Where's all the Supermacro threads?
Dec 2, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #16 of 43
I picked a helluva day to go downstairs and do wash. While down there, Express Mail stopped by, politely knocked on the door, and with no response cuz I couldn't hear, left me a note of an attempted shipment from "FENG". I missed my SuperMacro shipment!!! I was informed the truck wouldn't return with undelivered packages 'till 5:30 pm, and I work at 4:00 pm in a bar. Well, 8:30 am tommorrow, I'm all over that post office.

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
"So I emailed Xin, who replied very very quickly"

This is crazy. It's not like I'm bombarding Xin with e-mails. Since ordering my SM on 11/9, I e-mailed him ONCE to enquire about shipment date. No answer still. Then today, after reading the thread, I e-mailed him one more time, and now it's been hours. Still no answer.

ever tried emailing him using a different email address? I don't think he'd just ignore a customer for no reason.

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #19 of 43
Dec 2, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #21 of 43
All the quick response emails I've got have been to & from the support@fixup.net address.

Dec 2, 2004 at 6:06 AM Post #22 of 43
I assume Xin's extremely busy at this moment. I once talked with Xin about our concerns of waiting for the deliver time. He replied that he's taking care of the pre-released order first to make sure what they get are ones with the most updated configuration. For other orders, he's trying his best to fullfill every order but he's taking care of all these things by himself! I think he's just can not check every mail box now. Support@fixup.net might be the right one to try.

Dec 2, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #23 of 43
I am getting my supermacro (SM) bass adjusted also. I could not tell the difference either with my SuperMacro's Extra Bass Boost feature turned on and off either.

I pre-ordered my SM, it took a month to process and recieve my order,
I berly had a weekend to enjoy the amp, then I mailed my SM this past
Monday for adjustments. We are all in the same boat here. Xin improves upon
his products based on user feedback. So rest assured when you recieve your
order it should contain the latest improvements, as that is what it seems like
is going on IMO.

For those concerned, posted by XIN ...
http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=373

Xin:[OUOTE]"Upon many requests, I have increased the default bass boost amount. Amps that have serial # equal or greater than 04120101 already have this. If you already received your amp and like to increase the bass boost, you may send it back at anytime for free upgrading."[/QUOTE]

and here ...

http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=370

I didn't take notice of the serial number when I recieved my SM, (and it is not listed on the invoice reciept I recieved with my SM anyways) but I guess my SM will be taken care of by Xin. I am a first time buyer also, and turned over my savings for my SM. It is hard to be Patient, but we know that Xin is working hard to deliver and support a quality product.

Definately, If you have concerns about your SuperMacro order, let your voice be heard and post on Xin's Fixup Support Forum. His operation is what it is, and we will eventually be able to enjoy what we paid for. Or sell it, or return it and get your money back.

I suppose there aren't alot of posts from users of the SM because of all of the mentioned above that is currently going on. Once I have my rig finally set up I will post my impressions on the SM.

Dec 2, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Well, my SM was overall very professionally finished. Also, IIRC the letters were not exactly like on the website. Instead of saying "SUPERMACRO" it says "SuperMacro".

The latter spelling must be for the later versions. The first amp Xin sent me for the NYC meet was in all caps. The amp I have now has it spelled like yours. Also the "Xin" is different. On the first one I believe it was written as "XIN". This one looks more like "X!N" with the "!" up a little higher than the X and I.

I did not comment on the build quality previously. Going to the aluminum case is a big improvement over previous Xin amps. It adds a nice professional touch. However, although fully functional, I'm not completely happy with the battery compartment. It is not entirely clear as to which direction the batteries go and there are no guides or holders for each battery. They are just held in by each other so to speak and of course the back panel. I'm not really sure how to describe it but it seems different than any other battery operated item I've used.

Then of course there is the issue of the amp being so tiny that it is hard to plug everything in at once. If you have a headphone that needs a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter it will probably not fit (or at least it will be very tight as Zoide points out) when the wall wart is plugged in. I don't have the 4-switch option and it's very tight. I can only imagine what it would be like trying to operate those switches.

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen

Then of course there is the issue of the amp being so tiny that it is hard to plug everything in at once. If you have a headphone that needs a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter it will probably not fit (or at least it will be very tight as Zoide points out) when the wall wart is plugged in. I don't have the 4-switch option and it's very tight. I can only imagine what it would be like trying to operate those switches.

I just my SuperMacro, and am feelin' it in a BIG way. I did get the four switches, and it is SO cramped that I have to make the sound choices as I go, then unplug the input cable, then flick the switch, then re-plug in the input cable. This is with a right-angle 1/8" plug, time for a straight plug. Kind of a hassle, but my music is F^&%ing ALIVE!!!

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #26 of 43
Although it is a bit of a hassle, it is truly amazing how small Xin can make his amps.

One thing that I thought of is using a stylus from a PDA to operate the switches. Would that work? Maybe Xin should include that in the kit!

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Although it is a bit of a hassle, it is truly amazing how small Xin can make his amps.

One thing that I thought of is using a stylus from a PDA to operate the switches. Would that work? Maybe Xin should include that in the kit!

I did leave that out, I would not trade the size (and performance) of the SM FOR NOTHIN'!

That is funny, I just used a ball point pen to flick the switches w/o taking the input cable out...

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle b
That is funny, I just used a ball point pen to flick the switches w/o taking the input cable out...

Toothpick. Not a soiled one, however.

Dec 2, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #29 of 43
Pen: could get ink on the controls
Toothpick: maybe a bit flimsy so it might not last, but easily replaceable

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #30 of 43
My Supermacro just showed up at my doorstep today! No e-mail confirmation of any kind beforehand to notify me of shipping.

Not all is well, unfortunately. The back plate has a 3/4" long gash/scratch, which I'm going to have to return for a replacement.

Couple of tips for you guys. Before you plug in the AC adapter in a hurry without opening the battery compartment, open the battery compartment first! I found 4 little clear rubber feet inside the compartment. A nice touch.

It took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to take the circuit board out. What's confusing is there are 2 long clear plastic rods running inside the battery compartment, which tempts one to push them to try getting the board to slide out. DON'T push on these rods. They are not attached to the circuit board.

Just put your fingers inside the battery compartment and gently push the circuit board outward.

I just swapped in some OPA627BP's instead of the stock OPA134 and I have music through my Ety ER4P's.

ONE LAST IMPORTANT TIP

With my Ety's, both in 4P or 4S mode, I feel the 6dB bass boost is JUST Right. Yes, it's relatively subtle, but there still are significant boost from lower-midrange to low bass, gradually increasing. Any more than the 6dB, I feel would be too much, as even 6dB is just about to creep into and harm the midrange purity/neutrality a little. I think the old 6dB boost is very tastefully, non-intrusively done.

So if you order the 10dB new version boost, you do it at your own peril.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back