where to get... optical toslink cables
Jan 18, 2010 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Gibertus Jeunus

Head-Fier
I noticed that pretty much all cables manufacturers build pretty much all sorts of cables except optical ones. I figured myself this was because of lack of margin since they are easy and in comparison cheap to build but I'm wondering where to get good ones, any recommendations?
I'd like to cover a pretty long distance (5metres/16fts) then I feel that coaxial is not a good idea and optical fiber does not suffer for distance if I'm right.
A last thing I'm located in France, so any us retailer has to ship ww.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 14
I have had great results with monoprice, who does ship international.

To me one optical cable is like another. I always buy the cheaper ones. I have an expensive optical cable that I love the build quality on, but it does not perform better than the cheap ones. You'll be fine running the cable at 5 meters. Should be able to go further if you need to without a problem.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 14
Beresford TC-3618. No idea if it's available in higher length.
Profigold PGD something. As above, check the legnths. And it's not true all optical cables are the same. They are not. Stay away from thin and flexible ones, even when they say it's made of glass.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had great results with monoprice, who does ship international.

To me one optical cable is like another. I always buy the cheaper ones. I have an expensive optical cable that I love the build quality on, but it does not perform better than the cheap ones. You'll be fine running the cable at 5 meters. Should be able to go further if you need to without a problem.

thanks for your feedback, funny that we have a supermarket company here in France called Monoprix. A very old one indeed. Wonder if Wallmart will ever step a toe here. Guess not with such powerfull french companies like Carrefour and Auchan developping in Europe and Asia already. /offboard

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 14
Read this:

Digital Audio Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

You will learn that in fact coax is more stable over longer distances than optical. But optical is fine up to 50 feet, so your are OK to use it.

I use optical only when there is a grounding problem with coax, which can happen. It has been a lifesaver.

Make your cable decisions simple -- buy all your cables from Blue Jeans Cable, and do exactly what they say. You no longer have to think -- "cables" becomes "Blue Jeans Cable" and that's that.

I got this advice from a Head-Fi'er and it ranks as some of the best advice I've ever received. Would have saved me a lot of cash and heartache if I had adopted this early on.

Sure there are more expensive and exotic cables -- if you believe in them, fine. I bought one $1000-list digital cable off eBay (paying about $480) and one high end ($1500, paid about $600) analog interconnect pair to test this for myself. I cannot hear any difference, so I sold these (got some, not all, of my money back -- I consider what I lost to be tuition) and now use Blue Jeans.

Whether you agree with that or not, get the Blue Jeans (plastic) optical cable -- it is exactly what you want/need.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether you agree with that or not, get the Blue Jeans (plastic) optical cable -- it is exactly what you want/need.

heed this advice! in fact plastic cable often performs better than the exotic glass ones

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #11 of 14
+1 for the Van den Hul The Optocoupler MkII.
Can be ordered in "any" length and I find it to be top notch quality.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 14
Jan 24, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 14
Try Mark Grant - superb quality and service and in the Uk so not too far away.

>>> Mark Grant Cables <<<

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mossman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Mark Grant - superb quality and service and in the Uk so not too far away.

>>> Mark Grant Cables <<<

Do they make 5m optical cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back