Which Box Set Has Been The Biggest Rip-off?
Sep 23, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #16 of 48
linuxworks: totally agree.

I really like the idea of just having a DVD (or whatever) of just the raw .PCM tracks. Bonus points for raw channels for custom mixdowns and surround mixes, but I suspect the legalities would be prohibitive.

I like my music like I like my news: the straight feed and un-mucked with. Unfortunately I almost never get my way on either topic
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #17 of 48
I wouldn't call it a rip-off persay, but one thing annoys me is that the only way to get the remastered Doors original mixes is by buying the Doors of Perception box. If you buy the individual CDs you are getting the 40th anniversary CRAPPY mixes which have nothing to do with the DOORS>.....i can't believe the remaining three guys would remix something so precious and abandon fans by taking the original mixes off the market.

THAT SAID.....the band which has the WORST boxed sets going for them is...................(drum roll please.....)

GENESIS......which is one of my all time favorite bands, but Genesis has to be the most poorly represented great band on the planet. First off.........their remasters are GARBAGE REMIXES which I don't even think all the original members of the band had a hand in. Secondly they are compressed and brickwalled garbage. Thirdly, in the past 20 years I don't how many times I've heard the remaining 3 members of Genesis (Phil Collins, Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford) dismiss the original Genesis album as "utter garbage" when in fact..........most of what they've done since 1977 has been commercial crap. They have no business remixing albums for which they have apparently little to no respect of and obviously a poor understanding of. As they grew older Genesis somehow saw that commercial recognition and a radio-friendly fanbase was an implication of quality. They were wrong......and they were wrong once again when they remixed their albums (especially the early ones)......there is NOTHING better about the remixes than the original mixes...........We're talking.....

Selling England By The Pound
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Nursery Cryme
Trespass
Foxtrot
Trick Of The Tail
Wind And Wuthering

(and P.S....... it seems Genesis Live and Seconds Out have been completely abandoned..........those were amazing albums too!)

The Genesis Boxed set PROVES that this a band who since 1977 has been more interested in trends than musicality.........I can't stand what they did

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #18 of 48
In The Begining is there first. I have the box set made from those recordings. I have the EMI import of In The Begining. It has a drawing of the world. Also the domestic black release. Which album do you think is there first?

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In The Begining is there first. I have the box set made from those recordings. I have the EMI import of In The Begining. It has a drawing of the world. Also the domestic black release. Which album do you think is there first?

From Genesis To Revelation is their first as far as I remember, but it's not a really good album

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #20 of 48
Most of my posts I do from a cell phone. It was called In The Begining and was on the Decca label not EMI. I was wrong on that. That was the import. You are right I was wrong on the same album with the American domestic release. Sorry.
Genesis-In-The-Beginning-423000-1.jpg
UK LP Releases

* Decca LK 4990 (1969): Mono 1st issue, contains insert with art, lyrics and credits. Record has red labels with an unboxed Decca logo and a red "peep hole" on the back of the cover. Mono copies are extremely rare and fetch very high prices (upwards of $1,200 USD for a copy in good condition).
* Decca SKL 4990 (1969): Stereo 1st issue, contains insert with art, lyrics and credits. Record has blue labels and a blue "peep hole" on the back of the cover.
o On the labels, 1st issues contain both the boxed Decca logo and the unboxed logo. The labels were used interchangeably. The unboxed logos are more rare.
* Decca SKL 4990 (1974): Reissue, retitled In The Beginning

[edit] U.S. LP Releases

* London XPS 643 (1974): 1st issue, with art, lyrics and credits.
* London LC50006 (1977): 2nd issue, retitled In the Beginning
* London 820 496-2 (1987): CD reissue, retitled And the Word Was.....
o This release included four additional mono tracks. The first two appear before the contents of the original album (which are in stereo), the other two afterward:
+ A mono version of "The Silent Sun"
+ "That's Me"
+ "A Winter's Tale"
+ "One-Eyed Hound"
o This reissue marked the first U.S. availability of From Genesis to Revelation on CD. It was apparently meant to capitalize upon the group's (and likely Gabriel's) surging popularity in the U.S., as suggested by the timing of its release (closely on the heels of Invisible Touch) and its liner notes which document the band's early history, up to …And Then There Were Three…, which was not familiar to most of the group's American audience. [3]

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #21 of 48
FromGenesistoRevelation.jpg
I thought this was my American release due to the name change.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #22 of 48
archive.jpg
This was released in 1998.
In The Begining is my favorite Genesis LP, I do not know why.

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #23 of 48
I thought the "Oh By The Way" Pink Floyd boxset was ridiculously overpriced. However, I managed to get it at a price that was 50% off retail, so I couldn't really complain about that.

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #25 of 48
Sep 23, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #26 of 48
This whole Beatles thing is making me miss the White Album. I think I will get an Apple Lp.

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mind the stereo stuff (I prefer it, even strange-channel style like they did) but to *cripple* it by compressing a 1960's era already-compressed tape?

huh, so they did compress that new beatles box set? I really wasn't impressed by the SQ, might explain...I'll stick to my needle drop HDCD boots.

well the Japanese HQCD releases from King Crimson are amazing, try that if you don't wanna feel ripped off
biggrin.gif

The Silver Hill Kid: HQCD vs. SHMCD vs. BLU-SPEC CD
Quote:

King Crimson's catalog has just been re-issued in HQCD and 70's classics like "Islands" or "Red" are bigger than life now. An even better example would be the Robert Fripp/Brian Eno HQCD Digital Remaster of "No *****footing". Outstanding audio sound for an even more outstanding album.

Then to compare these Japanese pressings of Western music with the identical CDs issued by North Americn or European (UK) labels, is like night & day. The difference is so obvious, even to a deaf person.

Moonchild never sounded this good, someone should send a copy to the hacks running Abbey Road
rolleyes.gif

d7f7_12.JPG

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #28 of 48
The only box set I would truly pay for is if someone was to box up remastered versions of the entire Wax Trax catalogue.

This will never happen as the publishing rights have been so messed up in several bankruptcies/trades. Thus I continue to dream. There's some stuff in there that was never released in digital format and good-condition vinyls are difficult if not impossible to find.

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #29 of 48
I'm sure almost no one has heard of them, but the singers unlimited box set is a serious rip off. the sound is horrible when compared to the LP, or even the original cd release. very unfortunate mastering.

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only box set I would truly pay for is if someone was to box up remastered versions of the entire Wax Trax catalogue.

This will never happen as the publishing rights have been so messed up in several bankruptcies/trades. Thus I continue to dream. There's some stuff in there that was never released in digital format and good-condition vinyls are difficult if not impossible to find.

WAX TRAX lol lol
FRONT242.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back