Where to start with Grado. Now where to buy?
Apr 29, 2008 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

RokabillySwagger

100+ Head-Fier
So I think I want to know the Grado sound. I love rock, people insist the Grado sound suits rock. I just want to know whether to start with the SR60, SR80, Allessandro MS-1, maybe even SR125. I just would like to know the relative advantages of each product and whether the upgrade from one model to another is worth the cost. Currently my sources will be a ****ty lappy soundcard and my Cowon D2 playing mp3's between 192kbps and 320kbps. I would prefer not to need an amp. Just tell me the best bang for the buck and the sound signature of the model.

*** Where is the best place to buy Grado's and save a little money. Headroom seems great but I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks. I think the SR80 is probably the way I will go unless the MS-1's are really better. I am just looking to save a few bucks if I can. I will buy online but would really prefer a safe, well tested retailer and I am willing to pay Headroom if they are as good as they seem to be. P.S. Anyone ever throw the GS1000 pads on 60's or 80's and is it worth 50bucks?

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 31
start with the sr 60. if you like it well you will upgrade anyways. if you dont, then you arent down too much money
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 31
I really want to know what the difference between the 60's and 80's other than pads? Same drivers? Just want to know if the 80 is worth 20 or 30 bucks more or if i could later repad and recable the 60's

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 31
I would pay the extra and go with the 80's. Last time I checked they came with actual bowl pads vs. the comfies on the 60. It's well worth the extra for the bowls.

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by RokabillySwagger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I think I want to know the Grado sound. I love rock, people insist the Grado sound suits rock. I just want to know whether to start with the SR60, SR80, Allessandro MS-1, maybe even SR125. I just would like to know the relative advantages of each product and whether the upgrade from one model to another is worth the cost. Currently my sources will be a ****ty lappy soundcard and my Cowon D2 playing mp3's between 192kbps and 320kbps. I would prefer not to need an amp. Just tell me the best bang for the buck and the sound signature of the model.

start with dt-880's

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 31
When you think about it a lot, you want to pay "a little extra" for the sr80s but I think in the end, it's not worth it. I bought the sr60s and have no regrets even though I thought I would have regrets.

IMO, there's absolutely no reason to get the sr80 over the sr60 unless you want the bowl pads especially if you just want to try Grados or if it's your first real headphones. I'm pretty sure the sr80 is the exact same thing except the cable is 4 instead of 3 (don't ask me what that means, idk either) and it has bowls. And some people don't like the bowls so yeah...and if you still want the "slightly higher end" without bowls, most people prefer the alessandro ms1.

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 31
I started with the 80's and then stepped up to the 325i and have since purchased a pair of HF-1's from another Head-Fier. IMO start with the 80's, or higher if you can afford it. I think the more you spend the better the sound.

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 31
Personal upgrade chain as far as my tastes go looks a little like this:

SR60>SR225>Alessandro MS2i>RS-1

I still feel the SR225 is the sweet spot where price/performance lies, but to be perfectly honest, given your OP, I would say SR60 is a no-lose choice and gives you the choice to upgrade to flats or bowls.

Alessandro MS2i is an extraordinary headphone, FWIW.

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #14 of 31
I have the MS1's and I'm happy with them. If I were you, I would start with the SR80's. It's under $100 and if you end up not liking the Grado sound, you can resell it and not lose out on too much.

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 31
SR-325is, if you can stand sibilance, are great headphones, and I like them better than MS2is- but harsh mids and highs are not for everyone.

SR-225s will please more people, but I personally prefer little edgier sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

You should try to listen to 325is before buying them, since majority of people can't stand them
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back