Which Amp Are You Sorry You Sold?
Sep 29, 2002 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
If you have every sold an amp and later regreted it. Which one was it. I had a couple MG Head, Headroom Max and maybe the Grado RA-1. It had a hiss with my ETy's though.

Sep 29, 2002 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 21
A week ago, my SHA-1 sat cold on the chopping block. This week, I'm not so certain I should bring a cleaver down on it. I may be resorting to second-guesses as so many other readers often do (weekly? monthly?); nevertheless, I'm thankful for the few people who encouraged me to organize my thoughts into a review of this (and another) amplifier. In a matter of hours, my writings have helped me tell myself what stream-of-conciousness simply couldn't.

Be satisfied, however hard that may be.

NGF

Sep 29, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 21
I got lucky. I almost sold my Melos SHA-1, but it didn't sell at the price I asked. Fantastic break, as it's now my favorite amp with two of my best headphones. Seems to be a matter of giving up on the expensive tubes and settling on a relative inexpensive pair of Sylvanias. If I had actually sold it when I tried to, I would be an unhappy camper right about now (although I would never have known what I would have been missing).

Sep 29, 2002 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 21
For me it would be the Denon POA-2800; a solid-state stereo power amp rated at 200 watts into 8 ohms, and 350 into 4 ohms. This thing was pure Class A, and for a solid-state it sounded extremely smooth with great extension in the treble; a great amp to drive analytical speakers, and even better if used in a bi-amping configuration to drive huge floor standers. I would love to have this amp back right now, because the inefficient bookshelf speakers I'm gonna buy would match up with this amp perfectly. For an $800.00 list price amp the midrange, and treble were killer. But, I guess Denon doesn't make anything quite like this now days.

Sep 29, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 21
My Marantz 2216.... Long time ago...
frown.gif

Sep 29, 2002 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 21
The Earmax Pro. Sold in anticipation of the speaker system that wasn't to be. The apartment with the den to house it all I had the landlord holding for me was rented out before I had the chance to finalize any moving plans.

Sep 29, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Ari
My Marantz 2216.... Long time ago...
frown.gif

I have a working (!) 2226B that I use with my AKG K-1000s, so I sympathize. . . .

A long time ago I sold an NAD 3020, they're old basic workhorse integrated. I still wish I had it around.

Sep 29, 2002 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
I have a working (!) 2226B that I use with my AKG K-1000s, so I sympathize. . . .

A long time ago I sold an NAD 3020, they're old basic workhorse integrated. I still wish I had it around.

Hey FCJ !!

Keep it...!!!

I sold to a friend. He has it till today. I always ask him to buy it back...you know the answer...

Best form

Ari

Sep 29, 2002 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Ari

Hey FCJ !!

Keep it...!!!

I sold to a friend. He has it till today. I always ask him to buy it back...you know the answer...

Best form

Ari

Don't worry--as long as it still works it isn't going anywhere. . . .

Sep 29, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 21
I only go forward--no regrets. I think it's funny the way some of you guys buy and sell the same headphones and amps. I think there is a secondary hobby here that is in the bartering. For me that secondary component is the exploration aspect - so buying something again I've already heard doesn't help me out in that way. Amps are like pokemon to me--gotta hear em all. Leave no stone unturned and all that.

Sep 29, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I only go forward--no regrets. I think it's funny the way some of you guys buy and sell the same headphones and amps. I think there is a secondary hobby here that is in the bartering. For me that secondary component is the exploration aspect - so buying something again I've already heard doesn't help me out in that way. Amps are like pokemon to me--gotta hear em all. Leave no stone unturned and all that.

You're lucky.

Funny, but I've bought CDs after I sold them earlier. Even funnier is when I buy a CD that I already own. . . .

Sep 29, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 21
Yeah, no regrets here either. However sometimes it's hard to part with an amp that I have built.
frown.gif

Sep 29, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 21
Lord have mercy,...<sniff>, I think maybe I should sell an amp just to "feel your pain". I'm sorry, ...this is just all too much. I'm gonna have to step away and cry for a while.

On second thought, I think I'll just buy a new one...

wink.gif

Sep 29, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
I'm not sorry I sold any of them... but the one I miss the most is my good old MG Head OTL.

same here... I miss tubes!

i really wanna hear an all tube/vinyl system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back