where to get decent quality 4 pin XLRs for my ED9
Apr 16, 2008 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
guys, im getting Ken @ ALO to recable my ultrasone ED9 with some of his famous Jena Labs Cryo 18AWG copper. Now, while my plan was intially to just get it recabled to balanced dual XLRs, for use with my b22, I'd kind of like to have it terminated in a 4-pin XLR instead (as people do with K1Ks), and have 2 swappable "adapters", one with dual male XLRs for use with my b22, and the other with simply a 1/4" single ended connector.

Couple questions, for this purpose, people standarly use 4-pin XLR's right, or am I mistaken and is 5-pin the standard for this (I realize that technically this doesnt matter). Secondly, the wiring scheme for this should be super striaght forward right - if the 4 pin XLR corresponds to (L+,L-,R+,R-), then for the "balanced adapter", I'd want L+ running to XLR-L pin 2, L- running to XLR-L pin 3, and XLR-L pin 1 open. Same thing for the right XLR right, but with the R+/- signals obviously? And for the "single ended adapter", I'd simply just want L+ to go to the L (tip), R+ to go to the ring, and both L- and R- to the ground - correct? I'm pretty sure I'm right here, Ken just wanted a pinout wiring scheme, so I want to make sure Im 100% right on that.

Lastly, although I have yet to get official confirmation from Ken, I believe the grade of connectors he uses are Furutech XLR's and Furutech 1/4" connectors (correct me if I'm wrong here). He needs me to provide the 4 (or 5) pin XLR, so I'm wondering if you guys know of something that would be adequate for this quality of cable/connectors. I'm in Canada, so I'd be less inclined to order overseas, from the USA is fine obviously. Does Furutech even make a 4 or 5 pin XLR available for sale, I'm just thinking that using something like a Neutrik here might be a weak link in the chain and deplete the purpose of having higher grade connectors elsewhere on the recable! Any input is much appreciated here! Thanks all!

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 19
yea i didnt either, and I dont think u can order direct from them anyways, which is why im wondering what other options are going to exist out there for me....obviously there MUST be some - i doubt im the very first person to do this am i?

other than that, my wiring "scheme" looking A-OK?

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 19
I really really really doubt anyone could ever tell the difference between a Neutrik XLR and a Furutech. And no Furutech doesn't make a 4 pin. The stock K1000 4 pins are Neutriks.

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 19
ok. So you dont think id really be at any "disadvantage" perse in having a neutrik 4 pin at that point in the recable, and furutechs later on....wouldnt be weird or take away from the cable in any way? I think im finicking over minor points, i just want to make sure everything is right before i drop a fortune on this cable though, id hate to do it and foundout i had a silly cable made!

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 19
yep, i think ive verified that myself through hours of fruitless searching. would you guys say that should be a fine solution though.....or will it degrade from the cable in some way (ie would i really honestly be better off just leaving it balanced terminated directly to the furutechs...)? input much appreciated

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 19
Just my 2¢ Matt but...

1. I can't imagine spending that much on a recable, this has got to be setting you back $500+, right?

2. I can't imagine using the the Furutech XLR's regardless of the cable involved, they're just insanely expensive. Their 1/4" plugs are actually pretty cheap so no issue there.

And you can find the pin assignments used by the K1000 in the K1k user's manual. It's online somewhere and linked to here a couple times as well.

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 19
yea, thats my concern obviously, or at least the "logic" behind it. honestly i would probably predominantly be using them via my balanced beta 22, but i definitely think id use em once and awhile in a non-balanced configuration. do you guys honestly think that it would be audible having a neutrik connector in the signal path? as opposed to having it directly to the furutechs...?

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 19
@ nate, sorry missed your post, hadnt refreshed. its not QUITE that much, but its close. honestly, im in the same mindset as you, i dont think the audible difference between neutriks and furutechs is something that id be capable of even remotely picking up on, which is why im leaning towards the fact that having a 4 pin XLR in the signal path shouldnt be an issue. if i had the option to just use neutriks and save some cost, id probably go that route, its just that i thought ALO ONLY used furutechs, just by standard. Should I look into the K1K manual....are you hinting at the fact that my above described wiring scheme is incorrect? I thought it was correct, just wanted verification on that. ill check out the k1k manual if you think i need to though

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 19
I can't say I know as I have never herd balanced setups in the first place. I know that I prefer the Furutech 1/4" Plug mainly due to the build of it. Besides the price of the Furutech XLR's will vary in price depening on whither you go for one like this one FURUTECH or this one FURUTECH (Mainly to show an the ends of their price spectrum)

Edit: AFIK ALO is most likely to use Furutech XLR's of choice as they stock them.(I know that they have a verity of plugs that are readily available by them for 1/4" and 1/8" plugs.)

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 19
yes, im looking for a reply from ALO still, as i know they use both of those types in their cables. the latter ones i know are MUCH more expensive and are about $100-120 a pair, and im not sure if those are the ones Ken is including in my quote, or if he is meaning the cheaper ones. If I can save some $ by going with the cheaper furutechs, im sure I will, as i suspect the audible difference would be minimal if at all (especially if i do end up deciding to put a 4 pin neutrik in the path as well).

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #14 of 19
I'm quite sure that I can hear the difference in plugs. I often choose one over another for reasons like ease of mechanical assembly or quality differences related to how long I think the plug will last. Neutrik, being pretty much the industry standard and near bulletproof has always struck me as good enough when it comes to XLR's. Paying 10x that much for Furutechs strikes me as, well, a flipping waste of $$.

And Matt, as usual I pointed you to the source of information but I'm trying to make you do the research yourself.
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 19
I think the less connections that you have to make the better. If your B22 has two three pin XLRs then I would just do two three pin XLRs on the headphones. I really don't see what your hang-up is with having to use the Furutechs. It's your money but it isn't going to make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back