Which balanced CDP should I get?
Sep 27, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #46 of 75
My next balanced CDP is ordered and on the way now.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've decided that if I end up not liking its sound I'm going to write impressions when it arrives, otherwise I'm going to withhold its identity until I also have my balanced amp.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #47 of 75
Asr, you really didn't just bump this thread to tantalize us? That's really not cool man..
smily_headphones1.gif

And what balanced amp did you end up going with? That is not a choice I envy with so many good amps on the market now.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #48 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what balanced amp did you end up going with?

i suspect GSX.

Quote:

That is not a choice I envy with so many good amps on the market now.

really not that many balanced amps on the market: 2 from RSA (the solid state apache or the tube-based B52), 1 from HeadAmp (GSX), and a few from HeadRoom (all solid state with optional built in DACs), Single Power (the square wave and then all the custom made ones), and Rudistor (all solid state with phase splitters as well); and 1 from Moon Audio (a hybrid), which about 3 people have heard. and then there is the Beta22, which are now being built by rockhopper audio. But no balanced amps from Meier or Woo (the latter is very surprising) or from the many mid-fi amp manufacturers from china. prices range from about $1200 to $5000.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #49 of 75
Quote:

Asr, you really didn't just bump this thread to tantalize us? That's really not cool man..
smily_headphones1.gif

And what balanced amp did you end up going with? That is not a choice I envy with so many good amps on the market now.

I admit it, I did bump this thread for that reason.
tongue.gif
All I'm going to say about my balanced amp at this point is that it's being custom-made, and that I'm anxiously looking forward to being surprised when it finally comes.

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #50 of 75
I've had a side by side with the Marantz and the NAD M5 and sold the SA11s1, bought the M5 and put 600.00 in my pocket. If I used digital any amount of time at all (I'm a vinyl junkie) I would pick up the Cary 306/sacd on the used market. Another player I was suprised to like alot was the Mcintosh MCD-201. It was better than either the SA11s1 or the M5 on redbook and SACD.

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #51 of 75
Even with the compliments of your short list vcoheda, it's a choice I still wouldn't want to make. Does one of those amps listed strike you as far and away better than the rest? Personally, between a B-52 and an equivalant single power.. I might as well just flip a coin.

@Asr... "Custom"?? It might be a SP.. I won't put money on it yet..

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #52 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by asr
All I'm going to say about my balanced amp at this point is that it's being custom-made

My guess is on a Singlepower balanced SS type amp, discrete circuitry, MOSFETs output, retail price ~$2150.

blink.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #53 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was better than either the SA11s1 or the M5 on redbook and SACD.

That's bittersweet. I was looking forward to auditioning an M5, but I might hold off for something better.

Sep 27, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #54 of 75
Quote:

Does one of those amps listed strike you as far and away better than the rest?

not really. i've heard on a few occasions some of the high end balanced SP amps (not the square wave), those from HeadRoom (all different models), and the B52. but all my impressions were from meets. in general, i preferred the RSA sound signature over SP and was less impressed by the HR amps - but source may have been a factor as well as the HRs i heard used one of the built-in DACs. i have never listened to the GSX or a rudistor. the only balanced amp i have spent significant time with is the apache. i think you just have to go with a sound signature that you like and then go as high up the chain as your budget will allow. that's the only reasonable advice i can offer.

Quote:

@Asr... "Custom"?? It might be a SP.. I won't put money on it yet..

custom made is generally synonymous with single power, so that would be my bet as well.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #55 of 75
I was day dreaming today about this thread, probably should have been watching the kids, and thinking it could be he found some nice head-fi'er to build him a, whats it, a maxxed out beta22 or something.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #56 of 75
well. there is a group buy for beta22s, but they are not really custom made. the features at pretty set. unless someone else is building it.

i still say SP. he liked the square wave. so it makes sense.

only time will time. until then, i have my apache to keep my company.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #57 of 75
When I wrote "custom-made", I didn't mean that the amp is necessarily being built from the ground up. There's more than one way to make a custom amp...
smily_headphones1.gif

But enough about the amp, I'm now eagerly anticipating the CDP! I just couldn't wait any longer, I decided to get things over with sooner rather than later.

Sep 28, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #58 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I wrote "custom-made", I didn't mean that the amp is necessarily being built from the ground up. There's more than one way to make a custom amp...
smily_headphones1.gif

But enough about the amp, I'm now eagerly anticipating the CDP! I just couldn't wait any longer, I decided to get things over with sooner rather than later.

so what did you get?

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #60 of 75
I hope he finds happiness in his new player. I am not even gonna bother with CDP upgrade until I am all decked out with power related upgrades, of which a dedicated circuit panel for digital components is at the top of my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back