Which Amp For Westone Um1 Under 60$ ?
Jan 16, 2009 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

leyleq

New Head-Fier
Hi, i am a newbie about this whole amps stuff.
I am really sor for same 2345643 topics which ampli. But i have read enough as i can understand with my poor english.

So;
I am using Iriver H320 with my Westone Um1. In other devices um1 sound nice but at Iriver it sounds very very bad. I think um1's 25 ohm impedance and h320' s 16 ohm impedance is the main problem. Some of says that most portable amps are for headphones not for iems and does not sound good on IEMs. Which one is most proper with my UM1 ??

So i am asking which amp should i buy under 60 $ bucks?
At least can you draw up 2-3 suggestions. I want the best sound for my Um1 and the portable tiny one.

So i found these models:
Pa2V2
Fiio E5, E3,
Cmoy's

And also i find Ibasso T4, i like it very much but it's so expensive. I've read about ibasso t4 in forum but i still dont know how does it sounds? Pa2v2,Fiio,Cmoy'S VS Ibasso T4 ?

I think i would choose E5 because it is tiny and cheap.
Pls help me? I think my hands will on f5 on this page till i get amp
frown.gif
frown.gif

ps: sorry for my grammer and spam.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 15
I have the UM1, and quite frankly, I don't think they need an amp. They are very efficient and only 25 ohms, so unless you get an amp with a very low gain (1 or 2), you may have trouble with clipping and/or hiss.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it sounds bad" I find it difficult to believe that the difference between 16 ohms and 25 ohms would be the cause of any difficulty for the iRiver. Have you tried listening to the iRiver with any other 'phones? Are you listening to the exact same media (same format, same bitrate, etc) on the iRiver as on your other source where you say the UM1 sounds good?

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 15
Yes of course my old one was cx300.
I mean sound distorts, by sayin '' it sounds bad ''. All was tested in same eq, song, bit rate, gain etc.

I put my Um1 to my notebook or other hi-powered things and sounds great but at iriver it sound distorted its nearly 10 ohms and i think makes a big difference in freq. response graph.
And also my player can not provide enough power for my um1 thats why i think sound distorts alot.
Whats your player? Output powers in mw ?
And impedance ?
Some of them can provide enough power(iriver cannot) but still if you have a good ear you can understand difference between 16to 25 25 to 25.

You said you should buy an amp with low gain. I dont get it ?

So i dunno about these stuff which one should i get ?

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds more like something is broken.

What you mean?

If you mean iriver is broken;
Cannot because i'm still listening it with Cx300 and 2+1 Cretive l3800 and everything is ok.

If you are saying Um1:
Still cannot, because i' m listening it on my notebook and pioneer TT everything is ok.

Any suggestions for amps ???

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by leyleq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you mean?

If you mean iriver is broken;
Cannot because i'm still listening it with Cx300 and 2+1 Cretive l3800 and everything is ok.

If you are saying Um1:
Still cannot, because i' m listening it on my notebook and pioneer TT everything is ok.

Any suggestions for amps ???

Dude, pretty much anything under the sun should be able to easily power a UM1. Either something is broken here, or you're blasting your music through them.

I'd concur that something is wrong with your iRiver then, since you said that other sources can play with it just fine.

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, pretty much anything under the sun should be able to easily power a UM1. Either something is broken here, or you're blasting your music through them.

I'd concur that something is wrong with your iRiver then, since you said that other sources can play with it just fine.

Yep. I think my iriver cannot handle 25 ohm Um1' s.
Anyway still no suggestions ?

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 15
I maintain that 10 ohms should be insignificant. Many 'phones vary their impedance by much more than 10 ohms across their frequency response. The most you should be experiencing is perhaps needing a slightly higher volume setting on the UM1. Both the CX300 and the UM1 are very efficient - 112db/mw for the CX300 vs 114db/mw for the UM1. I think whatever is wrong probably won't be fixed by adding an amp. Good luck.

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 15
Hi guys!

Well I have the exact same problem here.

I just bought a pair of UM1 and they sound incredibly bad on my iRiver H320.

The mids are somewhat muffed when I play any song with them on my H320. But they sound perfectly on my computer or any other audio system I own.

And I use FLAC files to test and compare so it's not a quality issue from the audio files.

By the way, leyleq, do you have Rockbox on your H320? If it's the case do the problem is also present in the original firmware?

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 15
@BenPi

I tested both on rockbox and original firmware. The results were same.
Sound is distorted but i get used to it.

Don't expect for help from here because as you can see from older posts, i think they don't have a good ear to understand the difference.

I'll buy soon e5....

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you come back here and tell us we were all wrong, and that magically the e5 made the iRiver and UM1 sound great...

I' ve already made my custom amp and it sounds great.
Do i have to make yourself believe me ?

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by leyleq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@BenPi

I tested both on rockbox and original firmware. The results were same.
Sound is distorted but i get used to it.

Don't expect for help from here because as you can see from older posts, i think they don't have a good ear to understand the difference.

I'll buy soon e5....

So that's not a problem coming from Rockbox.

I'm also wondering if the modification I made to my H320 is the cause. I swapped the hard-drive of my iRiver for a Compact Flash with an adaptor. Maybe it have some link to the problem since it's a big metallic part removed from the unit that maybe contributed to the grounding of it. (I'll have to try to test it after swapping back the hard drive.)

But if you confirm me that you don't done any kind of modification to your H320 I'll have a confirmation that the problem is elsewhere.

By the way all the eq/treble/bass settings are turned off on my H320. I also want to add that my Sennheiser HD 477 sounds perfectly on it with the same audio files.

@leyleq
So when you'll have tested your e5, please stay me informed of the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back