Where to recable headphones in the UK?
Dec 19, 2007 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LuciferBox

New Head-Fier
I have had some Grado SR-80's for a couple of months now and want to replace the stock cable with something nicer. However, as a student I have very little free time on my hands and perhaps more essentially none of the skills or tools required to do the job myself.

Therefore I am looking for somewhere in the UK (near Chester where I currently am or Bournemouth), preferably a brick and mortar store/shop/workshop, where I can take my 'phones to be recabled. I have looked all over the forums and not found anything particularly useful and any directions on this would be helpful.

P.S. I would also be willing to send my 'phones off to a reputable web dealer if this is my only option, any good recommendations from you guys would be helpful.

Many Thanks

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 4
I imagine you will be fairly unlikely to find someone in the UK to re-cable your SR80s. Grados are stuck together with hot melt glue so it is quite a tricky job to get them apart without some risk of doing them harm. It is really more of a DIY exercise for intrepid owners and experimenters. There is along thread on this subject which might be worth looking out. Also have a look at the Headphile site, he does all sorts of things to Grados. Unfortunately though with a relatively modest headphone such as the SR80 (no offence) the likely cost of having someone fit new (and better?) cables to them would probably be more than their original cost - and frankly be of questionable value anyway.

Sorry if I am negative, perhaps others may be of more help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back