Where to go from the Gilmore Lite?
Jul 8, 2006 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Svperstar

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got a phone call today, after 3 interviews I got my new job making a nice chunk more than at my current job
smily_headphones1.gif

So I am thinking of rewarding myself with a new amp, in addition to recabling my SA5000s. My budget is $500-$1,000.

I am not sure where to go. I am interested in Tubes, but having never heard a tube amp, I would hate to drop $500-$1000 on a good one and not like the sound.

I like detail, but I also don't like hearing too many pops and clicks. I change between the SA5000s and my Senn 580s quite a bit, the Senns get more use simply because right now my favorite genre of music is Ambient and the SA5ks are too revealing on many tracks.

I'm thinking a slightly warm, dark amp might be a good change from the Gilmore Lite, not that I dislike the Gilmore Lite but variety is good.

I don't know if amps are capable, but I like a wide soundstage, so if any amp enhances the soundstage that would be a great plus.

The only thing I don't want is ridiculously strong bass, I can't stand overpowering bass in headphones, it gives me a headache, I EQ down the bass on the 580s for Bed-Fi. The bass on the SA5ks is perfect IMO and the best I have heard on any can(this is another reason I didn't go tfor the 650s, if they have stronger bass than the 580s......uh no thanks).

So I think a warm dark tube amp, or maybe a hybrid Tube/SS amp might be good.

I could also use a tube as a preamp for the GL, I think I posted about this before. I was thinking about the Little Dot 3

Are there any dark/warm SS amps? That would be good.

Jul 8, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 10
Why don't you take a look at some used tube amps? If you don't like it, you can usually unload it for about the same price you paid.

If you want a new one, what immediately came to mind is the HeadRoom Millett Hybrid. Take a look.

Jul 8, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Why don't you take a look at some used tube amps? If you don't like it, you can usually unload it for about the same price you paid.

If you want a new one, what immediately came to mind is the HeadRoom Millett Hybrid. Take a look.

I will read up on the millett, thanks.

I had been thinking about the Little Dot 2, seemed to be a great price to find out if I liked the "Tube Sound". The Little Dot 3 with its 300+40 shipping seemed a bit much if I wasn't sure I would like Tubes.

However I just saw that there is a LDII+ that fixes those problems and it isn't much more money. I may order one on monday, and if I like it then go for a really high end Tube setup.

Thanks.

Jul 8, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 10
You know, for around Little Dot prices, you might want to consider these:

http://www.eddiecurrent.com/

The LunchBox is $160, and appears to be a good deal. Several here have ordered it, but I don't think anyone has it yet. However, the EC01 is also there and it has gotten excellent reviews here.

Eddie Current is sort of the continuation of Moth Audio. Moth made an excellent product, and I've been very happy with a pair of Cicadas, which are still sold by Eddie Current.

Anyhow, take a look before you buy.

Jul 8, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I've heard the SA5000 sound very good with a Singlepower MPX3-slam, owned by Voltron. He now owns my SA5000, so maybe ask him about the particulars of that amp.

Did Voltron get 5687s at some point (and the adapters)? Becasue if you're talking about what you heard at the Toga meet, then you didn't hear a MPX3 SLAM.

Jul 8, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 10
While you're interested in the Headamp products, check out the GS-1.

Jul 9, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Did Voltron get 5687s at some point (and the adapters)? Becasue if you're talking about what you heard at the Toga meet, then you didn't hear a MPX3 SLAM.

Oh really?! For some reason I though it was a slam, oops! Anyway then, I guess I could only imagine how the higher current tubes must have given it a bit of extra oomph.

Jul 9, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 10
I went from the GL to an X-can v.3 (used around $300). The improvement was pretty significant. But that was with Senn, Grado, and AKG - you get the tube sound with the accurate SS qualities.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back