Where's the "BOOM"?
Oct 22, 2008 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Ashmedae

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Posts
28
Likes
0
Hello, I've been a lurker for a little while now and decided to finally register and post.

After reading a lot of reviews, opinions, and thoughts (about 200-250 some odd pages worth of posts) I decided to buy the SA6 IEMs. I've been VERY impressed with the SQ, but I'm quite disappointed with the bass. I've had these IEMs for about 5 days now...hoping that my ears would adjust accordingly...hoping that the bass would deliver more "punch" than what I was hearing. I've tried all of the possible combinations...settled on +:+ and I'm still not satisfied. Tonight I decided to listen to "The Way You Move" by Outkast - rather than "BOOM...BOOM..boom" it felt/sounded more like "b??m...b??m..b??m". I've read that some tips help with the bass...like using the 'olives'...but I don't think any of the suggestions will add as much "punch" as I'd like. Please correct me if I'm wrong there.

...Would someone be kind enough to recommend a pair of IEMs that match the SQ of the SA6s, but have more "boom" (or "punch" rather)...one that preferably doesn't need an amp to shine and is about $200? I've read about the q-JAYS and I don't want to be replacing filters every other day. I've read that the Atrios are "bassy" but lack in the 'highs' department in comparison to the SA6s. Supposedly the UM2s are slightly harsh, lack treble detail in comparison to the SA6s...and are definitely out of my price range.

Thanks,
Oyan B.

Edit: changed my emphasis as to how much bass it felt/sounded like I was hearing

Edit#2: Grammar....
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 25

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Joined
May 11, 2004
Posts
20,103
Likes
9,569
Location
Mid Johor, Malaysia
Have you try the pinhole mod? Take out the B+ port, hold it up into the light and you will see a very small hole in the center end of the port. Find yourself a very small needle and push it through the hole. Place the B+ port back see if you can detect any difference.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 25

Ashmedae

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Posts
28
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think SA6's with bass tubes are extremely low on bass, you either have a horrible perception of it or youre not getting a seal.


I always make sure I get a nice seal. I've even gone as far as bringing my hands over my head and grasping the top of my ears...pulling 'up and out' on my ears to open up the ear canals...and inserting the IEMs with the bass ports on the bottom. I have a pair of $36 Philips IEMs that have a bigger "impact" than the pair of SA6 IEMs that I own. So you tell me....

Edit: Just wanted to add that I always make sure my ears are clean too.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 25

Ashmedae

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Posts
28
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you try the pinhole mod? Take out the B+ port, hold it up into the light and you will see a very small hole in the center end of the port. Find yourself a very small needle and push it through the hole. Place the B+ port back see if you can detect any difference.


I've read about that in the SA6 thread, but I'm worried about goofing up somehow and or not liking the results...ruining the B+ ports. I guess I could fork over another $12 or so for replacement ports if need be....

Edit: I just now tried doing what you suggested and it sounds better...but not quite the "impact/punch" I was hoping for.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 25

Stikk

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Posts
215
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashmedae /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of $36 Philips IEMs that have a bigger "impact" than the pair of SA6 IEMs that I own. So you tell me....


I think (and I am just hypothesising here) that what you're experiencing is not a lack of ability to accurately reproduce but the lack of impact delivered by the balanced armature driver of the sleeks. A dynamic driver headphone would probably give you the sound you're looking for.

The SoundMagic PL30s, for example, while only ~$20 shipped from Focalprice, they pump out the bass and I would suggest maybe you try them to see if you prefer their sound. I was listening to a remix of DeepDish's Flash Dance track this morning and I heard frequencies I haven't heard since I had a sub in my car. Seriously, I felt everything but the physical vibration through my body, it amazed me.

Dynamic drivers work differently to balanced armature (which I'm pretty sure the Sleeks use) and they move a lot more air which gives more "punch" which sounds like what you're looking for. I'd try the suggestions from other SA6 users in the meantime but I'd order a pair of PL30s for ~10% of your budget to give them a try, if they satisfy your need for bass, you know you prefer the sound of dynamic drivers. They have been compared to many ~$200 'phones around here and I love them. They stack up well to my Sony MDR-EX90LPs which were about $160 and have a bigger dynamic driver in them, they're definitely worth a try.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 25

Ashmedae

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Posts
28
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stikk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think (and I am just hypothesising here) that what you're experiencing is not a lack of ability to accurately reproduce but the lack of impact delivered by the balanced armature driver of the sleeks. A dynamic driver headphone would probably give you the sound you're looking for.

