Which 6922 tubes to use? What's good?
Aug 17, 2007 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

hugz

1000+ Head-Fier
Time to replace the 6922 tubes in my preamp
biggrin.gif
it currently uses electroharmonix 6922EH, but it's time to upgrade.

What tubes would you guys suggest as a replacement for my EHs?

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 33
Telefunken CCAs (Or Siemens CCAs if you have to sacrifice a bit) ;p JK. I like the mid tier Amperex. Unless I have my tube models messed in the head.

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Telefunken CCAs (Or Siemens CCAs if you have to sacrifice a bit) ;p JK. I like the mid tier Amperex. Unless I have my tube models messed in the head.

thanks for the quick reply
biggrin.gif
i always wanted to own some telefunken tubes because the brand name is so cool
smily_headphones1.gif
now to find me some CCAs
wink.gif

CCAs seem to be NOS though, eh? any recommendations for current production in case the telefunken/siemens CCAs are a problem?

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 33
now i see why ur joking about the telefunkens :| toooo pricey :'(

my preamp has 5x6922 so i'd be out of pocket... a lot of money

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 33
I like the Siemens 6922 gold pin (which is the only way they are). Often RCA had 6922 and these would have the number between the pins and other identifing marks.

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 33
Among new stock tube, EH 6922 gold should be one of the best, if not, the best current production tube.

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Among new stock tube, EH 6922 gold should be one of the best, if not, the best current production tube.

it's pretty microphonic and also has some background white noise. i suppose it could be because of a mismatch between my gear though. my power amp has 15.5db gain. i wonder if this is too much for headphones?

one of my EH tubes are extra microphonic
frown.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's pretty microphonic and also has some background white noise. i suppose it could be because of a mismatch between my gear though. my power amp has 15.5db gain. i wonder if this is too much for headphones?

one of my EH tubes are extra microphonic
frown.gif

I understand that. But this is just the problem of the one you have. There are likewise many microphonic and noisy telefunken E88CC. The CCa is a low noise E88CC, not guarantee low microphonic though. It also could be your amp which is more sensitive to tube noise. Ask your dealer to get a EH 6922 Gold selected or even extemely selected for you (tell him how you are gonna use the tube and where). I will see a smile on your face by then.

Aug 17, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 33
I have Amperex bugle boys and am very happy with the way they sound. I have not heard any other so not able to compare. My Siemens 12AX7's are some of the better that I have heard so I would be prepared to bet on them too..dB

Aug 17, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 33
I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned 7308's. The USA Amperex 7308's will educate you on just how sweet and extended the 6DJ8 family can be. The highs are very extended but there is no hardness which happens with the 6DJ8 and the 6922 in the upper highs.

The 7308 also has exceptional transient response while remaining warm. Extremely detailed and lush in the right circuit. The Military JAN's are the ones I prefer, but the white lables are about the same. The price won't kill you and if you try them you may never look back. I've been using them for years and after awhile bought enough to last me if the supply dries up.

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #12 of 33
I've been using 4 x 6922 gold pin Electro Hamonix tubes in my Audio Research pre-amp for over a year and I'm happier with them than the Sovtek ones that A.R. normally supplies as OEM for my pre-amp.

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweArt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using 4 x 6922 gold pin Electro Hamonix tubes in my Audio Research pre-amp for over a year and I'm happier with them than the Sovtek ones that A.R. normally supplies as OEM for my pre-amp.

Well ... , a couple of folks I know with high-end pre-amps that use 6922 tubes, swear by the Sovteks ... , so I dunno ...

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X2.

Depending on how much you're willing to fork out, you may be able to score a set of decent NOS (though Siemens CCAs will cost ya).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back