Where to purchase silver cable...
Mar 31, 2012 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Johnnyhi

100+ Head-Fier
Where do you buy your silver cable from and where have you found the best... 
i will be doing a couple of projects and need some 22, 24 awg pure silver cable.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 18
Is the silver-plated copper cable good, i see that some of my speakers have them and others have copper i'm trying to get some good cables that doesn't affect the sound.

thanks.

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 18
THE TRUTH ABOUT DIFFERENT SPEAKER CABLES
http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_marco.htm

Read it and save your hard earned cash .
Like copper isn't expensive enough ...

Good enough for the pros, good enough for me :
http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/speaker_cable/

Also good enough for many of the 'Audiophile super-cable' snakes .. 
They buy the wire from Mogami, or one of the other few manufacturers who have invested
heavily in the necessary equipment to make wire, put it in some fancy-coloured braided sleeve and call it 'a speaker-cable'  ..
It's copper-wire for crying out loud !!

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 18
One side question, a bit OT:ish etc. But have you ever wondered why high-end headphones don't come supplied with expensive cables?

Sennheiser HD-800: "Specially tuned symmetrical, impedance matching cable with low capacitance"

If it's specially tuned at their factory+labs, that means your gonna F up your headphones using another cable!!

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
If it's specially tuned at their factory+labs, that means your gonna F up your headphones using another cable!!

That's assuming cables can actually have such a variable impact. In theory (and practice, I assume) a good enough cable will deliver the signal as well as any cable above that. With a certain width and purity, there's a treshold of quality above which it becomes an accesory.

More, cables aren't equalizers. You can have cables that sound bad from being well below that treshold, but they all sound bad in the same way, not in weird parallel ones, so all bad cables should soung alike in various degrees of bad, instead of one being overly bright and another being too warm (I mean bad in an objective way, obviously people can love that 'bad' cable).

So I'd say using a cable as good or better will be the same for the HD800, considering that their cable already doesn't suck. This is all speculation by the way, and you're free to dismiss it as such.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Here http://www.homegrownaudio.com/products/22-AWG-Silver-Wire-%252d-Teflon-Dielectric.html .

Whoa that's insane.  Only $8 a foot for 99.997% silver?  If I had a headphone that would benefit from that, I would do it right now.

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:

Whoa that's insane.  Only $8 a foot for 99.997% silver?  If I had a headphone that would benefit from that, I would do it right now.

Not sure if you're being facetious or not :wink: You have to run 4 runs of that wire for a headphone. So a 10 foot headphone cable, after losing a foot or so with a tight braid, would be a mere $352 for just the wire. I've wired up a Beyer DT880, AKG K702 and a couple of others with pure silver, but that was with short cables or back when silver was way cheaper. Nowadays you've gotta have deep pockets, or just really enjoy eating ramen three times a day :D

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 18
Trying not to do any thread hijacking here, but say I have some single entry headphones lying around like the ones in the picture. If I were to replace the main run of wire that goes to the headphones (and not the wire that runs from driver to driver) would I get any sonic benefits, or would the cable going from driver to driver negate this?

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
Trying not to do any thread hijacking here, but say I have some single entry headphones lying around like the ones in the picture. If I were to replace the main run of wire that goes to the headphones (and not the wire that runs from driver to driver) would I get any sonic benefits, or would the cable going from driver to driver negate this?

Dude, simply: just forget the whole thing. The driver itself sucks so bad in the entry level headphones, that the difference between cables is so minor you can't hear it.

The only benefit from silver cable is good looks.

Headzone has spoken.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 18
Haha well I wouldn't buy silver anyway (price to performance ratio in this case would be...not good). I was just going for a bit more durability and better looks with this particular cable. If any sound benefits existed then I'd be more willing to try it on my other cans.

Quote:

Dude, simply: just forget the whole thing. The driver itself sucks so bad in the entry level headphones, that the difference between cables is so minor you can't hear it.

The only benefit from silver cable is good looks.

Headzone has spoken.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Haha well I wouldn't buy silver anyway (price to performance ratio in this case would be...not good). I was just going for a bit more durability and better looks with this particular cable. If any sound benefits existed then I'd be more willing to try it on my other cans.

Durability? Are you going to wear your headphones in WW3? The looks you can make better with a better looking sleeving.

Just upgrade your transducers. If you already have the Sennheiser HD-800's, then get some better music, or a low-impedance powerful flat frequency response amplifier with low distortion to drive them.

Headzone has spoken.

May 1, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:

I doubt you would hear a difference, but it can look better. I'm not sure what you should use. I think Mogami w2893 is still too bulky for those, so maybe w2534 without the insulation and shielding. then sleeved with nylon multifilament. It's probably not that hard to replace the wire going from one transducer to the other as well, but that I can't promise you.

May 2, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Not sure if you're being facetious or not :wink: You have to run 4 runs of that wire for a headphone. So a 10 foot headphone cable, after losing a foot or so with a tight braid, would be a mere $352 for just the wire. I've wired up a Beyer DT880, AKG K702 and a couple of others with pure silver, but that was with short cables or back when silver was way cheaper. Nowadays you've gotta have deep pockets, or just really enjoy eating ramen three times a day :D

They do have the hybrid braid, silver and copper. I was thinking of using it, silver to the HP and copper for ground, costs less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back