Where to go from here? Source or Amp?
Oct 28, 2010 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SpikedJuice

Head-Fier
Hi,

I would just like to begin with saying I love it here at the Head-Fi forums! It has opened my eyes to a world of sonic brilliance that I would otherwise have never known about!

A couple of weeks ago, I was lucky enough to get my hands on a few IEM's. Amongst these were the Monster Miles Davis Tributes and Fischer Audio DBA-02's.

They sound wonderful to me with my sources - an iPod Nano 1G and 4G. However, I'm wondering if there is room to make them sound even better? I'm considering upgrading the source or adding an amp but not sure which way to go. I have been looking at the Headstage Arrow amp and wondering if it would provide a significant boost in performance. Or should I change the source first? Sound quality is the deciding factor for me. Budget wise, I would say around the Headstage Arrow mark - just shy of $300.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 3
Hmm well done - pretty decent IEMs, not terrible source...
It's actually quite a tough one, because whilst everything isn't bad the Arrow might be a bit far ahead of both your source and IEMs but with that said I don't think a cheaper amp would do your rig much justice either.

Have a look at the Nationite s:flo2 aka Telecast T51 and see if you think you could live with such a player.
That would be a good starting place if you are happy with the idea of the s:flo2.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks Hero Kid. I took a look at the s:flo2 as you recommended. Although I did say that the sound quality was the deciding factor, I'm hesitant to go for the s:flo2 because of the buggy/non responsive UI/touchscreen and the rather poor battery life. I think the former would drive me mental (I have such a short temper with bad touchscreens) and the latter would be rather limiting when I take it abroad with me.

Interesting that you have recommended upgrading the source rather than the amp. Do you not think the Headstage Arrow would bring about as big an improvement as changing the source?

As an aside, I bought my dad some Sennheiser HD600's which he has never used. I was wondering if I could somehow drive those with whatever upgrade I decide here? Or would it be better to get a separate desktop headphone amp for those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back