Where's all the Supermacro threads?
Dec 2, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
ONE LAST IMPORTANT TIP

With my Ety's, both in 4P or 4S mode, I feel the 6dB bass boost is JUST Right. Yes, it's relatively subtle, but there still are significant boost from lower-midrange to low bass, gradually increasing. Any more than the 6dB, I feel would be too much, as even 6dB is just about to creep into and harm the midrange purity/neutrality a little. I think the old 6dB boost is very tastefully, non-intrusively done.

So if you order the 10dB new version boost, you do it at your own peril.

I agree, I think the 10db bass boost might be a little much for my westone um2's. I also found the bass unobtrusive, but noticeable, and plenty for the music I've been rockin'. Maybe, it'll change in a little bit, but I can only see myself enjoying this amp more and more...

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #32 of 43
No, erikzen, I did not see Zanth's review until you posted that link! Thanks for that. Luckily, I don't have expendable cash anymore (thanks, girlfriend's birthday) so I can sit on the sidelines and wait for the impressions and comparisons to roll in.

Really, the only two amps I'm considering are the SuperMacro and the SR-71. The PocketReference is apparently on hiatus otherwise that would round off my top three. Hopefully we'll get a porta-shootout. I know the PR isn't as portable as the other two but I'd still like to see the comparisons
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ash

Dec 2, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #33 of 43
I was also bothered by the SM's copper battery leads connected to the removable back cover by doublesided sticky tape. But it works, and is easy fixable if any problems should arrise in the future.

For the crowded input jacks space problem I used this ...

extension-wire.jpg

to connect my headphones to the SM while I was using the SM power adapter. I don't know about the cable quality, but it seems like it has a gold plated plug. This cable adapter's plug is very small, and fits the small area of the SM with the power adapter plug connected and in use. It is pretty costy at $4.99 What is everybody else using? If you are interested in purchasing this cable adapter it is available at www.iriveramerica.com
navigate to the MP3 Hard drive player accessories and it is listed there
as the "iRiver Headphone Adapter Cable."

The picture above is an extension cable (adapter cable) that came with my iRiver H120 Hard drive MP3 player. This adapter allows certain types of headphones to fit into the recessed jack on the remotes for the iMP-550, H120, and H140 units. It works for the SM allowing me to plug in whatever headphones while using the power adapter. I am sure that RadioShack might
have something similar, but I have not checked.

Now the issue with SM Bass Boost: there was plenty of bass using the SM with my Koss KSC-35's (infact the SM does improve these headphones greatly.) Infact the SM amplification makes the bass thunder and rumble coming out of the KSC-35's and ATH-A900's, and you can feel the bass impact on your ears.

To my ears the original settings of the SM Extra Bass Boost, with this extra feature 'ON' using KSC-35's, the audible bass here sounded like it was just amplified bass along with the rest of the amplified music soundstage. IMO it didn't sound like an extra bass boost (aside from the normal amplified bass)
was being produced from my SM by the Extra Bass Boost feature. By changing my headphones I would get the same results. And using the primary headphones I wanted to use with the SM the ER-4P's, turning the SM Bass Boost switch on and off I could not hear big differences in the output sound. So I sent my SM to get the bass boost adjusted (along with some other issues that developed.) Maybe with the top end IEMs you can notice the difference.

However, don't get me wrong, the SM does make the ER-4Ps sound fuller,
and potent, but I was looking for more bass impact sounds that I was hoping
the SM would provide. (Maybe it will after the adjustments.) I can't wait to
get my SM back from XIN.
etysmile.gif

You see the SM's are now arriving to more people. Enjoy!

Dec 2, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle b
I agree, I think the 10db bass boost might be a little much for my westone um2's. I also found the bass unobtrusive, but noticeable, and plenty for the music I've been rockin'. Maybe, it'll change in a little bit, but I can only see myself enjoying this amp more and more...

Whoa. You flip up the booster rocket on the UM2s? I'm worried that might seriously thump my cerebral cortex (if I have one). Just received and fired up my new SuperMACRO (as opposed to the SuperMONO I had previously). I agree with the notion that 6db is pretty synergistic with the Etys, and makes my music full, deep, and potent. A substantial improvement over the original SM. Haven't plugged in the Westones yet, but plan to do so this evening.

Dec 2, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #35 of 43
Hey rab10,
Thanks for the tip on the extension from the iHP-series iRiver, I never use the remote because of cord OVERKILL, now I gotta dig that thing out for sure and try it out!

Hey vranswer,

I'm enamored with the Westone um2's right now, and I guess my head is kinda hurting this afternoon from a morning of serious SM rocking! I've been so excited about the SM, I've not thought about my headache!

Dec 2, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #36 of 43
I use the adapter that came with my HD650's. It works great and appears to be pretty good quality and there is no problem with room.

If you really want to rock put on Dire Straits "Love Over Gold". The bass is fantastic and extremely well controlled. The sound is transparent, dynamic and fun.

John

Dec 3, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #37 of 43
Without sounding like a dummy, what are the output and inputs on the battery charger that is included with the SuperMacro set at? I live in the USA. Thanks for the reply(ies).

Dec 3, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Without sounding like a dummy, what are the output and inputs on the battery charger that is included with the SuperMacro set at? I live in the USA. Thanks for the reply(ies).

You check out a picture in this page . Basically you set it to 12V (the most the switch goes to the right), and you set the polarity switch to the downward position.

Dec 3, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
You check out a picture in this page . Basically you set it to 12V (the most the switch goes to the right), and you set the polarity switch to the downward position.

Thanks for the reply, and the switch on the back of the charger is in the lower position (100-120 V AC)?

Also, can you get a "dummy" AC plug for the front hole on the SM at like Radio Shack or something? I wanna see the performance enhanced (if there is any) from over riding the battery-save mode.

Dec 3, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, and the switch on the back of the charger is in the lower position (100-120 V AC)?

Also, can you get a "dummy" AC plug for the front hole on the SM at like Radio Shack or something? I wanna see the performance enhanced (if there is any) from over riding the battery-save mode.

Yeah, set it to 100-120V AC. I'm pretty sure you can get a dummy plug at RadioShack. Just take your SM there and I'm sure you'll find a plug that fits it.

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #41 of 43
OK, I just had to post this. I now see why you guys like the impedence switch. I just plugged an Oehlbach 120 ohm adapter into the SuperMacro and it was like a different amp. The bass was almost "breathing" and the sound lost some of its high end edge. To be sure, this is nothing new with my cans. The DT 931 have always benefited from extra impedence but I've never noticed such a large difference with other amps. I may have lost a little bit of detail but the warmth is nice with some music.

Dec 4, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #42 of 43
Any of you who have recently sent back your SuperMacro to Xin for improvements, bass boost increase, etc.and already have the amp back:

How long were you without your amp?

Thanks for any info...

Dec 5, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Any of you who have recently sent back your SuperMacro to Xin for improvements, bass boost increase, etc.and already have the amp back: How long were you without your amp? Thanks for any info...

I sent Xin (in Cal) my SM on late Monday, I recieved my SM today (Sat. and I live in TX.) USPS Priority Shipping was used both ways. I don't know Xin's work schedule, or how many SM send backs he has in his queue along with fufilling outstanding and new orders, but USPS advertises 2-3 days duration for their Priority Mail delivery.

Sounds better now
etysmile.gif
, the bass change is audible now with my ER-4P's, but still its a subtle bass boost (Bass is not overpowering or not distorting or mudding the sound at all. I don't know how it would be on higher IEM's though.) Xin attached new Diagram stickers to illustrate how to insert the batteries inside the SM (no more red and green sticker dots inside.)

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back