Where to get cables to DIY your own headphone/earphone cable replacement?
Apr 17, 2012 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

thepredestrian

100+ Head-Fier
Wondering if anyone out there knows where to get the soft and malleable type of wire that can be used to DIY your own earphone cable? I've tried 30AWG cables off of ebay but they are still too microphonic. Does anyone know where to get cables that manufacturers get their hands on from? I've scoured the whole earth for them but Im still unable to find any...there has to be a supplier for them somewhere right??

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 15
Mogami: http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/ultra_flex_mini/

Available many places, in the US, I like Markertek. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 15
radioshack,home dept or amazon. i just use bare speaker wire for recabling. same thing as any other wire and cheaper. i use 18awg for my headphones that i re-cabled and just braided it best i could to make it more pleasing to the eye and also to give the cabling more strength. works well for me. if lucky and if it matters to you, your home dept might sell aome 18awg silver wire too. some odd reason mine does which is pretty cool if someone is into that. i don't really bother unless i get a sell on it.

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 15
Ranking of microphonic generation

TELFON >> PE >> PVC

in the real world, it doesn't matter when it comes to headphones or even speakers. i have headphones using basic speaker wire with pvc insulation and a headphone with teflon. do i have, or better yet notice any difference between them involving microphonics? nope. do they either have issues with it as well? nope. overall it shouldn't matter. get what you prefer or whatever is cheaper.

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 15
He means microphonics as in transmitted physical noise from a headphone cable that bumps cloth, or zippers, etc. Some cables are noisier than others - and it can be distracting if you move about (e.g. IEMS on a commute). 

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
I apologize for being lazy and not finding the exact links for you, but the DIY Cable Gallery thread in the DIY forum has links to everything you ask for. I think most of the materials posts don't start until around page 300.

Thanks. I'll just prop myself up tonight with a nice cup of hot chocolate as I pore through 300 pages of audio literature until the wee hours.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 15
you
  Wondering if anyone out there knows where to get the soft and malleable type of wire that can be used to DIY your own earphone cable? I've tried 30AWG cables off of ebay but they are still too microphonic. Does anyone know where to get cables that manufacturers get their hands on from? I've scoured the whole earth for them but Im still unable to find any...there has to be a supplier for them somewhere right??

you can find some on their shop, http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4392  i got some30awg wire from them,

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 15
Originally Posted by thepredestrian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Where to get cables to DIY your own headphone/earphone cable replacement?

Not sure about IEM cables, but for reference if it's for a full size headphone I'd search for Starquad 4-core mic cables on eBay. You can get them in shorter cuts off huge spools from some sellers there. Over here some retailers like pro audio stores sell shorter cuts (1m minimum), but not the better brands like Mogami. You just need to cut the jacket and undo the braiding for the Y-junction and redo the braiding up to each earcup if it's a dual entry type headphone; AKG K702 et al will only require soldering on the mini-XLR plug. These can be a bit heavy for IEMs though, although I'd bet the microphonics should be good (considering they're mic cables, and some performers jump around the stage with a wired mic).

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 15
I have also been looking for over a month now. It seems there is no retailer that sells "earphone cable".

One method is to buy "earphones extension cable" on ebay which comes complete with jacks, and cut away the jacks. There are lengths up to 10 metres but am not sure about the quality/flexibility yet.

I have also found this, from the US, but am not sure of the "21 AWG" sounds too thin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canare-L-4E6S-Unterminated-Star-Quad-Balanced-Microphone-Cable-Bulk-10-Orange-/301133803132?pt=US_Cables_Snakes_Interconnects&hash=item461cf92e7c

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 15
Not too thin by a long shot....that is some very fat cable. Many use it for headphones, but it would think far to heavy, even stripped, for portable/iem use. I like it for full size use....

I have also been looking for over a month now. It seems there is no retailer that sells "earphone cable".

One method is to buy "earphones extension cable" on ebay which comes complete with jacks, and cut away the jacks. There are lengths up to 10 metres but am not sure about the quality/flexibility yet.

I have also found this, from the US, but am not sure of the "21 AWG" sounds too thin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canare-L-4E6S-Unterminated-Star-Quad-Balanced-Microphone-Cable-Bulk-10-Orange-/301133803132?pt=US_Cables_Snakes_Interconnects&hash=item461cf92e7c

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 15
Hi please can you help me,
i am looking for a cable with 2 cores or with one shielded core. This cable must be flexible, i need to roll it in roll up device- something like 00093533Hama"Roll Up" Vehicle Charging Cable (https://uk.hama.com/00093533/hama-roll-up-vehicle-charging-cable-micro-usb)
and with max 1,6 mm width, 3,7V and 1A. Please can you write me where can i buy it. Thx for help.

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 15
Hi, please can yo help me,
i am looking for a cable with 2 cores or with one shielded core. This cable must be flexible, i need to roll it in roll up device- like 00093533Hama"Roll Up" Vehicle Charging Cable.
and with max 1,6 mm width, 3,7V and 1A. Please write me where can i buy it. Thx for help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back