Where to start with David Bowie?
Jul 17, 2009 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I feel like I am missing out on something important by not really listening to Bowie. I have really enjoyed the songs I have heard here and there, but for some reason, that enjoyment has never manifested itself into a "buy an album and listen to it" reaction. Because of this, I am taking a harder line and forcing myself to start somewhere. The question is: What album to start with?

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 50
I like ZIGGY STARDUST as a neat (to me) concept album. The song Let's Dance is pretty accessible, great guitar work from Stevie Ray Vaughn. If I could only own one Bowie album I would probably chose ZIGGY.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 50
Any particular mastering that I should look for? Is the current CD heavily compressed or a victim of the loudness war?

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 50
Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory are the 2 essential Bowie albums. Then after that you can check out Low. Then Station to Station. Then Aladdin Sane. Then "Heroes". As for his other stuff, they are a bit on the "pop garbage" side, so check them only if you become a big Bowie fan.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 50
I say get the Changes compilation album. That has all of his most accessible "hits" on it, you can hear how he progressed through different periods, and then you can branch out from there depending on what you like.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 50
I have Ziggy Stardust on vinyl and CD (neither are special versions, the CD is an old RCA) and neither sound compressed or victimized by the loudness wars.

The current CD release is on another label (non-RCA) which I haven't heard.

I think that there is an MFSL version but I am not sure. Good luck!

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say get the Changes compilation album. That has all of his most accessible "hits" on it, you can hear how he progressed through different periods, and then you can branch out from there depending on what you like.

Thanks for the info, but I have never been into compilations. I am strictly an album guy, and I am not too worried about accessible. I usually give things 5 or so listens before I decide anything.

Thanks, whaleyboy.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info, but I have never been into compilations. I am strictly an album guy, and I am not too worried about accessible. I usually give things 5 or so listens before I decide anything.

Thanks, whaleyboy.

"Don't do compilations," lol. It was good enough for Bowie, I think you can live with it.
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Live Santa Monica '72 - technically not a compilation album
wink.gif

Did he play songs from just one album? Then it is a compilation!
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Don't do compilations," lol. It was good enough for Bowie, I think you can live with it.
tongue.gif

That may be, but I just enjoy standalone albums much more than anything else.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That may be, but I just enjoy standalone albums much more than anything else.

No problem, I was just kidding around.
wink.gif
You should definitely start with Ziggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back