Which amp - Green Solo,Xin Ref, Lisa III, Headamp Pico
Sep 27, 2007 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Leoseller7

New Head-Fier
Well I have a challenge for you all, I am looking at picking up 2 amps for both home/office and portable use as it doesn't matter. Sound quality is my main concern I will be using both computer/IPOD and CD as sources. I currently have a Alien DAC ("MASantos") for USB conversion but am considering also buying "Headamp Pico with DAC (USB)" I understand that the Pico has not been released or tested but any help would be appreciated . My concern is that I ordered Dr. Xin Reference amp and don't want to have two similar amps. My choices on top of the Xin Reference are:

1. Triad Audio Lisa III
2. Green Graham Slee Solo
3. Headamp Pico (w-DAC)
4. Blue Circle SBH

Also there is no preference for Solid State or Tube just want quality sound.
I understand people will ask for which headphones that I use and equipment quality, but I am going to purchase these things around the amps!!!!! so that shouldn't matter.

I appreciate all the help

Sep 29, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 19
the Lisa seems like the safest bet, it seems to be a small notch above the others thanks to the craftsmanship and dedication of the designer, it is all in there site.

i heard a lot of transportable /portable/station headphone amps and this seems to be among the best regardless of price.

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets be real careful here! We are talking about 4 very different amps which very few people have had a chance to listen to. Also they have different intended uses.

Miguel swoops in with the first and possibly only sane statement in this thread (outside of the OP's question).

Since you plan on using your computer as a source at least some of the time, do you have or plan on getting an external DAC at some point? Your choices may narrow and/or expand based on your answer.

Sep 29, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 19
ok, can I suggest something else to add to your list?

How about the Graham Slee Voyager?

9v battery for portable (50 hours)
USB Power for use with a computer (bumped to 9v internally)
24v wall wart for desktop use

I have been absolutely blown away by the sound, even fresh out of the box!

Something to think about anyway!

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, can I suggest something else to add to your list?

How about the Graham Slee Voyager?

9v battery for portable (50 hours)
USB Power for use with a computer (bumped to 9v internally)
24v wall wart for desktop use

I have been absolutely blown away by the sound, even fresh out of the box!

Something to think about anyway!

How did you get your hands on that amp? Do you know when it will be out?

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #9 of 19
vpack1.jpg

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 19
Not sure when they are being released, but by the looks of things this pre-production model, it must be pretty soon.

It's coming to the UK meet next month after it's been fully burned in, so expect lots of comments and photos after then.

All I can say now is that straight out of the box it sounds wonderful!

It's a little larger than the new crop of micropiconano amps, but then it uses no surface mount components. It is obvious that Graham has gone for sound quality over miniturization.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure when they are being released, but by the looks of things this pre-production model, it must be pretty soon.

It's coming to the UK meet next month after it's been fully burned in, so expect lots of comments and photos after then.

All I can say now is that straight out of the box it sounds wonderful!

It's a little larger than the new crop of micropiconano amps, but then it uses no surface mount components. It is obvious that Graham has gone for sound quality over miniturization.

My Voyager by Graham is on its way!
icon10.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Voyager by Graham is on its way!
icon10.gif

I think you'll be impressed!

Sep 30, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 19
do you guys have a price for the graham slee voyager?
this has been in pre-production for ages.

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #14 of 19
MrJoshua,

Thanks for the extra amp being added to an already long list.

I see that you have both the "Green" Solo and the Graham Voyager, I understand one is portable and one is a home amp, but in comparing the two which on gets your vote.

In going back to my list, if I was to go with the Lisa 3 I know I would have to get Turbo to make me a doc connector to RCA to use the Lisa 3, so that may be a negative for that amp.

After much consideration I'm going towards a warmer sounding amp so any ideas would be appreciated. "FROM MY LIST ONLY"

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 19
They are very different beasts...

If they were only to be ever used as desktop amps and if money isn't a problem, then the Solo wins hands down. It sounds simply stunning.

However, sound per pound, the Voyager is VERY good. Plus it has great flexibility in terms of use.

I think you need to work out whether you can deal with a strictly stationary amp, or whether you want something you can drag around with you. This will help you to narrow your options.

I'm listening to the Solo with my SR-325i's, neither of which are anywhere near fully burned in and I'm over the moon with the quality of what I'm hearing. (John Lee Hooker and Van Morrison - Don't Look Back).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back