted to leave the "who-voted" thing
open because there are people on the forum whose opinion i very much respect
and I would like to see who voted what.

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #17 of 164
I also voted for the Ipod. 20gb can go a long way with high quality MP3s. The user interface is very slick and easy to get around as well. I really enjoy using Itunes on my PC. The playlist creation is a breeze and the rating system, smart playlist, and number of times played features are terrific. I've got a 10gb model now, but plan on upgrading some time in the future to the 40gb, just so I can get the dock and the greater capacity.

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #18 of 164
It seems like you would benefit from the iPod more, since you hinted to the fact that you like the natural sound more. I have the H120, and it's not a bad DAP, but I enjoy the learning curve and managing my own music. I'd grab the Sik Din and a nice portable amp with the cash you get back from the iRiver, like others have mentioned.

Plus, what girl won't appreciate a pretty iPod? You can accessorize MUCH more with the Apple, and I'm sure you'll appreciate that!
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #19 of 164
Can't really return one if you open the box can you?...
I would have just suggested you try them both out yourself, but I suppose you can't really do that...

You can try out iPods at apple stores, but I have absolutely no clue where you would even get to touch an iHP. Maybe compusa, but their players on display are usually jacked up by the people who use them.

Sep 13, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #20 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
Now is it really?

iRiver if you have free time to manage your collection
you have to order it in artist\album\ structures as there's a limit for how long filenames can be if one wants to use the dB. On the other hand tag needs to be tighty if one use the iPod -- mostly done by sodtwear when you rip anyway.

With the iPod you must make sure that every song is tagged proparly.
That's much more of a drag then just creating a folder. And if you download your music from p2p then tagging can be a real pain in the ass.
Besides, almost every program can extract to any folder structure you want.
And the thing is that you can set it in whatever structure you want.

Quote:

create playlists,
If one wants to listen to the music in another way than the file structure this is true.

Perhaps, but that's also true for the iPod.
And if you want "anything but the file structure" then you can always turn on the shuffle.

Quote:

read instruction manuals, consult online forums for solutions,
So true with iRiver products. If you want to know all the features you gotta read manual or visits forum whereas the iPod "works" out of the box. I mean it says read manual carfully before use on the manual and for a cd player it's 46 pages! .

Well, it's easier to learn how to operate a recording function when there is no recording function if you know what I mean.
The iHP takes more time to learn because it have more features! Very simple equation. And you really don't need the manual for the basic operations on the iHP.

Quote:

experiment with different 3rd party software, and rename some of the songs in your collection.
you have to this 'cause you don't wanna manually edit all of your folders to desired structure (ie arist\album\.) J River Media Center is good for this.
you could also just drag 'n' drop with explorer but that'd suck for most people compared to the syncing feature of the iPod.

You can use whatever you want. With the ipod you must use iTunes.
What can I tell you.. if managing a few folders on your computer is hard for you then it's your own problem. I'm using "Total commander" and it's a breeze.

Quote:

I vote iPod. 20 gigs are plenty of space, trust me.

And 40 gigs are twice as plenty. And just because it's enough for you doesn't means that it's enough for everyone. I'm already running out of space on my iHP-140. Storage capacity is like money - more is better.

Sep 13, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #21 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaman

And 40 gigs are twice as plenty. And just because it's enough for you doesn't means that it's enough for everyone. I'm already running out of space on my iHP-140. Storage capacity is like money - more is better.

Megaman

Welldone with the carpet bombing, you have stated your case well
smily_headphones1.gif

Problems with having a 40Gb unit is that its quite heavy ..
same applies with the 40gb ipod. my nokia phone 6230 is about 70g.
the iriver is about 2.5times that...which is heavy ...esp when I have
to carry the phone as well. all in my jean jacket.

If weight size was not an issue then i would have got the iriver with the
2'' tft screen it would only be £50 more.

Sep 13, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #23 of 164
Tough use an ipod and love it... I think that the 40 gig is really a plus for the iriver.....

Sep 13, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #25 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Send them both back and get a Rio Karma 20GB
wink.gif

Eh, and have it die on you within a month.
tongue.gif

Another vote for the iPod here...I was anti-Apple for a while but now find myself a convert. (edit: and I personally think that 20gb is just about the right amount)

Sep 13, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #26 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Eh, and have it die on you within a month.
tongue.gif

between the two options - iPod.

My karma is a 9 months old and still humming along. More happy users than grumpy ones. Dont let your personal experience or "what you've heard" make you badmouth a good product.

Sep 13, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #27 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
between the two options - iPod.

My karma is a 9 months old and still humming along. More happy users than grumpy ones. Dont let your personal experience or "what you've heard" make you badmouth a good product.

Don't worry, I wasn't being completely serious. My specific reason for selling my Karma 20gb and going with an iPod Mini is that the size of the Karma was excessive for how I was planning to use it.

All the same, the iPod Mini has the occasional problem that's been reported of an intermittent headphone out after about a month, so it has its own issues. But I still enjoy using it.

Sep 14, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #28 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yasmin_Khan
Megaman

Welldone with the carpet bombing, you have stated your case well
smily_headphones1.gif

Problems with having a 40Gb unit is that its quite heavy ..
same applies with the 40gb ipod. my nokia phone 6230 is about 70g.
the iriver is about 2.5times that...which is heavy ...esp when I have
to carry the phone as well. all in my jean jacket.

If weight size was not an issue then i would have got the iriver with the
2'' tft screen it would only be £50 more.

I don't think the weight is such an issue.
C'mon, it's not like those few extra grams are gonna break your back or something... Not to mention that you have a great carrying case and a fully functional LCD remote. So you don't even need to take the player out of your pocket / bag everytime you want to skip a song or change the volum.
Nothing beats that for convenience IMO.
With the 4G iPod you don't even get a carrying case or a remote whatsoever. But It's your choice.

Sep 14, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #29 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaman
I don't think the weight is such an issue.
C'mon, it's not like those few extra grams are gonna break your back or something... Not to mention that you have a great carrying case and a fully functional LCD remote. So you don't even need to take the player out of your pocket / bag everytime you want to skip a song or change the volum.
Nothing beats that for convenience IMO.
With the 4G iPod you don't even get a carrying case or a remote whatsoever. But It's your choice.

I can't speak for the original poster, but I can say that weight is a factor in my purchases due to the fact that I travel a great deal. I need to fit all that I carry into a carry on bag, plus I don't want the bag to kill me with it's weight or size.

I currently carry my Ipod, a PCDP, laptop, plus cables, batteries, a cell phone, and files in a bag on flight several times a week. If I bought a heavier weight item for each device, the weight of the bag would easily add up to multiple pounds of extra gear.

The original poster may be in a similar situation. It doesn't matter if it's PC gear, school books, etc.

Sep 14, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #30 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by nismo96
I can't speak for the original poster, but I can say that weight is a factor in my purchases due to the fact that I travel a great deal. I need to fit all that I carry into a carry on bag, plus I don't want the bag to kill me with it's weight or size.

I currently carry my Ipod, a PCDP, laptop, plus cables, batteries, a cell phone, and files in a bag on flight several times a week. If I bought a heavier weight item for each device, the weight of the bag would easily add up to multiple pounds of extra gear.

The original poster may be in a similar situation. It doesn't matter if it's PC gear, school books, etc.

Yeah, but we're talking about few miserable grams here.. It's not like the heaviness is gonna tear your bag apart
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back