Which $100-$230 headphone to buy? (unamped,eBay)
Jun 7, 2008 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nicholaus

Head-Fier
Hy,I was saving for my triple.fi 10,but realized i need the money,so I'm buying (this month,at least :p) some good headphones.
My first big 'phones.Strictly unamped,out of an iPod Touch (buying them now,need them for summer) and for my computer (onboard sound,plan to buy proper sound card in the near future).
The price range is $100-$230 dollars,and I'm buying from eBay.I listen mostly to rock,indie,pop and electronic music.Some acoustic here and there.
They don't need to be closed,isolation is not needed.I just want the best sound possible for that price range.Thanks in advance...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 17
If they need to be portable:
Audio Technica Ath-ES7

Jun 7, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 17
I don't know if I'm even allowed to post this here, but I would sell you my ATH-A900's for 200 as soon as the damned AD2000's get out of switzerland customs :p

Jun 7, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 17
They don't need to be portable.I'll look into these suggestions,thanks.Keep 'em coming
wink.gif

@Fetou:I'll pm you if I'm interested,thanks.

Jun 7, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 17
Don't listen to all saying ES7, those are total crap IMO. Go Denon all the way.
For cheap Denon D1000 less then $100 on ebay. And it smokes anything in it's class... Check Skylabs review. Trust me, I've had them all at this price and NOTHING is as musical, comfort ect!!! Denon D1000 and don't look back, Until you wanna upgrade to Hi-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hy,I was saving for my triple.fi 10,but realized i need the money,so I'm buying (this month,at least :p) some good headphones.
My first big 'phones.Strictly unamped,out of an iPod Touch (buying them now,need them for summer) and for my computer (onboard sound,plan to buy proper sound card in the near future).
The price range is $100-$230 dollars,and I'm buying from eBay.I listen mostly to rock,indie,pop and electronic music.Some acoustic here and there.
They don't need to be closed,isolation is not needed.I just want the best sound possible for that price range.Thanks in advance...
smily_headphones1.gif

Buy my DT 990 05 model I'm selling on ebay.. They are 250 ohms though..

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 17
Look for a Grado SR-225. Great headphones for the price, great for rock. You won't be disappointed.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look for a Grado SR-225. Great headphones for the price, great for rock. You won't be disappointed.

Yep. I came in here to recommend the Grado SR-225. Great headphone!

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 17
So far:

Audio Technica Ath-ES7

Grado SR-225 (a little hard to find)

Denon D2000 (very popular as I search the forum,may have a build problem)

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 17
Any new opinions?
Sorry for the bump,but I want to buy them today or tomorrow,since it's my birthday tomorrow.

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 17
well for narrowed advise you should clarify how portable you need them to be and if portable, would you still use open back headphones?
HD 25-1 headphones aparantly (HAVE NOT HEARD THEM) are good for portable use, but dont take my word for it, do a search and see what people who own it think of them.

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #13 of 17
They don't need to be portable at all.I won't go out and listen to them.It's not a priority.I just want the best sound for the music type I stated,for this price range.Closed,open,doesn't matter.

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 17
Well if you feel you need something detailed with some bass the D2000's apparantly are the go, although the bass is regarded as slightly bloated sounding and will further tighten with amplification. The 225 sounds like it fits the bill best for you if you wont need soundstage (have not heard either, just things ive read from others that have heard it). whatever choice you make I'm sure wou wont be dissapointed but perhaps further reading on the suggested models from people in the thread could help you narrow (if you have not already). what I said was just in a nutshell. I use the MS-1 which is pretty cheap (100) grado-ish phone and although i dont listen to too much electronic or pop, i listen to ALOT of rock and indie and for those genres I preffer them over my AD700's. I think the bass although not the deepest (probably not as much as the 225 id imagine) has great impact.
take everything ive said with a fistful of salt but thats the best advice I can give
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 17
Well,I'm leaning to the D2000,and will probably buy them tomorrow.Just gonna wait a bit to see if anyone has something different to say.Thanks a lot for this more detailed description,I appreciate it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back