Where to next
May 26, 2010 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

snip

Head-Fier
Hi,

So I got my HD600's back on 1st of April when Play had that sale.

I feel they are broken in now and comparing them to my HD590's on my AudioTailor Jade and my various home made amps (mostly hybrid designs) I can safely say that they have 'more sparkle' 'higher resolution' and 'wider soundstage' but I still think the Bass is nicer on the 590's, not as precise and fast as on the 600's but I feel it is deeper and richer.

So since I am a bit of a bass head, where do I go next to get the same or better nice 'sparkle' and 'resolution' or whatever you wish to call it as the 600's but deeper and richer bass?

Since I would really like a closed cup set of cans to use at work it would be a bonus if this could be the same set, the model I am eying up at the moment for work use (with a hybrid, ECC82, FET output stage jobbie with nice caps and resistors) is the Beyerdynamic 770 in the 250 ohm incarnation.

I'm open to spending up to £300 on my next 'fix'

I welcome your input.

//Jan

May 28, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 17
No ideas yet?

Ok, I've been thinking about it, and I think what I want next is not so much to go 'further' or 'higher' than the HD600, I'm pretty happy with that as it is, but one thing I would like to have is a set of cans that can deliver bass pressure that rattles the fillings out of your teeth, I say your teeth because I don't have any fillings, (nor am I trying to imply that you have) but you get the idea, proper skull shaking bass, but hopefully without sounding naff. Not an easy request is it?

So question is, where do I get that? I see the Ultrasone Pro series (550 and 650) is on sale at play right now, but how about the DT-770 what's that like? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here for my bass fix?

Please do give me some pointers..

//Jan 

May 28, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 17
Depending how much you'd miss the mids, the Beyer DT-990 Pro might really impress you.  The midrange is a bit sucked out, and they are bright phones (as opposed to the Senn tendency to warmth), but they are very sparkly and deliver a nice meaty kick of bass.  If you choose to go the 770 route instead, make sure you go PRO not the new version, because they are more balanced now and are no longer bass monsters.

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 17
Ok, thank you very much for your input, I notice that the 990 is an open design so it would not meet the requirement for use at work.

But I might just rip the stops out and get both that and the 770 :)

And yes I was always going to get the Pro version, I can't help it, when something says 'pro' on it I will always choose that over an alternative product.

How much more skull molesting does the 990 offer over the 770?

//Jan

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 17
I love the HD600, but it did not have enough in the way of good detailed highs.
I have the DT770... but probably not for long as my set has no bass. The highs are brilliant! But these are the 600 ohm version, not the Pro. I had the DT770 in the 250 ohm version and they also had no bass and wretched, harsh, shrill highs.

The D5000 has getter highs than the HD600, but retains the rich, lush tonality.
The D5000 has massive bass. OMG! It's actually too much for me. More than my M50's!

I'm actually looking for something between the two (DT770 and D5000), but If I had to keep one of these two... it would be the D5000. Everything (but the exaggerated bass) sounds very right.
The DT770/600 is good for ultra detail and soundstage in a closed can. The D5000 has a closer soundstage, but still pretty good.

I thought about getting the DT990, but I already have the DT880/600 (excellent!), and they are open. Sounds like it doesn't matter to you. (EDIT: never mind, I just re-read your other post...)

shane

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 17
ya, after purchasing and listening to my D5000's...I kind of want to sell my HD600's.

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 17
yeah...the D5000 are monsters alright, and a great pleasure for any hardcore basshead.  but they do not isolate very well relatively for a closed can.  the M50 are still fun and bassheavy and isolate better,but still not close to 100%.  but like shane said,the D5000 have the more sparkling highs..which is the reason i prefer them for classical music,they make the violins livelier and more vivid.

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 17
Hmm, ok so the Denon AHD5000 is the bomb eh?

It's quite expensive too, £130 more than a DT-770 Pro,250 and a DT-990. It looks nice but I'm not sure how I'd get on with those pleather ear pads.

Ooh decisions decisions.

This is the bane of living in the boondocks and buying everything online, if only I could take one of my amps to a store and try out each one before I buy.

//Jan

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Hmm, ok so the Denon AHD5000 is the bomb eh?

It's quite expensive too, £130 more than a DT-770 Pro,250 and a DT-990. It looks nice but I'm not sure how I'd get on with those pleather ear pads.

Ooh decisions decisions.

This is the bane of living in the boondocks and buying everything online, if only I could take one of my amps to a store and try out each one before I buy.

//Jan

if you like bass you will like the denons very much.  you can opt for the D2000 which is also very good and costs much less than the 5000 model.  both the D2000 and D5000 share the same driver to be exact,so don't worry about getting low grade can
wink_face.gif

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 17
Hmm, so the difference is pretty much the casing being made of wood on the 5000 and plastic on the 2000 then?

Interesting. How much of a difference does this make to the sound? From a purely practical perspective I can see it making the difference that I'd be scared of scratching the wood all the time, as I don't exactly have glass heads standing around for my cans everywhere and my living space is pretty much a giant mess loosely resembling an electronics workshop.

//Jan

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
Hmm, so the difference is pretty much the casing being made of wood on the 5000 and plastic on the 2000 then?

Interesting. How much of a difference does this make to the sound? From a purely practical perspective I can see it making the difference that I'd be scared of scratching the wood all the time, as I don't exactly have glass heads standing around for my cans everywhere and my living space is pretty much a giant mess loosely resembling an electronics workshop.

//Jan

yep..the wood cups are the main difference between the two,also the cable suppsed to be slightly better but i don't know exactly if there is a difference soundwise.  let's see what others will say about this.   the woodcups make the D5000 sound a little warmer,tubier vs the D2000 which should be more livelier and farward, but only slightly.  again..this only based on reading reviews on them,never heard the D2000 myself,i went straight ahead for the D5000.  don't get this wrong..the D2000 supposed to have the same head shacking bass as the D5000. a lot of head fiers have the D2000 and are very satisfied with them.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 17
i am told that the DT990-600 with the gel pads are much better than the d5k's in terms of bass.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
i am told that the DT990-600 with the gel pads are much better than the d5k's in terms of bass.

the DT990 is an open headphone,it can never reach the bass quantity of any of the denon line...even not close!    better..?  again,we are talking about two different beasts here so
it is a matter of taste.   we can't say that the DT990 bass is better if it can't reach the D5000 quantities.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #14 of 17
The HD600 were my first headphones and still kindle fond memories, but when I first a/b-ed them against the AH-D2000, I realized how much high end "sparkle" and resolution I was missing--as well as bass authority and midrange clarity.  After selling the HD600 at that point, I have never looked back.  After moving from the AH-D2000 to the AH-D5000, I had even less reason to look back.  

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
The HD600 were my first headphones and still kindle fond memories, but when I first a/b-ed them against the AH-D2000, I realized how much high end "sparkle" and resolution I was missing--as well as bass authority and midrange clarity.  After selling the HD600 at that point, I have never looked back.  After moving from the AH-D2000 to the AH-D5000, I had even less reason to look back.  

pataburd,so you felt that the upgrade from D2000 to D5000 was worth it?  what exactly did you like about the D5000 more than the D2000 if i may ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back