Where to go next?
Nov 4, 2006 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Lobotomy

Head-Fier
I'm currently using the Panasonic HJE-70's and the Audio Technica ATH-ES7's.

I'm wondering what headphone I should get next. I listen to Mainly Rock, Punk, and a bit of Reggae. Bands like The Stranglers, The Who, Blur, and the Clash.

Would a pair of ATK 501's work good for this type of music? I've heard they're used for Jazz, and Classical. And would they make much of a difference over what I've got now?

Any help would be great, and Headphone suggestions around the $100-150 price range.

Nov 4, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 3
The cans that really put my wallet in geopardy and got me started on this deadly downward spiral are the $99 Alessandro MS-1s. They do all kinds of rock beautifully and can even ease on over into the jazz and lighter classical side of things. But they excell at rock.

They are Grado manufactured phones which are a bit more neutral than the average Grado, so perhaps for the more exciting and agressive forms of rock the Grado SR-60 through SR-125(or used SR-225)may be another viable consideration.

Nov 5, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 3
The AKG K-501 does alright with rock and punk, but it may not be what you're looking for. Like the above post, try a pair of Alessandro MS-1s or maybe the Grado RS-60 or RS-80 if you want to spend about $100. They should have the sound you're looking for.

I don't know if they'd be an improvement over your cans, since I haven't heard either before. But I can say that the Grado sound does well with those genres. I was particularly impressed by the SR-60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back