Which amp between a D25s and K401 (DIY ?)
Nov 26, 2002 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Headphoneus Supremus
I've just bought a pair of AKG K401 from Mr Man and I will use it with my D25s. I know some people listen to this combo but from what I read, it's far to be the best solution. So I need an amp to complete a nice desk rig, but wich one ? I didn't find a lot of threads with a comparaison of 401 on differents amps.

Knowing that :

- It must be powerful to give current enought to drive the K401s.
- My source and headphones aren't the best in the market, the amp should be just what will take them to their best, without revealing their lacks.
- I spent around 130 $ for the source and the headphones, I should find in the next month at least 200$ for the amp if needed.
- I don't have preferences for a particular design.
- If an used commercial amp fits my requests, I ve nothing against. On the other hand, if I must pay someone, I like the idea to pay one of the DIYer.
- It must run on 220V !(the best would be 120-220V), of course no battery but wallwart powered.
- Size isn't really an issue (must be placed on a desk) and portability absolutly not.
- The actual command won't take place before January or february, I just want to collect as many informations as possible.

Nov 27, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 3
When I had the 501 (since sold) the Meta drove them really well.
A Gilmore would probably drive them even better but that is a bit over your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back