Which amp/dac to buy for Hifiman HE-400 with a $1000 budget
Jan 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Thomas3000

New Head-Fier
Hi all, new to this forum and I was wondering if someone could help me. I looking for an amp/dac for the Hifiman HE-400, I’m currently using these headphones with the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card. I am also considering selling my Sennheiser HD650 and upgrade to a HE-500 so I would like them to work on future headphones as well. I was wondering what would be the best amp/dac to buy to power these headphones to its full potential. My budget is $1000 so I would prefer to spend less money if that is possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 22
  With that kind of budget wouldn't it be more cost effective to upgrade the HP instead of spending that much for a dac+amp?

Yes it would be !

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 22
Thanks for the quick response I really appreciate it. I haven’t really decided yet in what headphones to buy, but I’m still researching between these three headphones HE-500, HE-6 or Beyerdynamic T1. But in the meantime I would like to buy an amp/dac for HE-400, but I’m not really sure what would to get. I am total noob when it comes to amps so what would you recommend for the HE-400?

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 22
  Thanks for the quick response I really appreciate it. I haven’t really decided yet in what headphones to buy, but I’m still researching between these three headphones HE-500, HE-6 or Beyerdynamic T1. But in the meantime I would like to buy an amp/dac for HE-400, but I’m not really sure what would to get. I am total noob when it comes to amps so what would you recommend for the HE-400?

I would make up your mind if you want the HE6s or not. As this would easily change future proofing your set up (as what it kinda sounds like you are doing). The HE6s take gobs of power to drive them well and for them to sound within their proper price range, at least from what I hear.

Otherwise I just received my project ember hybrid amp and could not be happier. It has more functionality than the Schiit Lyr from what I have read and it is $100 cheaper. It does have less power, but it should drive the HE400, HE500, and T1 with ease. With your budget though you may be able to buy a more expensive amp. Though I think there is a big jump in price from the $300-$500 level of amps (have not really researched it). I can not recommend a DAC though as my DAC is just the DX100. I hear decent things about the Schiit Bifrost. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 22
Thanks for all the helps guys . I decided that I will be buying the T1 which I found a seller on Ebay who sells them for $1050, which will shipped to the UK, London. I’m hopeful that the headphones won’t stop at customs who they will charge an arm and a leg. But will I wondering will I be able to run them ok with the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card until I afford an amplifier in June which is after my exams. I guess with that price I would prefer to buy the headphones instead then wait to buy an amplifier after. Sorry for causing so much headache for being so indecisive.

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 22
  Thanks for all the helps guys .I decided that I will be buying the T1 which I found a seller on Ebay who sells them for $1050, which will shipped to the UK, London. I’m hopeful that the headphones won’t stop at customs who they will charge an arm and a leg. But will I wondering will I be able to run them ok with the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card until I afford an amplifier in June which is after my exams. I guess with that price I would prefer to buy the headphones instead then wait to buy an amplifier after. Sorry for causing so much headache for being so indecisive.

I'm sure that sound card will do just fine, after exams look to get some schiit or o2/odac.

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 22
Thanks for all the helps guys .I decided that I will be buying the T1 which I found a seller on Ebay who sells them for $1050, which will shipped to the UK, London. I’m hopeful that the headphones won’t stop at customs who they will charge an arm and a leg. But will I wondering will I be able to run them ok with the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card until I afford an amplifier in June which is after my exams. I guess with that price I would prefer to buy the headphones instead then wait to buy an amplifier after. Sorry for causing so much headache for being so indecisive.

You might want to browse the Deals Discussion thread for some T1 deals, you can get it for a lot less than $1k.

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 22

You might want to browse the Deals Discussion thread for some T1 deals, you can get it for a lot less than $1k.

There was the T1 not long ago on a group buy website (restricted to say) that was selling the T1 for like $850. If you're paying $1050 for them you should just get the LCD-2 or HE-500s.

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 22
  There was the T1 not long ago on a group buy website (restricted to say) that was selling the T1 for like $850. If you're paying $1050 for them you should just get the LCD-2 or HE-500s.

I am not really sure about LC2 will have look into the reviews and to try them first to see if I like the sounds or not. But do you honestly think they are worth considering over T1 since I mainly listen to Hip hop, R&b, techno, Rap, pop, Classical, House, electro & house, drum and bass and generally anything modern. I also do lot of gaming as well and the type of game I do play often are BF3, BF4 and Skyrim but I will be using the HE- 400 instead. You previously referred to a seller that sales these T1 for less, I was going to buy them on Friday from Razerdogaudio but now that you have mentioned that there are better offers available I think I will take my chances buying it elsewhere that’s if I manage to find a better price. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 22

I am not really sure about LC2 will have look into the reviews and to try them first to see if I like the sounds or not. But do you honestly think they are worth considering over T1 since I mainly listen to Hip hop, R&b, techno, Rap, pop, Classical, House, electro & house, drum and bass and generally anything modern. I also do lot of gaming as well and the type of game I do play often are BF3, BF4 and Skyrim but I will be using the HE- 400 instead. You previously referred to a seller that sales these T1 for less, I was going to buy them on Friday from Razerdogaudio but now that you have mentioned that there are better offers available I think I will take my chances buying it elsewhere that’s if I manage to find a better price. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

LCD2 has a dark sound signiture so it would probably suit hip hop and electronic music better than the T1 which is neutral to bright.

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 22

HiFiMan models dropped $100 so the HE-500 is only $599 now, The LCD-2 can be found for as low as $995 at headamp and maybe cheaper at some places, maybe getting them used for cheaper would be good. I truly think that the LCD-2 is better than the T1, although the T1's will be more comfortable.

EDIT: If you're going to spend this much on headphones the HD 800 looks very nice as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624061/please-vote-audeze-lcd-2-vs-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-sennheiser-hd-800-vs-audeze-lcd-3/150

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 22
  HiFiMan models dropped $100 so the HE-500 is only $599 now, The LCD-2 can be found for as low as $995 at headamp and maybe cheaper at some places, maybe getting them used for cheaper would be good. I truly think that the LCD-2 is better than the T1, although the T1's will be more comfortable.

EDIT: If you're going to spend this much on headphones the HD 800 looks very nice as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624061/please-vote-audeze-lcd-2-vs-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-sennheiser-hd-800-vs-audeze-lcd-3/150

I don’t think the He-500 is ideal to get because the bass is flat like the Sennheiser HD650 and I like my headphones to have bass when listening to music. But what is the differences between these three Lc2,Lc3 and Audeze LCD-X ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back