where to go from um2 (non-custom)
Dec 11, 2005 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Angaria

100+ Head-Fier
I've trickled up from very low end buds through some decent full-sized cans to higher end IEMs from Shure, super.fi etc. At the moment the UM2's fit inside my hat and sound really really good... but that of course never stopped anyone here from dreaming.

Given that the E5 uses the same drivers, is there really anywhere to go from here that is non-custom? I'd rather not invest in something with essentially no resale value.

Dec 11, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 18
Have you tried the E4's yet? They are very neutral, snappy, fun and detailed! I know there is a UM-3 out there, but I'm not sure if that's already custom...

Dec 11, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 18
actually no, there is no UM3, the next step is the Elite Series (ES) from westone and those are custom
i havent heard the muvo as a source thru any pair of phones so i wouldnt know, but i would think, apart from the super.fi pro (which i see you have) that you're at the pinnacle of universal IEMs, just a guess though
btw, what kinda music are you into?

cheers

Dec 11, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by atart
actually no, there is no UM3, the next step is the Elite Series (ES) from westone and those are custom
i havent heard the muvo as a source thru any pair of phones so i wouldnt know, but i would think, apart from the super.fi pro (which i see you have) that you're at the pinnacle of universal IEMs, just a guess though
btw, what kinda music are you into?

cheers

I must have been thinking about the ES-3's. Oops!

ON a side note, although the super fi's are spectacular in their own right, they can't be considered the pinnacle of non-custom IEM's simply b/c their highs are quite tame. They also aren't a really balanced IEM. I got the E4's b/c of their balanced sound, but even they have recessed highs...

I'm afraid the only choice left in IEM's may be customs... in which case you have UE-5 through UE-10's, sensaphonics and ES' phones...

Dec 11, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 18
Etymotic ER4, 'nough said
etysmile.gif

Dec 11, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angaria
Given that the E5 uses the same drivers, is there really anywhere to go from here that is non-custom? I'd rather not invest in something with essentially no resale value.

Yeh! I would get an E5c. They don't use the same drivers, and don't sound alike, despite what others say! The UM2's have a heavier bass, as opposed to the more controled, and tighter bass of the E5c's. I find the highs better to, with better detail. I had them both, and the E5c's are more musical, and just plain easier to listen to.

Dec 11, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 18
I'm pretty sure they do use the same drivers.
Based on reviews here and other places on the web, it appears more users prefer the UM2 than the E5c. so I from this point on, you can only side-grade. That is, until you goto customs.

Dec 11, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 18
Thanks for the advice y'all - looks like I'm faced with a side-grade in the non-custom world.

I had thought about upgrading my source (since the um2's don't really need an amp). The muvo2 is relativly rare I guess - but sounds identical to my brother's zen extra if that's a better point of reference.

Dec 11, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 18
Try the Etymotic ER-4P. You may find it lacking bass, but if your source has a decent bass boost or customizable equalizer, you may find their bass to be more than adequate. Ety detail and treble is simply amazing. Coming from the UM2s you'll probably be in shock.

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Yeh! I would get an E5c. They don't use the same drivers, and don't sound alike, despite what others say!

Ummm .. yeah they do use the same drivers. We designed them, they are the same drivers.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angaria
I've trickled up from very low end buds through some decent full-sized cans to higher end IEMs from Shure, super.fi etc. At the moment the UM2's fit inside my hat and sound really really good... but that of course never stopped anyone here from dreaming.

Someone else asked what kind of music you listen to. This is actually a significant issue, as your next "lateral move" within the world of IEM's may involve optimizing your listening experience depending upon what kind of music you feel like enjoying. I have long owned Etymotics (both ER-4S and ER-4P), and I think these are terrific earphones, as others have said. But I came to realize that for some kinds of music I'm a kind of a "basshead," and in this regard the ER's just don't cut it, not matter how good your "seal" is.

I went ahead and bought some Westone UM-2's, and for electronic music, rock, drum 'n bass, etc., these are terrific. The bass!! But it's obvious that there is a slight lack of detail in vocals and in higher-pitched instrumental sounds when compared to the Ety's. So for jazz, classical, and much vocal-dominated music I still bring out the Etymotics.

I have no personal experience with the UE-10's, but I gather that these are the best of the best, and of course, the price reflects this.

Dec 15, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23
Ummm .. yeah they do use the same drivers. We designed them, they are the same drivers.
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, no disrespect, they are great IEM's, I had a pair, but Ummm .. why do the UM2's have a hevier bass slam then the E5c's?
confused.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23
It's all in the crossover point. Shure changed the crossover point for the E5. They also use different acoustic filters. Amazing what those little buggers will do for sound.

So, who made this IEM to begin with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back