Which ~$1000 Amp Will Best Suit The RS-1s?
Mar 17, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #16 of 23
It may be more trouble than you're willing to go to, but I've had very good results with the Dickman Amp. It's not commercially available, but the schematic is found in issue #16 of Vacuum Tube Valley. Here's a link:

http://www.vacuumtube.com/

You can order backissues there. Dickman designed this amp specifically for Grados, which is why I decided to build one. All the parts are readily available and the cost runs $250-$300. More, if you use boutique parts.

If you don't do DIY, you can see if MisterX or any of the other builders will build one for you. You should be able to easily get one under $1,000.

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #17 of 23
HAHA! This thread is a perfect example of how greatly tastes and preferences vary here at Head-Fi. So many different suggestions. I bet before long we will name every popular (and/or obscure) amp that is out there.

I'm surprised no Darkvoice, Woo, Rudistor, Headroom, Little Dot, Chinese Amp, Vintage Amp or RA-1 fans have chimed in yet (give it time).

I suppose the moral to the story is that the RS-1s are esy to drive, and sound good on most of the amps that are out there. By that rational, all suggestions in this thread are good ones.

What the OP needs to do is decide if he would prefer a tube flavor, or a solid state flavor and then go from there.

For my personal tastes:

The RS-1s sound their best with bowl pads and tube amplification.

The RS-1s can sound very good (but not thier best) with solid state amplification - provided that flat pads are used.

As always with this incredibly subjective hobby, YMMV.

Edit: I wonder how long it will be before team 'amps don't make a difference' jump in with their 2 cents?

rs1smile.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Raptor is amazing with grados (RS1, SR225, PS1, SR60's) and with every other can i've used it with. but the rsa amp/grado headphone thang is very special indeed.
rs1smile.gif
gs1000.gif

x2. Love my RS1s with the Raptor
rs1smile.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh forgot to ask:

When did the Raptors price drop below $1000? Last I checked it cost $1175, and I'm not even sure if that includes shipping fees.

I got mine used in the FS forum here for less than $1,000.00.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #22 of 23
I paid under 900 used. mint condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh forgot to ask:

When did the Raptors price drop below $1000? Last I checked it cost $1175, and I'm not even sure if that includes shipping fees.

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #23 of 23
Speaking of used amps .... the PPX3 SLAM was my Grado standard until the Extreme arrived. You can pick this amp up used for around $600-650. This is another great sounding amp .... extremely quiet, low tube cost and lots of inexpensive tube rolling options. The SLAM can rock out or do a complete reversal and sound very delicate and refined with acoustic music. The cost of a new PPX3 slam is $899.

Picture093.jpg

The Headamp GS-1 is my choice for <$1000 solid state amps. This amp is a good all rounder that was made specifically to drive Grados. The GS-1 has lots of nice features like a gain control, loop out, 2 selectable inputs and a preamp output in a small attracive silver or black chassis.

Here is a pic of the GS-1 doing preamp duties in my speaker rig. The GS-1 is an excellent preamp.

3c6fb755.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back