which amp would do better?
Dec 20, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #16 of 48
Just my opinion;

I do not like DIY products posing as commercial alternatives!

Porta Corda / Airhead ; a) quality construction & parts
b) warranty
c) excellent sound quality
d) proven reliability
e) versatility
f) reasonable value

Home made amps or other comparable products erode the world
economy!

If you want a DIY amp or other product, build it yourself, or you
are possibly stealing someones job!
mad.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #20 of 48
Or you're possibly saving yourself money and putting food on your own table. Or you're possibly helping out a college student or someone else.

You do realize that KurtW, eric343 et. al. are governed by the same rules on Head-Fi as other commercial entities, right?

So we call them commercial when we restrict them and then we condemn them for "destroying the economy" when they're able to offer a competitively priced product? What-the-******-ever.

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #22 of 48
Kelly,

With over 4000 posts in 1year, you must be qualified to comment on numbers! However, your opinion is worth no more than anyone's as it is nothing more than an opinion.

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by oldguy
With over 4000 posts in 1year, you must be qualified to comment on numbers! However, your opinion is worth no more than anyone's as it is nothing more than an opinion.

I don't recall an attempt to deprive anyone of an opinion. Or do you think that because mine differs from yours that you're somehow deprived of your own? I have many posts, you're right. In what way does this bolster your position?

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by oldguy
If you want a DIY amp or other product, build it yourself, or you
are possibly stealing someones job!
mad.gif

You do realize that by hiring someone to build a DIY amp for you, you are actually giving them a job. How does this hurt the economy?

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:55 PM Post #27 of 48
Oldguy:

BOSE is a commercial entity and there's no way on earth I would ever buy from them. Over priced, under engineered crap. What value does a warranty from Bose have when the product they sell sucks?

As long as people buy and sell from each other and money circulates in the economy (i.e. liquidity) it doesn't matter a whit whether or not a consumer buys from a "real" company like Bose or an individual like JMT. As long as someone buys components, value adds labor and re-sells it to consumers, the economy will continue to function.

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #28 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by markjia
Actually, small buisnesses (like those of KurtW, JMT, etc) are always encouraged and better for the economy than larger companies.

I agree and I also think Kurt and JMT do an awesome job and are nice people to talk to. And frankly, they devalue their own labor costs so much that I consider what they do for people more along the lines of a favor. They're definitely a boon to the community as far as I'm concerned.

I have no issue with big business. Obviously, people have seen me sing the praise of companies like Wadia and Martin Logan. And I've favorably reviewed a number of commercial headphone amps here on Head-Fi. What I don't understand is why people feel that these companies are owed something.

Be loyal to whoever you like but I'll always encourage people to buy the best equipment for the best price. I feel that this is the best thing you can do for the market because ultimately it raises the standard of quality when everyone's expectations are higher. I'll not feel an obligation to help build someone else's empire.

I have many posts. I use expletives. I have opinions. oldguy has no point to make.

Dec 21, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
having to drive..perhaps HD-590.
total airhead - 199
meta42 - over 200 with any decent options
porta corda - ~160

or recommend some (wall powered and toggleable cross feed are preferable)

jessica00

You obviously have a good grasp of the possibilities here and would appear to be able to make an informed decision of your own.

For the record, my vote goes to the Porta Corda, which, along with the Total Airhead, I have personal experience of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back