Where to get high res audio?
Feb 28, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #16 of 35
Almost everything on Tidal is lossy now. Hires, but lossy. Over the past year or two they have replaced almost every Redbook album with Master and in most cases the Redbook version goes away. It's annoying but I have to say the MQA versions usually sound great.

So, I have it, I like it, it's cheap here and Qobuz is not available at all. If Qobuz ever makes good on their threats (3+ years and counting) to show up here I plan to add it and keep Tidal.
I hqve also more than 100 DSD albums . Y s ASIO drivers are the way to go. I have aony ASIO for my NW-WM1A and DMP-Z1.

As others comment d, CD flac is not bad, master ings is what matters. I have many darn good sounding CDs as well as bad sounding hi-res

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #17 of 35
As others comment d, CD flac is not bad, masterings is what matters
This.

I have several Ramones albums in 24/192. Meanwhile I have heard 320 lossy files of well mastered albums, like Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, etc, that sound better. Of course the layering, staging, imaging and detail improve when you remove those lossy rips and replace with 24 bit files.

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #18 of 35
This is something that should be standardized across all streaming platforms- they should publish whatever info is required to identify the master they're serving. Otherwise there are too many variables in the equation to be able to evaluate why something sounds better or worse, mostly I think we're not comparing the same versions.

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #19 of 35
This.

I have several Ramones albums in 24/192. Meanwhile I have heard 320 lossy files of well mastered albums, like Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, etc, that sound better. Of course the layering, staging, imaging and detail improve when you remove those lossy rips and replace with 24 bit files.
This. I have several 24/192 vinyl rips. Does it sound better than my 24/96 flac files - not necessarily. The vinyl copies definitely have a much more analog sound to them. It mostly depends on the quality of the recording from my experience. Some albums are going to sound worse than others, and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. I don't stream, so I can't be of any service there. I don't mind the additional space these files consume. I have zero doubt that I can hear a moderate to significant difference compared to most mp3 files.

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #20 of 35
I need to cut my flac library down... it's ~18,700 songs and 462.21 jiggabytes!

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #21 of 35
I need to cut my flac library down... it's ~18,700 songs
cut down? You're just getting warmed up...either that or I need intervention.

78,779 files and counting.

20220301_023003.jpg

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #22 of 35
Mar 1, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #23 of 35
well mastered albums
I find the recording/mastering of an album or track often makes a much bigger difference than bit depth and sample rates, but of course ymmv. I guess if you always go for something like 24/192 then you know at least that is not a bottleneck..

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #24 of 35
On my laptop i have a 240GB DDD and my mueic is mirrored and stored into three 4atB external rotating platter drives and two 1TB microSD

How can i protect my drives from an electromagnetic impulse from a nuke attack?

Mar 2, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #25 of 35
On my laptop i have a 240GB DDD and my mueic is mirrored and stored into three 4atB external rotating platter drives and two 1TB microSD

How can i protect my drives from an electromagnetic impulse from a nuke attack?
Are these actual external drives in oem enclosures, like WD books or something? I have 6 10TB drives in a Synology Hybrid Raid Array--1 is for redundancy and 1 is a hot spare, so I actually net ~35 TB of usable space. That is automatically backed up to BackBlaze twice a week plus a local 10TB external runs every night for key data only.

I'd look into an off-site backup solution if you really value the data--there's nothing safer. If you had a Synology or similar NAS, and you had a friend/family that lived somewhere else and didn't mind the bandwidth/power hit, it's possible to put another Synology in that remote location and have the two sync with each other.

Mar 2, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #26 of 35
Mar 2, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #27 of 35
Are these actual external drives in oem enclosures, like WD books or something? I have 6 10TB drives in a Synology Hybrid Raid Array--1 is for redundancy and 1 is a hot spare, so I actually net ~35 TB of usable space. That is automatically backed up to BackBlaze twice a week plus a local 10TB external runs every night for key data only.

I'd look into an off-site backup solution if you really value the data--there's nothing safer. If you had a Synology or similar NAS, and you had a friend/family that lived somewhere else and didn't mind the bandwidth/power hit, it's possible to put another Synology in that remote location and have the two sync with each other.
Yes external wd my passports

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #28 of 35
Yes external wd my passports
Prior to Backblaze, I used iDrive, which I 'think' lets you backup connected drives as long as the software is running on your PC. You might be able to do something like this with Google Drive/Dropbox/etc.--the plan costs will vary depending on how much data there is.

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #29 of 35
Prior to Backblaze, I used iDrive, which I 'think' lets you backup connected drives as long as the software is running on your PC. You might be able to do something like this with Google Drive/Dropbox/etc.--the plan costs will vary depending on how much data there is.

That stuff is fine if you don't care about privacy. If you do, there are some zero-knowledge services that are better choices.

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #30 of 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back