Where to start for home audio?
Oct 7, 2009 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jwalsh1

Head-Fier
Im looking to build a home audio system primarily for listening to music, but have no idea where to start. Does anyone have a suggestion? Forums similar to this one but home audio?

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 9
Are you looking for a two channel system or home theater?

You can find a handful of speaker nuts here, but also check Audio Karma, the DIY Forums at Pass Labs, the Steve Hoffman Forum, and the Stereophile Forums.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 9
Oct 7, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 9
Thats awesome, thanks for the links it'll get me going.

Re: 2 channel or home theater...Im still deciding. Im leaning toward a 7.1 system switchable to 2 ch and concentrating on good speakers and sub for a 2ch setup. That way at least the system is flexible.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 9
Get a vintage receiver and some speakers that are appropriate for your room. I'm no expert but that's what I'd do. I have a couple older receivers that sound quite nice (got each for under $15). Make sure they're healthy before buying though. You may want to measure DC offset.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 9
jwalsh1

it depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it
wink.gif

I mean, if you plan to also play your digital files on your portable player, you might think about a dock; if they are on your hard disk you might want a Squeezebox.

As with others here, a cheap way of getting good sound is buying used - (audiogon, ebay or craigslist) stereo integrated amplifiers are practically indestructible and what sounded good years ago will probably still sound just as good. Same goes for speakers. Its only the CD player you will need a relatively new one

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 9
I would definetly recommened for your sub to look into any of the Rel subs. They are my personal fav, i am looking at a t-3 for my next upgrade. But they are very good subs, and they sepecialize in music. They have a seperate LFE connection, and a music connection that requires a different cable that comes with the sub. But it connects to the sub and the other end connection the the L & R speaker teminals, this way it when playing music it can just blend it with your speakers.

Honestly about the 7.1, i would just conncentrate on a 5.1 to start. 2 less speakers to buy at the start, really donesnt make that big of different (espicially if the room doesnt really allow it). Highly reccomend looking into any Pioneer, especially the Elite brand if you can, very good recievers and top notch quality.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 9
if you're on a budget and want quality sound go for the fronts first then work on getting the surrounds and sub...

for the fronts go for quality but at the same time it's a good idea to buy your center channel at the same time same product line is best same manufacturer is a must

surrounds are a little less important on matching to the manufacturer but i can't think of many people who have mixed manufacturers for their fronts and surrounds

the sub can be from any manufacturer and you should go with the best sub you can afford when you buy one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back