which amp would do better?
Dec 19, 2002 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

jessica00

500+ Head-Fier
having to drive..perhaps HD-590.
total airhead - 199
meta42 - over 200 with any decent options
porta corda - ~160

or recommend some (wall powered and toggleable cross feed are preferable)

Dec 19, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
note, im looking to save money. so cheaper = better, as long as it has on/off crossfeed and wall power.

I think you've answered your own question: PortaCorda.

Dec 19, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 48
Have you considered the CHA-47 or the Cmoy, both can be had for far less.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 48
In your situation, I believe the PortaCorda would serve you best. It will provide you with the x-feed you want and the ability to switch it off and on. The cha47 and cmoy can be had of less than half the price of the amps you mentioned, but I don't think they are not at the same level of performance, IMO. And 'what's best for the money' is hard to determine, if not impossible.

Dec 19, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 48
Note: the Porta Corda assembled price is $175. It apparently comes with provisions for external power but the external wall power does not come with the unit, this would have to bought separately. I believe the same is true with the Total Airhead.

Dec 20, 2002 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 48
If you want the most for your money, I'd go with the META42. Even if you get it with a configuration that costs the same as the Porta Corda it would probably sound better. Obviously, it can be configured to your liking and include a wall wart and crossfeed.

Dec 20, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 48
Look to the Meta for sure. With a Walwart and a nice selection of opamps, you could really have an amp tailored to your needs. The difference between a CMOY and a CHA47 are far less noticeable compared to the META. A META is a clear step up from the other two. Not that I want to take money away from Jan, but the META could be had for less. Cross-feed...have you heard it? From what I have heard thus far (Meier Cross-feed only) it is nothing to write home about...in fact, I would never use it personally. If you can have a listen locally, that is your best bet for sure.

Good luck.

Dec 20, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #13 of 48
As I've said a few times, the META42 obsoletes the other amps. The price difference isn't so great and the quality difference is. I'd shoot Kurt or JMT an email and I'd go all out on a portable model.

And if you're going to do that, get the HD580 instead of the HD590 too.

Dec 20, 2002 at 5:49 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
As I've said a few times, the META42 obsoletes the other amps. The price difference isn't so great and the quality difference is. I'd shoot Kurt or JMT an email and I'd go all out on a portable model.

Damn, I hate to agree with you Kelly...

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back