Where to go next? (From a D2k to HD650, DT 880, K701?)
Nov 24, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not more than the DT 880.
smile.gif

Woohoo! tough competition! I agree with MarcedonianHero on harshness goes away as burn in with DT880/600ohm, but never completely away and will never be!, I think
very_evil_smiley.gif
.As for K701, I always thought of cymbals being somewhat hot at the minor irritation level. But mine was probably not fully burned in as ppl claim 200+ burn in.

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly don't think the three headphones being considered by the OP are much of an upgrade to the D2000. If you're going to upgrade, save up for a big upgrade (wait till you can afford to buy something in D7000 or HD 800 territory)

I'm not necessarily looking for something clearly superior so much as different. I mean, there's this whole gigantic world of headphones with very different signatures, and different strengths, and I want to hear what's out there.

I definitely plan on picking up some D7000s when I have the money -- my current job is winding down (I work on political campaigns, mostly, so my employment is often temporary, and my large purchases, headphone or otherwise, come in waves with each campaign), so I'll be waiting until I move onto the next thing before picking up anything in the $700-$1400 range.

Plus, once I'm getting up there, I'll probably want to look into better sources and amps.

I'm also thinking about grabbing some wood cups for the D2ks from Lawton Audio at some point. Not planning on doing the Markl mod though, because I enjoy the D2k's bass response just fine. Never sounds muddy or boomy to me, and I don't feel that confident as a DIYer.

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #33 of 39
I have had D2000/7000, SA5000, K701, DT880, HD600 and currently have HD650. With right equipment, all these shouldn't be grainy or sibilance with piercing highs. However, some of these cans are definitely brighter than others. For example, I couldn't stand K701 because it was too bright for my ears, whereas I was okay with DT880 and SA5000 (both are known for bright presentation). I also thought that these two were better than K701. All three cans have clarity, speed and detail you are looking for I believe. But if you are really looking for smooth high, I would definitely go with HD600 with aftermarket cable (I think if you get used, they will be under your budget) or go with stock cable first and upgrade later. Some people say HD600/650 are not fast and detailed but with right amp and cable, I think they are in (or above to me) class of other cans mentioned above.

But end the end, all these cans are great and it really comes down to your personal preference.

Nov 24, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #34 of 39
This is more proof that we all hear differently. I owned the DT880s and think that the K701s are a much better headphone (when properly burned in and sufficient amp'ing).

To me they just do everything better.

Nov 24, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had D2000/7000, SA5000, K701, DT880, HD600 and currently have HD650. With right equipment, all these shouldn't be grainy or sibilance with piercing highs.

I think it's important to remember individual hearing with this. High-frequency hearing loss is the most common age-associated type of hearing loss. My dad never hears sibilance, even on songs where it drives me crazy (on the same cans, naturally).

From comparing what I hear to what others do, I've come to think I'm particularly sensitive to sibilance. Hopefully this goes away with age, but to say that the Denons "shouldn't" be sibilant is a bit silly unless you discount the unique interaction between headphones and the wearer's physiology and psychology.

Quote:

However, some of these cans are definitely brighter than others. For example, I couldn't stand K701 because it was too bright for my ears, whereas I was okay with DT880 and SA5000 (both are known for bright presentation). I also thought that these two were better than K701. All three cans have clarity, speed and detail you are looking for I believe. But if you are really looking for smooth high, I would definitely go with HD600 with aftermarket cable (I think if you get used, they will be under your budget) or go with stock cable first and upgrade later. Some people say HD600/650 are not fast and detailed but with right amp and cable, I think they are in (or above to me) class of other cans mentioned above.

Yeah, I'm definitely sure I want to get to know the 600s/650s better, it's only a matter of when. Hopefully when I'm back home I can go audition some cans and make a more informed decision on where to go in the long run.

Quote:

But end the end, all these cans are great and it really comes down to your personal preference.

Heh, this definitely seems to be something often forgotten on head-fi. What to most people would probably amount to fairly small differences (between, say, the 600s and the 650s) can be treated here like a yawning chasm between sonic perfection and what might as well be iBuds.

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #36 of 39
well...just go ahead and try the HD650 or 600. if you won't like them, just sell them. it sounds to me, like the senns are the most logical decision because you will difinitely get the other,open, sound experience you want and still keep the little bit of fun to the sound..especially with the so called "bass heavy" HD650 by some. (they really was the opposite for me, but after more than a year of listening to the D5000 what can you expect
bigsmile_face.gif
)
I also went in this road, and got the HD650 for different sound experience.

with the headroom rig you don't have to worry about power that's for sure..and you will get enough high tones IMO. the headroom is a really SS sounding gear.

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by backwardsname /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm. That thread has pretty much ruled out the DT 880s for me. Sibilance is something I definitely know I want to rule out for my next pair of cans. It's not that it's always a make-or-break attribute for me, but like I said, I already have that issue with the D2000s and I find I'm pretty sensitive to it (other people who use my cans often say they don't hear it at all on tracks where I find it quite distracting and even potentially painful).

I'm hoping to find something smooth, definitely.

However after more time with the DT880 / 600 paired up with different sources, I feel this is much more due to synergy reasons than the DT880 itself. I'll edit that first impression to reflect that. Also in another thread, I feel if a headphone can portray sibilance, it's actually a good thing as it's portraying what's inheritly in the recording to start with.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sib...-blame-431180/

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However after more time with the DT880 / 600 paired up with different sources, I feel this is much more due to synergy reasons than the DT880 itself. I'll edit that first impression to reflect that. Also in another thread, I feel if a headphone can portray sibilance, it's actually a good thing as it's portraying what's inheritly in the recording to start with.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sib...-blame-431180/

I'd actually prefer to have it damped, even if that means not staying as faithful to the recording. At the end of the day, why would I want accuracy if it's causing me pain?

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #39 of 39
Here's a little summary of each headphone you've mentioned, based on my opinions of course.

HD650: Irritating bass, and I mean very irritating. Veiled, dark sound, but overall good cans.
HD600: Brighter versions of the HD650 (didn't listen to these long, so not too much to say about them)
DT880: All I can say is if you find D2K sibilant, these are not for you.
K701: Very nice cans when burnt in, however they too can be fairly sibilant, although not nearly as bad as DT880 or D2K.

Based off of what I've read in your posts, you don't like sibilance or a veiled sound (veiled sound on your D2Ks was the reason you upgraded the amp/dac if I remember correctly?). In that case, none of these cans are really for you. Senns have a notoriously veiled sound, DT880s are brutally sibilant if you're sensitive to it, and K701s are somewhat sibilant but not everyone feels that way.

K701 is probably going to be your best option though, not everyone thinks they're sibilant and they certainly aren't veiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back