Which $400 IEM to buy for Metal and Electronic (Poll Inside)
Nov 15, 2011 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

theguatemalian

Head-Fier
So I made it simple these are the options I have but haven't been able to find definitive reviews for most except the TripleFi 10, ER4P, and the GR07. I'm wondering which of these would be best and if it would be worth it to buy a custom or just get a universal until I can afford high-end $900-1200 customs.

I listen to Metal (aswell as other rock genres) and Electronica, the songs are bassy but I'm not a fan of resounding head shaking bass and subbass, just hearing it is good enough for me. I like treble sparkle but not piercing and mids shouldn't be recessed as I've come to notice during my critical listening sessions that they for me are the glue that holds the music together, and make it well "musical".

Thanks for any replies!

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 19
TF10s: King of metal/Electronic. However, JH5s have received very positive reviews. I would not go near Etys since bass response simply isn't enough for those genre types and GR07s are a bit overhyped. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 19
Yea I read a few reviews that said the TF10s are good for those genres. Also though I saw on some other reviews that there are build quality issues with them are they isolated incidents or is it common for TF10s to suffer from defects?

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 19
I personally did not have any issues plus the removable cable is a definite plus. You do need to watch the fit though; if you have smaller ears, I wouldn't recommend them. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 19
the ER-4S with a Fiio E6 in RED mode (+6dB)

NOTHING tops that for metal music, including deathmetal

It sounds so friggin amazing, the detal, the highs and the mids, and the lows get a good punch in red mode but dont overwhelm any of the other freqs. It has the best detail of any IEM i have ever listened to Universal or Custom (For Metal). I have listened to all the flagships and this setup is by far the best.

I usually go to the gym with either my Twag'd IE8s or my JH16 Pro and every time i switch to my ER-4s becuase of its detal

Its also very good with lower bitrate songs.

Pic of my mobile setup: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/265/imag0105rg.jpg/

its like 300 for the ER-4S brand new, but you can get one in the forum market for about 200 almost brand new, a Fiio E6 is about 65 brand new and the standard LOD is cheap

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 19
Hello the guatemalian,

I can personally assure you that both the JH-5 and 1964-T are tremendously better than the tf-10s for all genres of music. And the Gr-07 is much more preferable if you want a balanced iem with the same 3d presentation found in the sm3 and great mids. What characteristics am I talking about? Speed (Check), Soundstage (Check), Detail (Check), Timbre (Check), Accuracy (Check), Sub-bass (Check), Transparency (Check), Extension (Check), Quality (Check), Resolution (Check), Sheer quantity of Bass (No).
Don't listen to a single person claiming the tf-10s are king unless they've actually owned the other points of reference listed. Or accurately made an argument without bias for them. It's absurd how people can claim the Gr-07 is a FOTM while ignoring the fact the tf-10s have been more "hyped" for a greater period of time.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 19
^ I agree, for the cost of tf10s at around 120-150, they pretty damn good and unbeatable in my books. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
the ER-4S with a Fiio E6 in RED mode (+6dB)

NOTHING tops that for metal music, including deathmetal

It sounds so friggin amazing, the detal, the highs and the mids, and the lows get a good punch in red mode but dont overwhelm any of the other freqs. It has the best detail of any IEM i have ever listened to Universal or Custom (For Metal). I have listened to all the flagships and this setup is by far the best.

I usually go to the gym with either my Twag'd IE8s or my JH16 Pro and every time i switch to my ER-4s becuase of its detal

Its also very good with lower bitrate songs.

Pic of my mobile setup: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/265/imag0105rg.jpg/

its like 300 for the ER-4S brand new, but you can get one in the forum market for about 200 almost brand new, a Fiio E6 is about 65 brand new and the standard LOD is cheap

Evil Calyptic,

Have you tried everything in order to make such a blanket statement or are you just proclaiming your own setup?
You've listened to all the flagships of all the customs/universals? I somewhat doubt that.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
^ I agree, for the cost of tf10s at around 120-150, they pretty damn good and unbeatable in my books. 

Rangerid,

Have you heard the Stax Sr-001/3 before?
Unbeatable is a very controversial word. Take it with a grain of salt.
Don't give him the wrong idea. Consider most if not all choices.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 19
dude... calm down... these are just opinions lol....

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:

If only TF10's were $120. I've been looking for a pair to get reshelled into customs, and the cheapest I can find is $200. I hope they do another $100 sale this year.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
I have listen to almost all the flagships including the TF10

I also own the Zeus too which is a 10 driver custom

The ER-4S has the best detail for metal

heres one for 190 from appleseed : http://www.head-fi.org/t/579527/etymotic-er-4s

Evilcalyptic,

You sorta ignored my questions.
Zeus from MaoDi?
It doesn't matter anyways since the fact you own that has absolutely no impact whatsoever on the OP's choices.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 19
Chill...

Yeah the zeus from mao

and im just suggesting to him like the rest of you. from my listening sessions with many IEMS great and bad... the ER-4S  with an E6 in red was the best for metal. The TF10s were good, but dont compair to the level of detail or isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back