• Focal Sopra No.1

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • B&W 805D3

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
May 3, 2019 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bumpyhead

New Head-Fier
Sorry if this is OOT for this forum but I am considering an expansion of my No.1 pastime's environment by adding a high end bookshelf speaker with an integrated amplifier to my current HD800S and an active speaker set.

Both speakers I am drooling over at the moment are slightly above my budget but a bigger issue is I just can't make a choice. Your inputs will be a great help.

May 6, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 16
Focal Sopra

417FSop3fig3.jpg

417FSop3fig4.jpg

B&W 805D3

317BW805fig04.jpg

317BW805fig05.jpg

I would say neither, the Kef Reference 1 and Revel M126BE are both far superior in these speakers price class. They have uniform, wide dispersion and flat listening axis frequency response, and textbook Harman curve power response.

The Sopra 1 has better FR than the B&W but is somewhat directional above 8K due to the 1.125" tweeter, and will slightly lack in air, whereas the B&W 805D3 has better dispersion but an extremely "interesting" tuning that will likely be very fatiguing long-term. But if I had to choose one, the Sopra is better.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 16
I would say neither, the Kef Reference 1 and Revel M126BE are both far superior in these speakers price class. They have uniform, wide dispersion and flat listening axis frequency response, and textbook Harman curve power response.

The Sopra 1 has better FR than the B&W but is somewhat directional above 8K due to the 1.125" tweeter, and will slightly lack in air, whereas the B&W 805D3 has better dispersion but an extremely "interesting" tuning that will likely be very fatiguing long-term. But if I had to choose one, the Sopra is better.

Thank you very much for the information.
Yes, I was also more or less leaning toward Sopra.
The two alternatives you recommended never popped up on my radar. I will definitely look them up. Thanks again.

May 6, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 16
Sorry if this is OOT for this forum but I am considering an expansion of my No.1 pastime's environment by adding a high end bookshelf speaker with an integrated amplifier to my current HD800S and an active speaker set.

Both speakers I am drooling over at the moment are slightly above my budget but a bigger issue is I just can't make a choice. Your inputs will be a great help.

Do yourself a favor and look into ATC SCM Pro speakers. They may not be the best looking speakers out there, but they sound phenomenal. You will want to feed them from a good DAC, but they have amp built in.

May 7, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 16
Thanks but I am not considering an upgrade from the Elac active speakers I have.

To add, ATC also has an amazing passive lineup (Hifi).
Just make sure you get something with their middome tweeter and their SL drivers. They have been known to be one of the best for years.

Also the best advice i can give
Aways try before you buy. Especially in this price range.

Mar 24, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 16
If you are looking for a bookshelf with great bass response, it's hard to beat the old L series line of ADS. I would also recommend the old DMC Time Frame line . It's would take up no more space than a bookshelf with a stand but it uses a tranmission line to help with it's low bass output. You can find info on bookshelf speakers online here

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 16
Just to toss in my 2 cents, I prefer the audio note AN-J speakers over everything mentioned.

The only catch being that they might be slightly larger than what you are looking for. If the size will work, then with your budget I believe you can get the audio note AN-Js and an audio note tube amp to go with it.

Apr 2, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 16
Sopra seems popular, what is everyones go to site for used higher end speakers?

Apr 5, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 16
In that price range I'd be auditioning the Kudos 505 with isobaric bass drivers, so no lack of low end. Alternatively the new Magico 1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back