Which amp goes best with AKG K701??
May 16, 2007 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Sieg9198

100+ Head-Fier
plainface.gif
This may be a stupid question. But I really need some help.

What is the best amp(preferably portable amps)for AKG K701 under $350??

May 16, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 23
Theres a lot of Hornet threads here.
Search and enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 23
I found the sound too thin on the Hornet. Although it can drive them well enough.

May 16, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I certainly would never presume to answer this one. However, if you save, $10.00 a week for one year, you could add $520 to your $350 and be up in the Singlepower class. Now we have an Amp to discuss. IMO.

Why stop at one year? If you save till retirement...
wink.gif

May 18, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 23
I had Headroom Micro - it is quite good. I compared it with XM4 from Practical devices - there was minor difference - only found when I did A-B back a forth a few times - Micro had bigger soundstage and better built but XM4 is smaller and has a lot more features and you could roll opamps.

Recently I received Dr. Xin's Macro LE and it sounds amazing with AKG 701 - the amp has bass boost too - which works well with AKG when I need it.

I was thinking of keeping XM4 as a second amp but I'm going to sell it and get a tube headphone amp
wink.gif

Sunil.

May 18, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the sound too thin on the Hornet. Although it can drive them well enough.

Just curious … were the 701s you heard thoroughly broken in? (…maybe 300+ hours, tho' some would say even more…)

Also, what source were you using/hearing, and what interconnects?

All those can significantly impact the sound coming out of the 701s, which even fully matured are very component (and music) sensitive.

I found my Hornet with ALO Jumbo Silk Dock and Zu Pivot 1/4-to-1/8 adapter cable to produce a fairly robust and very satisfying sound through the 701s — even from my 5.5g 80GB Video iPod, and certainly much better SQ via X-Ray CD Transport > Muse DAC.

(iPod is my benchmark for portables since I'm not going to drag around a big transport+DAC.)

At work the sound's better out of Mac G5 Tower > glass toslink optical > Spitfire DAC > Zu Pivot RCA-to-1/8" IC > Hornet > Zu Pivot 1/4"-to-1/8" > K701 (tho' for comfort I prefer my DT880-250/2005).

In any case, my own personal experience has not been a thin sound with Hornet > K701.

May 18, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by saisunil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had Headroom Micro - it is quite good. I compared it with XM4 from Practical devices - there was minor difference - only found when I did A-B back a forth a few times - Micro had bigger soundstage and better built but XM4 is smaller and has a lot more features and you could roll opamps.

Recently I received Dr. Xin's Macro LE and it sounds amazing with AKG 701 - the amp has bass boost too - which works well with AKG when I need it.

I was thinking of keeping XM4 as a second amp but I'm going to sell it and get a tube headphone amp
wink.gif

Sunil.

I'll have to take a look at Dr. Xin's Macro LE, Sunil. I usually build my own amps but sometimes a better engineered product is the way to go. Looks like you registered a long time ago and rediscovered the forum.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back