Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario_Fpolis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I sugest a different approach?

Let´s Dance is a wonderful album.

I see what you did there. Hilarious!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and I'm surprised that nobody I've seen has mentioned Bowie's last solid and viciously cynical art album, Scary Monsters. ....

Three posts above yours. Guess that makes me a 'nobody'.
frown.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #33 of 50
Interesting suggestions in here... don't really know much about Bowie. I think I'll listen to "Low" and "Hunky Dory" soon.

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

May I sugest a different approach?

Let´s Dance is a wonderful album.

Let's Dance is a wonderful album, but it's not even. It has a number of classic, really quite cutting-edge hits--which contain wonderfully acute and wry lyrics--and it has a number of tracks that are too dated. Indeed, Tonight is a great album with half an lp's worth of standout songs.

Bowie had the forethought to get Stevie Ray Vaughan to play the blues guitar solos on "Let's Dance" -- shortly before SRV+Double Trouble took off. In 1984, Bowie got Tina Turner to duet with him on "Tonight" immediately before her Private Dancer material went to the top of the charts.

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Three posts above yours. Guess that makes me a 'nobody'.
frown.gif

Terribly sorry, Signal2Noise, but I simply missed that. You rule!

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #36 of 50
I like much of the early stuff, but the two I'm crazy about are Hunky Dory and Station to Station. Also really dig the song side of Low.

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see what you did there. Hilarious!
biggrin.gif

Thanks Signal2Noise,

First time I am quoted here!!!

You made my day!!!

Since I am quoted, I think I can start to make arrangements to attend to CanJam 2010!

Catachresis, I did not even knowed ´bout SRV in Let´s Dance. I´ll love the album even more now.

Tina Turner - well, she´ll allways remind of Mad Max Beyond The Thunderdome, the worst max ever! Guess you see what I think of her.

Sorry for the hijack.

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Thanks Signal2Noise,

First time I am quoted here!!!

You made my day!!!

Since I am quoted, I think I can start to make arrangements to attend to CanJam 2010!

Catachresis, I did not even knowed ´bout SRV in Let´s Dance. I´ll love the album even more now.

Tina Turner - well, she´ll allways remind of Mad Max Beyond The Thunderdome, the worst max ever! Guess you see what I think of her.

Sorry for the hijack.

Well Mario, I hope that you enjoy your Bowie. For me anyway, Bowie has been like Steely Dan and the Beatles, in that he's produced so many great albums over the years that as I got older and my tastes shifted, I could find another Bowie album that I hadn't bought or listened to and discover that it perfectly suited whatever my current new preferences were. For me, there isn't a higher commendation for a musical artist than that his work is encompassing enough to grow with me.

I'm not a huge TT fan either--and Beyond Thunderdome does suck indeed. But remember that she has been one of the great Pop RnB stylists of the 80s, and she was probably one of the greatest and most innovative soul singers of the 60s back in her bad old Ike Turner days. So the fact that Bowie saw her coming up for a resurgence is just another indicator that he had superior pop acumen.

Something bad happened to his sensibilities around the time that he did Tonight. I still cringe at the thought of him camp-as-Christmas, playing the Goblin King in Labrynth.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory are the 2 essential Bowie albums. Then after that you can check out Low. Then Station to Station. Then Aladdin Sane. Then "Heroes". As for his other stuff, they are a bit on the "pop garbage" side, so check them only if you become a big Bowie fan.

I think this pretty much sums it up. Not much to think about when it comes to Bowie, really.

Here are the albums you should listen to in order of preference:
  1. Ziggy Stardust
  2. Hunky Dory
  3. Low
  4. Station to Station
  5. "Heroes"
  6. Aladdin Sane
  7. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)

After that, anything goes. Or maybe you can get a live album like the '72 that was mentioned.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bowie's whole approach in his musical career has been to play the chameleon. He has various persona's in his music and eras in his career. Unless you have determined which of these eras that you like and have a preference for that persona or era, I don't see how you could do anything else but start with a compilation. I have loved Bowie throughout his many "ch-ch-changes." I have seen him live seven times from the "David Live" Tower Theater concert to his "Reality Tour." (God, when I saw him do "Station To Station" (the song), and an Iggy Pop song called "Sister Midnight" live on the Station To Station-tour I felt like I had reached some kind of musical nirvana...) I personally think that the "Ziggy Stardust" (which is great) is overemphasized. I began with Bowie with the "Diamond Dogs"/"Aladdin Sane" albums and went backwards from there, and followed him from that point. I think "The Best Of Bowie" is a good overview ( David Bowie Best Of Bowie CD ) My top five studio albums, more or less in order, would probably be "Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars," (I guess, if I had to pick just one...) "Young Americans," "Diamond Dogs," "Hunky Dory", and "Outside" (his nine inch nails-influenced\Trent Reznor collaboration). "Let's Dance" is a very underrated album, and "Pin-Ups" his collection of covers, is an awesome album as well. (Both "David Live," and "Stage" are great live albums...) I didn't get into the instrumental stuff on "Low" or "Heroes" (though I absolutely love the song "Heroes"...) I know that there are many Bowie fans that consider that stuff among his best. It's all about WHICH Bowie you like...good luck!
cool.gif

Well said Deleewebb
Never too late to enjoy the David Bowie Ride.I am a Bowie fan and enjoy his music every day.Have been listening from the early 70s and sometime use his album release year to remember what I was doing at the time.With todays torrents you can down load his whole collection in no time .Go through his different musical changes and follow up by buying your favorites in remastered or SACD format.I am bios but would start my list with!!!!
David Bowie (1967)
David Bowie/Space Oddity (1969)
The Man Who Sold The World (1970)
Hunky Dory (1971)
Ziggy Stardust (1972)
Aladdin Sane (1973)
Pin Ups (1973)
Diamond Dogs (1974)
David Live (1974)
Young Americans (1975)
Station To Station (1976)
Low (1977)
"Heroes" (1977)
Stage (1978)
Lodger (1979)
Scary Monsters (1980)
Let's Dance (1983)
Ziggy Stardust - The Motion Picture (1983)
Tonight (1984)
Never Let Me Down (1987)
Tin Machine (1989)
Tin Machine II (1991)
Oy Vey, Baby (1992)
Black Tie White Noise (1993)
The Buddha Of Suburbia (1993)
Santa Monica '72 (1994)
Live 1972 (1994)
Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (1995)
1. Outside (1996)
Earthling (1997)
hours... (1999)
Toy (originally scheduled for 2001)
Heathen (2002)
Reality (2003)

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #41 of 50
Start at the beginning with Space Oddity! That's what I do...go in order to see how an artist changes over time...but if I had to choose 2 other albums, I'd say Ziggy Stardust or Hunky Dory.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #44 of 50
Ziggy and Scary Monsters are two of my faves. I have the original Ziggy pressing in vinyl (I bought it new
redface.gif
), which is remarkably good. I also picked up the anniversary CD reissue when it was released. It's very interesting, but I like the vinyl better.

It really best a good bit below maximum volume, though.

Let's Dance is also a great album, but I like that one mainly for the SRV aspect.

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #45 of 50
another huge vote for Hunky Dory, here. but you won't go wrong with Ziggy either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back