The SoundMagic PL30s, for example, while only ~$20 shipped from Focalprice, they pump out the bass and I would suggest maybe you try them to see if you prefer their sound. I was listening to a remix of DeepDish's Flash Dance track this morning and I heard frequencies I haven't heard since I had a sub in my car. Seriously, I felt everything but the physical vibration through my body, it amazed me.

Dynamic drivers work differently to balanced armature (which I'm pretty sure the Sleeks use) and they move a lot more air which gives more "punch" which sounds like what you're looking for. I'd try the suggestions from other SA6 users in the meantime but I'd order a pair of PL30s for ~10% of your budget to give them a try, if they satisfy your need for bass, you know you prefer the sound of dynamic drivers. They have been compared to many ~$200 'phones around here and I love them. They stack up well to my Sony MDR-EX90LPs which were about $160 and have a bigger dynamic driver in them, they're definitely worth a try.



Interesting.... You learn something new every day. Thanks! I knew that there were different types of drivers...but apparently I didn't do enough research. I'm not sure if the Philips I have are dynamic or balanced armatures...but I'm assuming the former with what you have posted. ...And if that's the case...then I need to find a pair of dynamic driver IEMs that have the same SQ as the SA6. So these PL30s are comparable to some $200 IEMs you say? I'll have to give them a try then. Thanks again! Tis much appreciated!

-Oyan
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 25

Stikk

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Posts
215
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashmedae /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting.... You learn something new every day. Thanks! I knew that there were two types of drivers...but apparently I didn't do enough research. I'm not sure if the Philips I have are dynamic or balanced armatures...but I'm assuming the former with what you have posted. ...And if that's the case...then I need to find a pair of dynamic driver IEMs that have the same SQ as the SA6. So these PL30s are comparable to some $200 IEMs you say? I'll have to give them a try then. Thanks again! Tis much appreciated!

-Oyan



No worries, glad I could help. As for your Phillips 'phones, I would say they are more than likely dynamic drivers. They are like normal speakers but much smaller (PL30s are 9mm, my Sonys are 13.5mm) and they're actually cheaper to make than the Balanced Armatures. The BA drivers seem to show up in the higher end IEMs, I dont think I have ever seen them in cheap IEMs. (Someone correct me if they have seen them in cheap IEMs)

The PL30s have been compared, by many people, to some much MUCH more expensive earphones. I have a pair and I think they're great, they even have a little bass knob on them so you can adjust the bass (only 2 settings, "clear" and "extended") and they are quite highly regarded by people who own them around here.

If you're not in a rush, you can get them from focalprice here. They don't ship very quickly though so don't expect them for a couple of weeks if you get them from there. i got mine off ebay for double the price and they came pretty quickly.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #10 of 25

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Posts
2,001
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashmedae /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Would someone be kind enough to recommend a pair of IEMs that match the SQ of the SA6s, but have more "boom" (or "punch" rather)...one that preferably doesn't need an amp to shine and is about $200? I've read about the q-JAYS and I don't want to be replacing filters every other day. I've read that the Atrios are "bassy" but lack in the 'highs' department in comparison to the SA6s. Supposedly the UM2s are slightly harsh, lack treble detail in comparison to the SA6s...and are definitely out of my price range.


The Klipsch Image X10 and maybe the Livewires would be your best bet, but they lose to the Sleeks in the mids. And they cost more than $200. There's a good reason why the Sleeks are so highly rated, they offer a lot for their price and is one of the best bargains in the IEM world. If you are really tight in your budget I suggest that you stick to the Atrios.

If you want to up your budget and want something that's the Sleeks with more bass you'll going to have to go for the UM2.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #11 of 25

ljcii

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Posts
450
Likes
10
Maybe you should be the first to try Sennheiser ie6. It's is dynamic driver.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 25

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Joined
May 11, 2004
Posts
20,103
Likes
9,569
Location
Mid Johor, Malaysia
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@stikk cheapest armature IEM I can think of is the E2C which is $60


I believe E2c uses dynamic transducer.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #14 of 25

Ashmedae

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Posts
28
Likes
0
Would a dual armature driver give the same results as a dynamic driver? Or rather...would I get the same 'oomph' from a dual armature driver as I would from a dynamic driver? Thanks again.

-Oyan

Edit: I just now saw the "The Ultimate 'Which IEMs/Headphones Should I Get" thread...sorry about this thread. I'm still curious to know more and get valuable input from the rest of you. Again, thanks!
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 25

TacticalPenguin

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 6, 2008
Posts
474
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe E2c uses dynamic transducer.


Does it really? Hmm I always thought it was an armature. That'll make the cheapest armature IEM I can think of the ER 6i then.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top