which amp would do better?
Dec 23, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #46 of 48
Jessi,

isn't there someone near you that will allow you to borrow their amp for a week?

If you're a tinker, you'll love the Meta42. first there was tube rolling. now there's chip rolling. imagine you swapping your Burr-Brown OPL927's for the 8620. each one on their own daughter borads with their own metal film resistors and polycarbonate capacitors. yumm.

don't like how your hd590s sound with the class c burr-browns? move up to the class A's. want more detail? add a pair of el2002. still want more detail, add another pair on top of that. want better soundstage? beef up the power supply. try different walmarts, ac cords, inner shielded cables. the fun is endless.

a year later you switch over to class A bias. so you play around with bias. and start the cycle once again. happy happy. joy joy.

Dec 24, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #47 of 48
Eric the anal-rentive's corrections...
OPA627 (at $30/channel, bloody expensive)

It would be difficult to put poly caps and MFR's on the daughterboard...

The Burr-Brown's aren't Class-C; that means the signal is getting output as a PWM triangle wave (IIRC). They're class B or class AB, IIRC.

It's Wall-Wart, not Wal-Mart
biggrin.gif

And once the amp is in class-A, changing the bias won't help much unless it's dropping out of class-A, which shouldn't happen.

Dec 28, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #48 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Eric the anal-rentive's corrections...
OPA627 (at $30/channel, bloody expensive)

It would be difficult to put poly caps and MFR's on the daughterboard...

The Burr-Brown's aren't Class-C; that means the signal is getting output as a PWM triangle wave (IIRC). They're class B or class AB, IIRC.

It's Wall-Wart, not Wal-Mart
biggrin.gif

And once the amp is in class-A, changing the bias won't help much unless it's dropping out of class-A, which shouldn't happen.

Eric, I just checked your profile. Are you really only 15 years old? If so, your Dad must really be proud of you!

I'm probably old enough to be your Dad's Dad, but I'm impressed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Spad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back