Where to go from the HF-2? ($1200 budget)
Oct 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #16 of 33

Quote:
Guys, no top tier stuff. HD-800 and LCD-2 are a "no". I loved the HD-800 but I can't drop a grand on just the headphones. As for the LCD-2, I didn't enjoy it that much at the last meet. It was good but the lack of soundstage was criminal for $1000, I thought. 
The only TOTL can I'm sorta looking at is the T1 because a lot of reviews seem to prefer them to be all arounders as opposed the the HD800's analytical. But even so I am still a student and have future expenses to look forward to so I don't want to blow everything on this last hurrah.

Will the HF-2 scale well with a better amp? Would I be better off trading down to an HD650 or K702 and getting something beefy like a Burson HA-160 or Woo6?

personally, i went back to the T1 and will be sticking with them and the hd650.  ive tried the lcd2, hd800 (which i really liked but prefer the all around-ness of the t1), hf2, gs1000, and a collection of other headphones.  in the end, it wasnt what other ppl thought about the t1, its what i thought about it.   
ive also said that if i hadnt purchased the t1, i would be happy with the hd650.  thats with my setup though.  its different for everyone since they like different things.  

either way, youll always wonder. purchase used on the forum try it, and resell it for minimal loss.  

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #17 of 33
well, the HF2 is no slouch. it’s a solid phone so if you’re not willing to go for top tier headphones then you’ll just be taking (expensive) sidesteps into different sound signatures in the same tier as the HF2. some might have better soundstage or less aggressive highs but you won’t get blown away by anything, imo.

you might be better off getting those HD650s or AKG 701s from a place where you can return them and trying them out on your current amp to see if you prefer them to the grado. if you don’t then you can cross them off your list or if you do like them more than the HF2, you’ll have a better sense of what you want your upgrade to sound like.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #18 of 33

Quote:
I am asking for amp suggestions too!

Mapletree Audio Designs Ear+ HD works really well with Grados. Has both low and high impedance outputs, so should work well with others too.  $620 for a kit or $700 assembled by Dr. Peppard himself, even less if you can find one used. I have not heard the LD but have read that the Ear+ is a worthwhile improvement over the LD. I have the Ear+ and think it is a great amp.

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #19 of 33
The HF2 scales up with the WA6 and the Burson HA-160 but not more (IE no 1000+ dollars amps for it). I know I have two of them, do as I say not as I do. :) The WA6 is the optimum amplifier for the HF2 IMO.

For heaven's sake don't get a used HD800, that would be the absolute worst thing you could get. In fact, don't get the HD800 if you're not ready to make it part of a 4-5000$ system AND you like audiophile type music more than modern music.
Yes the T1 is a better all-rounder, if it didn't have that damn 8kHz spike it would be a monster.

From the TOTL group, I personally feel the LCD2 is unique because is the only headphone that does bass under 50Hz properly, and it has a sound signature that doesn't offend anyone (30min is not enough to judge a dark headphone).

If you want to scale down, get a HD600 with a solid state amplifier (Headroom, Meier, Burson or a DT880-600 with a tube amplifier (WA2 or another good OTL, get one that you can roll a lot of cheap tubes in and it's famous for PRAT and dynamics - the WA2 is not) . But be warned, you'll lose the open sound of Grados with both of those. Actually, you'll lose it with almost any headphone except Grados (the CD3000, the AD2000 and probably the LCD2 being the exceptions).

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #22 of 33

Quote:
So my best bet is to get a WA6 and use my HF-2 until I can get a TOTL headphone?

The HF-2 is a really nice headphone... even if you plan on buying a flagship model in the future, you may seriously consider keeping your Grados for their unique sound. Pairing them with a good soundstage can would set you up well for 99% of the recordings out there.

