Which Amp (if any) would you reccomend for the Westone UM2?
May 5, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #18 of 24
For me, the big advantage to the efficient IEMs is that you can use them sans amp with your dap. Take any money you were gonna spend on an amp, and use that to get more music, or improve your home setup...

May 6, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I had UM2, it had great synergy with SR71.

X2, but I have the UM2 and SR71 so it's not a memory. I'm lovin it!

May 6, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #21 of 24
At the headfi show in San Jose, I tried a variety of the very small portable headphone amps with my nano and shuffle, and found there was modest improvement with any of the headphones I was using (Shure, UE, Westone or Crossroads). This surprised me. Often I found it was a tradeoff e.g. a little more dynamic but a little more veiled too. I imagine that if you get one of the larger amps, especially a tubed amp, it would be real nice, but that's not portable.
Art

May 6, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #22 of 24
I use my UM2's with a Practicaldevices XM4. Works great. I would, though, echo what some others here have said, namely that the UM2's are extremely efficient and easy to drive, and you may be able to do just fine without an amp, depending on what you're listening thru.

May 6, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bull Moose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess my biggest issue is that I need an amp that will provide punchy bass that will clean up the slightly muddy bass of the UM2s as well as provide a better quality mid-range.

You'd want the SR71, but a low-gain version.

May 6, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd want the SR71, but a low-gain version.

Why do you need a low-gain version? I use my UM2 with the normal gain and it sounds great. Okay, yes, some hiss in the background but once the music gets going you barely notice it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back