Which amp for AT-W5000?
Aug 29, 2006 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

2deadeyes

1000+ Head-Fier
Greetings,

Being reading Head-Fi religiously for over a year now and purchased quite a few items cuz of it. Amongst them, purchased recently was the AT-W5000 and currently looking for an amp to partner with them within a budget of $900. Did some researching on the forums and have the following as candidates:

Original Master
HF-HA01

I was just about to purchase the HF-HA01 when reading the thread started by Elephas that threw me off due to background noise with the W5000.

Just looking for some input/experiences for amps that "synergize" well with the W5000 within a $900 budget. My musical preferences include classical, trance, modern rock and some jpop.

Many thanks!
-cz

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 37
Singlepower PPX3 Slam. Some Headfiers here have had great success with a Singlepower + W5000. I also liked the RSA Raptor w/ the AD2000 at a recent meet, you may be able to grab that used. It depends on what you prefer- Singlepower's a more euphonic sound, RSA's a more SS-like sound.

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 37
If you're willing to stretch your budget just a bit, you can pick up the AT-HA5000 from PriceJapan for just over $1000. It was designed specially for use with the W5000 and very well could be the most synergous amp for the W5000. Of course, you should be sure the W5000 are the right headphones for you since the amp is reported to sound poor with most other headphones.

I currently have a Singlepower PPX3 SLAM, and while it is good, I am having a difficult time finding the right tubes for the W5000. So far I have been working with cheaper tubes, but the best 6SN7 tubes cost over $50 a piece. Getting an adapter will let you use cheaper varieties of tubes with the SLAM, but I believe it will cost you about $100. I don't know why, but for me, the SLAM has been harder to get sounding great with the W5000 than with other headphones I have used it with.

I am about to buy the HA5000, and if it is really all that it is cracked up to be, the SLAM is history. It is unfortunate because if I had more money with which to tuberoll, I am sure I would find a great combo. But as a busy college student on a somewhat tight budget, there are better things I could be doing with my money and my time than experimenting with tubes all day.

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 37
Have you check with PriceJapan lately? Since they have reworked they site I have yet to see that they still can get the HA5000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by patman657
If you're willing to stretch your budget just a bit, you can pick up the AT-HA5000 from PriceJapan for just over $1000. It was designed specially for use with the W5000 and very well could be the most synergous amp for the W5000.

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes
I was just about to purchase the HF-HA01 when reading the thread started by Elephas that threw me off due to background noise with the W5000.

Hey, I'm mentioned by name!
smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully the Higher Fidelity HA-01 issues can be resolved soon.

Are there really reports of the AT-HA5000 sounding poor with other headphones?

I don't like the way the K701 sounds with it, but it's not horrible. Apparently one person who bought an AT-HA5000 before me at the local audio shop uses it with the K701, so tastes vary.

I think the AD2000, W2002, ES7, RS-1, HF-1, MS2i, SA5000 and L3000 sounds good with it.

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 37
pricejapan will get you everything which is avaible in japan, doesnt need to be listed. Ill maybe get the HA5000 in 1-2weeks so you can watch out for a little comparison. If the HA01 wins in technical terms (dynamics, imaging ...) ill still keep it even if there wont be a solution (which i doubt) for the gain problem.

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 37
I heard the W5000 is pretty easy to drive. I'll be using it with my Lavry DA10, which has a much better headphone amp than most people know. With low impedance headphones, anyway.

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 37
It can be pretty easy to drive, but getting right tonality and synergy is a completely different matter. That's not to say the Lavry isn't good (although I'd expect the Master to be better), but the thought that you can slack on amping easy-to-drive headphones is a myth. Not saying you're doing that, but just putting it out there.

Aug 29, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
pricejapan will get you everything which is avaible in japan, doesnt need to be listed. Ill maybe get the HA5000 in 1-2weeks so you can watch out for a little comparison. If the HA01 wins in technical terms (dynamics, imaging ...) ill still keep it even if there wont be a solution (which i doubt) for the gain problem.

If you do, that'd be awesome. Didn't know PriceJapan could also import HA5000 (just checked their site and it's available; reasonable price to boot).

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

Aug 29, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 37
Every headphone is "easy" to drive, ie the W5000 sounds "good" completely unamped. But how much it improves with my HA01 is just amazing, dynamics, deep, wide and airy soundstage, texture, bass, its better everywhere, ALOT. I made an interesting observation today, i copied some mono tracks (normal music converted to mono) to a CD and compared my 2 amps with it. The missing soundstage made all the other improvements MUCH more obvious. Very nice idea for comparing amps besides for soundstage
wink.gif

On the other side the AD2000 improves less by amping for example. Dont underestimate the W5000, its not only a synergy/tonality thing with amping low imp. cans.

Aug 29, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 37
I just went over there to PriceJapan and the HA5000 is there for a nice price, 1037 using DHL. So again I was a little out of touch.

Aug 29, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 37
From my experience, I think that Ray Samuels' Raptor works really well with the W5000, and there's one going in the FS forums for $850 or so. The two or three times I've listened to that combo I enjoyed them.

Of the Singlepower amps, I've only heard the W5000 with the modified Supra, it sounds great with that too, but it's way above your budget. I'd imagine the other SP amps would work similar magic, but I can't comment with any degree of authority on that.

I've also heard them with the Original Master, I like the Master but I feel it's too far below the W5000's league. The W5000 works well from most amps, but I do feel that the tube amps work best with it, so I'd stick with my Raptor recommendation, as well as the SP range with my caveat.

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 37
I second the Raptor as a very nice amp for this set of headphones. As I was burning in my W5000, I left it playing on the headphone out on the Lavry, as I tend not to leave my tube amp on overnight and weekends at the office. The sound was surprisingly good thru the DAC itself, although I feel the Raptor sounded much more refined, and of course more lush and tubey. If you are putting your parts together one at a time, you would not be dissappointed using the Lavry out till you choose an amp.

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
Ill maybe get the HA5000 in 1-2weeks so you can watch out for a little comparison.

Man, that was fast.
Two weeks ago it was "maybe I will get it in a few months" and "I'm not comfortable with the required step down transformer" and now this.
The candle burns from both sides.
I hope your biz is really successful or you will soon be known as poorkid.
In any case, enjoy.

Aug 30, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #15 of 37
The W5000 is my favourite can and I own or have heard several time many of the amps mentioned here.
I use the W5000 at work out of the Lavry DA10 either directly off the headphone jack or with the OM. At home i use Opus 21>maxed Supra XLR>W5000.

The Lavry headphone jack works well with the W5000 and other low Z cans: is a good cheap solution for DAC+amp, actually the DAC side is very good IMO. The OM is extraordinary value for its price point : great powerful and tight bass, crisp focused sound, no grain at all, neutral signature.
To get much better than the OM you should go to the Raptor or any SP amp. I agree that the Raptor sounds very nice with the W5000: fantastic punch and great authority; I have only tried with the stock tubes. Also has a very small footprint.
SP amps are extremely good, a piece of art; tube rolling possibility are endless and you can trade-in and upgrade to higher models, including balanced, so it is the most flexible solution; also if you start from a PPX3 SLAM it is much more affordable than the Raptor.
With my Supra with the right tubes the W5000 sounds at its best. One of these days I will get the W5000 balanced.
Have not tried the AH5000 which may have an excellent synergy with the W5000 but certainly is a less flexible solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back