If you think a something like a T1 or HD800 is in your future, then I'd consider the WA3 along with the WA6. The 3 is a little smoother and more musical than the 6 (and also better for high impedance cans), while the 6 is more dynamic and faster than the 3. Were you to do something like a DT800/600 and WA3 in the short term, you might find that you don't need to upgrade any further... and if you did take the next step, a T1/WA3 combo would be very nice as well.

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #23 of 33
Hi Alex,

I think the Senn HD600 and the M^3 amp is a extremely nice combo. I heard it at the meet Frank I and I threw earlier this year. Get a decent DAC like the DLIII with the balance and you have an excellent rig.

The good thing about the HD600 is it works with so many genres. Maybe it doesn't have the ultimate booming bass for hip hop or dub but it does acquit itself well with other genres like rock and jazz. IMHO it's as close to the HD800 as you can get inside a budget.

The M^3 is like a mini beta22. I spent a few weeks with the M^3 and it's an excellent amp.

I doubt anyone could say the HD600 > M^3 > DLIII would be a mistake.

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #24 of 33
try adding a solidstate amp to your LDmk3...
i use my Lmk3 tat way, as a pre-amp, hooked to my concerto.,
there is more body, punch and weight to the airy presentation of the LD.
And i have a copper interconnect from LAT, 
that might tone down the brightness u are getting in your grado.

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #26 of 33
I'm curious as to what the HF2s are like balanced... Do you mind telling me where you're at in Wisconsin, Wolfen? I'm a student in Minneapolis, but I live in Milwaukee over breaks :)

Upgrade-wise, If I were to get another amplifier, I'd go with the Crack+Speedball as UE suggested, but honestly it will probably sound like absolute garbage with the HF2. I heard it at a meet a couple years ago, it did wonders with the HD650s, but it made the K701 sound like $30 trash, no resolution and lots of peakiness (OTL design, what're you gonna do...).

But really, HD650/HD600 and the Bottlehead Crack is an amazing combo, and will provide a much deeper listening experience than the HF2 can ever give you, IMO. The HF2 gives a pleasureful light listening experience, but when I really sit down and critically listen, there is only one headphone that I throw over my ears.

EDIT: If you want an amplifier that will do well with both high and low loads, you're probably going to have to stick with solid state, something like a HA160, or a Gilmore Lite. If you can snag a GS-1, you're pretty much set as far as SS amplifiers go no matter what your [dynamic] headphones will be in the future. I've seen a few floating around the FS section lately for good prices, and I must say that I've been tempted deeply.

I've heard good things about the MAD amplifier suggested earlier for all kinds of headphones, but I don't have any personal experience with it so I can't pass judgement. Same goes for the Woo6.

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #27 of 33
I think I am going to sell my Gamma1 and upgrade to the Bifrost first. I've seen quite a few reviews that place it over even the DACMagic! For the "low" price I can't justify not getting one. I want to see if a really good source makes a difference. Then I may upgrade my amp. A Woo6 hopefully. As for the headphones, I don't know yet. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #28 of 33
I had a post written and closed the tab. :) To summarize:

- The WA6 is more important than the source upgrade. Get one that can run the 6FD7 and has the EML rectifier. And add a preamp mod to it. :)

- Don't buy into the high res DAC buzzwords, there's no real 24/96 music delivery standard, 16/48 is all that matters 99% of the time - I'd recommend the NOS Mini DAC from Metrum Acoustics for 350 euro, instead of the Bifrost.

- The HF2 benefits from balanced drive but not like the HD650 and HD800. With my CEC HD53N the HF2 benefits more than with my Headroom, because the CEC is more refined and airy, and it's soundstage is better.

- Don't buy cheap balanced amps. Balanced portable amps are stupid.

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #29 of 33
If you are looking for something not too far off the HF-2 sound but better, try the Magnum.

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #30 of 33
The magnum has a lot of versions, you don't know what your're getting, and the op wants something different, just like I am. :)

Rhydon must send all the magnum versions to innerfidelity for measurement, just to let the customers have some idea about what they're getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back