Which balanced CDP should I get?
Sep 12, 2007 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
Now begins the hard part of deciding what path to take with my final balanced CDP. I don't want to repeat the mistake I made with the Ayre CX-7e and thought I'd ask you guys to help me out a little.
wink.gif

My preferred sound for a source is as close to flat as possible, though slight mid-range warmth would certainly be ok. Treble must be extended, refined, and airy - no harshness. I don't care about bass as long as it's there and not rolled off. Soundstage must be deep and wide.

Feel free to suggest other <$5K balanced CDPs but keep in mind that I have a strict visual aesthetic requirement (as few curves as possible, least flashy looking), weight cannot exceed 40 lbs, and the tray must be front-loading (not top-loading).

The NAD M5 is in the poll due to a thought I had about simplifying to something as cheap as possible but still of decent quality.

(Btw, I'm already closing in on one of these CDPs but just want to see if it's the one that gets the most votes.)
tongue.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 75
I haven't heard any of those so I didn't vote. Another thing that you might consider is a sacdmods unit. Matt puts in a ZapFilterII as part of the upgrade and that give you fully balanced performance. I also haven't heard one of those though I was supposed to. Matt modded my Eastsound CD-E5. It came back yesterday. I opened it up to find that Matt does very tidy work. Unfortunately, the shipper didn't do such good work and broke the transport.
frown.gif
After I replace it, I'll let you know how it sounds, though single ended only.

If you want to come down to SB to listen to it, you are welcome to do so though it's a somewhat long trip. After this, I'll be very hesitant to ship it again.

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 75
hard to say. unless you can demo/audition them, the safest choice is to go with what you know. when i was looking at CD players, i was deciding between about 5 or 6. i read as much as possible about each. in the end i chose the G08 because i had heard meridian players - various models - on several occasions and always liked the sound. to date i am very happy with my decision. of course it is very possible that had i purchased a different player (unheard) i could have liked it as much or better. but i think that kind of decision would have been more of a risk.

my .02 cents.

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 75
What can I say? I'm an Esoteric guy. Mine comes Friday
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What can I say? I'm an Esoteric guy. Mine comes Friday
smily_headphones1.gif

which model?

Sep 13, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 75
UX-1 ;p

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UX-1 ;p

X2?
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 75
Eh?

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 75
Hrmm so the Accuphase is in the lead, wasn't expecting that. I got one person's reason, would the others explain why? I'm also surprised the Marantz has no votes... o_O

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CEC appears to use the same DAC guts as the Aqvox DAC. Thus it would likely sound a bit midrange-y (if similar to the MkI) or laid-back (if similar to the MkII). Neither struck me as being as neutral as you'd like.

Well that's no good, I guess it's out then!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard any of those so I didn't vote. Another thing that you might consider is a sacdmods unit. Matt puts in a ZapFilterII as part of the upgrade and that give you fully balanced performance. I also haven't heard one of those though I was supposed to. Matt modded my Eastsound CD-E5. It came back yesterday. I opened it up to find that Matt does very tidy work. Unfortunately, the shipper didn't do such good work and broke the transport.
frown.gif
After I replace it, I'll let you know how it sounds, though single ended only.

Actually it doesn't matter to me if the votees haven't heard these CDPs, I'd appreciate the votes anyway. A vote based on specs or experience with the brand or anything like that is just as helpful to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #12 of 75
I would imagine that a lot of people like the Accuphase based on the fact that it has a digital input and perhaps looks.

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #13 of 75
I'd have to say go with the Esoteric; that brand is made for headphones. The amount of detail and bandwidth they carve out of a CD is phenomenal, and perfectly mates with the strengths of headphones IMO. The Accuphase CDP has one of the best repuations for straight CD play back. I've heard both, but not what I consider long-term experiences. Living rooms, show rooms, people talking etc. I can basically say I've touched them. Anyways, Esoteric all the way.

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #14 of 75
actually having heard an accuphase player it may be more of what you are looking for. I really like the take no prisoners approach that ayre takes with a grado like approach. If you are looking for a more nuetral or what may actually be the perception of nuetral then the accuphase is where I would place my bets. I really do not think you would like the esoteric as it a bit thin in the mids to me it will not thrill you in the midrange I believe

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #15 of 75
The Marantz player has an even balance across the frequency range and the three different filter settings give you the ability to tailor the sound.

SACD sounds great!

This is based on my listening in single-ended mode. Final piece of balanced set up (AMP ) on the way. Balanced impressions when amp arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back