Where to get Recabling Done:
Mar 30, 2010 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Brandon7s

100+ Head-Fier
So I have a lovely pair of K701s, and thanks to Marximus's recent purchase of a ALO K701, I have been interested in having a recabling done on my pair. Problem is, I don't really know where to start in finding someone/a company that I could send them into and have recabling done. I see that Moon Audio has headphones for purchase that are already recabled, but I already have the headphones.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 21
If you want the ALO recable, I believe you can send them in and have Ken do it to your current pair. I would double check with him on that.

Alternatively, you can do a recable yourself if you have some basic soldering skills. It's really pretty simple and I'm sure many members (myself included) would be willing to help guide you through. You can also check the DIY section of the forums.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 21
ALO, Moon Audio, APS, just to name a few
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthpeople /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alternatively, you can do a recable yourself if you have some basic soldering skills. It's really pretty simple and I'm sure many members (myself included) would be willing to help guide you through. You can also check the DIY section of the forums.

If I had some DIY skills I'd attempt to do them myself, but considering that I would like duel-entry (and I hear the K701s are some of the more difficult headphones to recable) I think I'll have someone else do it. Especially since I've never even held a solder-gun before.
biggrin.gif
- I really should buy some cheap headphones and work on getting some solder skills, but at the moment, I have about 0 skills in that field.
wink.gif

I looked around some more on the Moon Audio website, and the Black Dragon looks like the cable I'd have done on my pair. I didn't see any pricing for having the K701s recabled by him, but I sent him an email to see what the deal is.

Is there a website for the ALO recabling that I can check out?

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 21
You probably should mention a price range that you want the recable to cost. Lawton audio will do recables but is expensive due to the use of jenna wire. Alo audio, moon audio, headphille, and even cardas will do recables. Most all companies that sell recabled headphones will do a recable for you.

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 21
I can absolutely recommend APS (APureSound). I have had 4 og 5 phones done by Alex and it has been excelent every time.

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can absolutely recommend APS (APureSound). I have had 4 og 5 phones done by Alex and it has been excelent every time.

As far as price range, I don't have a definite limit yet, but I'm thinking something like 300USD or under, including cable installation, not just cable cost.

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #8 of 21
Cable/parts cost is like $40
tongue.gif
You're paying for the labor
biggrin.gif
An amp and/or DAC upgrade would yield far better results though.

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

After looking at the APS website, that looks like a good bet as well. And while I'm aware that a better DAC and Amp would make a big difference, since the stock cable of the K701 is notoriously cheap, it'll bug me until I get it replaced.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Too bad he couldn't DIY because $40 is way way cheaper than a amp or DAC.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 21
True
tongue.gif
Someday I should recable all my headphones with some very good materials. Gotta practice on something like a Grado SR60 first though
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

True
tongue.gif
Someday I should recable all my headphones with some very good materials. Gotta practice on something like a Grado SR60 first though
biggrin.gif

The thing that sucks about Grados is that they have no screws, just glue. Still, good place to start.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

True
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

just buy a real iron and you should have no troubles. recables are so easy ^_^ some times !

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #14 of 21
yes, I should
tongue.gif
not a top priority though. still need a new graphics card and want to sell DT880, ALO-780 and Qinpu A3 and get some different headphones (really want GS1000 or D5000). Then speakers, new DAC maybe and then comes the DIY stuff
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon7s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After looking at the APS website, that looks like a good bet as well. And while I'm aware that a better DAC and Amp would make a big difference, since the stock cable of the K701 is notoriously cheap, it'll bug me until I get it replaced.
biggrin.gif

How do you people even bother making such crazy statements? what makes you think its cheap, is it because its not thick like a hose?

Its a fact that men are obsessed with bigger and thicker things due to Freudian tendencies but calling a cable cheap because its not thick is really silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back